is this a joke?  george clooney?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

+

=

george clooney in seven samurai

©brad

i tell yah, a good superhero power would be the ability to redlight movies in development.

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 29, 2006, 12:48:04 PM
Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen is set to lead in the Hollywood remake of Japanese classic "The Seven Samurai", alongside George Clooney and Chinese starlet Zhang Ziyi, a film company said.

"For the last time, I'm not Japanese!"

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Chris Tucker to Star in Bollywood Remake

Hollywood actor Chris Tucker is set to star in a Hollywood remake of a Bollywood hit about a mafioso who enrolls in medical school, an Indian newspaper reported Monday.

"Munnabhai MBBS" was a hit in India and among South Asians living abroad, and will be remade as "Gangster M.D.," the remake's director, Mira Nair, was quoted as telling the Mumbai Mirror newspaper.

"Chris Tucker will be playing the main character in the film," said Nair, adding that filming should begin after Tucker finishes making "Rush Hour 3."

Munnabhai MBBS tells the story of a mafia leader who pretends to be a doctor whenever his parents visit him from their village.

But when his cover is blown, he decides to better himself by trying to become a doctor which he hopes will also prove himself to the woman he loves and her father, a hospital superintendent.

Nair said she may cast some actors from the Bollywood original, and is on the lookout for an Indian woman to star opposite Tucker.

Nair, who splits her time between homes in New York and Uganda, has made movies including "Vanity Fair," "Monsoon Wedding" and "Mississippi Masala."

Her 1988 film, "Salaam Bombay!" about the city's street children was nominated for an Academy Award for best foreign language film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Gangsta MD was written by Jason Filardi (Bringing Down the House)  :yabbse-thumbdown:

MacGuffin

Bean thumbs killer role in new 'Hitcher'

Sean Bean is thumbing his way to "The Hitcher," Rogue Pictures' remake of the 1986 horror film being produced by Platinum Dunes. Sophia Bush also is on board the film, which is being directed by veteran music video helmer Dave Meyers. The script follows a young couple driving across the country who become prey for a serial killer, who blames all of his murders on the young man. Eric Bernt wrote the current draft. Bean will carve out the serial killer role made famous by Rutger Hauer in the original. Bush (WB Network's "One Tree Hill") has been cast as the young woman; casting is imminent on the young man. Producing are Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller as well as Charles Meeker and Alfred Haber. Production is scheduled to start this month in Austin and Santa Fe, N.M. Bean, repped by CAA and ICM London, is shooting "The Outlaw," directed by Nick Love. The series of historical telepics produced in the 1990s that featured Bean in the star-making role of British army Lt. Richard Sharpe recently aired for the first time in the U.S. on BBC America. He is best known here for his appearances in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy as well as recent features "Flightplan" and "North Country."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The Stepfather Returns
Yet another horror remake in the works.

Variety reports that Screen Gems has snapped up the remake rights to the 1987 horror thriller, The Stepfather. Greg Mooradian and Maverick Films' Mark Morgan and Guy Oseary, the team behind Fox 2000's Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, will produce.

The Joseph Ruben-directed original made a cult star out of Terry O'Quinn (Lost). The title character would go from state to state, marrying different widows.

He would later kill off his new families after they failed to live up to his psychotic standards of perfection. He then moved on in search of his next perfect family.

The original film was scripted by crime novelist Donald E. Westlake. It spawned The Stepfather II in 1989.

Screen Gems' are doing a couple of remakes at the moment. They're also currently working on bringing Alex Murphy back to the big screen – in a "Robocop" redo.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Peter Filardi to script IT and WOLFEN remakes
Source: Fangoria

Peter Filardi is becoming the go-to guy for television horror adaptations. The FLATLINERS and THE CRAFT scribe cut his teeth on small-screen scares with 2004's redux of 'SALEM'S LOT for TNT, and this summer he's back with the network on THE ROAD VIRUS HEADS NORTH, one of eight Stephen King-based minimovies in the series NIGHTMARES AND DREAMSCAPES, which bows July 12.

During a panel discussion at Fango's Weekend of Horrors in Burbank, Filardi dished a few details on some fresh projects he's got in the works. On the King side, the writer told Fango he's still developing a new televisualization of the author's epic novel IT (previously done as a two-part ABC movie in 1990). Originally slated for TNT as a two-hour movie, IT has now caught the interest of the Sci Fi Channel, which wants to stretch it out (and rightfully so!) to a four-hour broadcast event. You may recall that early reports stated Filardi's approach to the material would be to tell IT through the eyes of the character of Beverly Marsh.

Filardi also reveals another pair of scripts for TNT that are keeping him busy. The first is an adaptation of COLDHEART CANYON, Clive Barker's lurid and supernatural tale of Hollywood decadence; the second is a new take on Whitley Streiber's 1978 novel THE WOLFEN, which was previously brought to the big screen in 1981 courtesy of director Michael (WOODSTOCK) Wadleigh. That film, truncating the title to just WOLFEN, starred Albert Finney as a New York detective investigating a series of murders that appear to be animal attacks...furthermore, wolf attacks. Gregory Hines and Diane Venora co-starred.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 09, 2006, 01:19:04 AM
"The Eye" (2007)  The remake... was penned by Sebastian Gutierrez, whose credits include "Snakes on a Plane" and "Gothika."

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

dammit.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Oldboy Remake in Holding Pattern     

Lady Vengeance, the final installment of Korean director Park Chan-wook's unofficial "vengeance trilogy," may still be letting blood in domestic theaters, but it's the 2004 Cannes Film Festival Grand Prix-winning Oldboy, which grossed over $15 million internationally and caused an arthouse stir with its dark mix of sadism and surrealism, that Hollywood most has on its mind.

A strange and twisted tale that's equal parts Quentin Tarantino, David Fincher and David Lynch, Oldboy centers on the quest for reprisal undertaken by a man held imprisoned for 15 years in a small efficiency apartment, and framed for his wife and daughter's murder by someone he doesn't even know. While cutting a bloody swath of revenge to and fro, he also tries to figure out the why behind his unusual punishment.

On the heels of the movie's Stateside release last spring, Universal picked up the American remake rights, and rumors flew that Nicolas Cage was interested in starring in the film. Indie helmer turned studio hired hand Justin Lin, who has The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift set to drop next month, was bandied about as a possible director, and even contributed an unofficial story pitch that put him in the catbird's seat. Unfortunately, that also put him squarely in the sights of vociferous, ankle-nipping detractors who want guarantees of a more idiosyncratic take on the project.

"The studio has it," Lin recently told Now Playing magazine. "I'm still trying to..." Here he pauses judiciously. "We'll see. It would really have to be the right situation. I know the situation I would like it to be, and if it's not that, then they should find a great filmmaker to make it. It was one of those movies that blew me away. I have very strong opinions on it, and I haven't come close to developing those to the point [where I'd] actually want to remake it yet. I'm very protective of that film."

"There's been lots of speculation out there, a lot of people trashing me," Lin continues. "The terms would have to be right, and that's an ongoing assessment. You don't want to make a Xerox copy because the original is so brilliant. One day hopefully someone will cross that bridge, but right now nothing's happening with it. If anything, it's actually safely tucked away."

Plotting its revenge, no doubt...

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Screenwriter John Fusco (Hidalgo, Young Guns) has been tapped to bring a little bit of the American west to 16th Century Japan. Seeing as Kurosawa originally used the Western for inspiration during Samurai, this seems like a logical choice. Whether or not the remake should happen in the first place? Well, that's a debate I'm sure will heat up as time goes on.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 11, 2006, 02:43:52 PM
Whether or not the remake should happen in the first place? Well, that's a debate I'm sure will heat up as time goes on.

I think debates, by definition, need more than one side.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Have Rapper, Will Remake
Eminem under Par's Gun.

Variety reports that rapper/actor Eminem will star in a big-screen remake of the TV classic Have Gun – Will Travel for Paramount Pictures. The project will be a contemporary take on the 1950's Western series that starred Richard Boone.

Paramount reportedly has an 18-month option to develop Have Gun as an action drama for Eminem. Interscope/Shady/Aftermath Films will produce. Eminem may also contribute to some portion of the soundtrack or score.

"Concept will be updated to contemporary times and see Eminem playing a bounty hunter, " Variety claims. "Setting could be Eminem's hometown of Detroit, but those details have yet to be worked out."

The trade, citing Eminem's manager Paul Rosenberg, claims Have Gun "will be revamped from the original, with some characters based loosely on ones from the series as well as nods to certain story points."

It would seem highly unlikely that Eminem's character will be a brandy-sipping, Shakespeare-quoting, chess player like Boone's Paladin.

Have Gun – Will Travel had long been developed as a period pic; John Travolta was once attached to star.

This won't be the first contemporized and not very Western-like feature remake of a TV oater: 1987's Wanted: Dead or Alive, a follow-up to the old Steve McQueen series, starred Rutger Hauer as the descendant of McQueen's bounty hunter.

Skeleton FilmWorks