Best Director

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 25, 2005, 08:51:42 PM

Stefen

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: StefenI just think eternal sunshine is a TAD bit overrrated around here, the way LIT and PDL are.
i just said that exact same thing.

YES, thats why I used those two films as examples, so maybe you would see how eternal sunshine is getting overrated the same way those other two are.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

i don't like the over-praise (different to overrating?) either, but what i was originally replying to was ur agreement with brockly's nonsensical anti-gondry remark.

it seems that there's a fanboy favorite every year, where ppl just vote automatically on what a "smart" person would vote on, and not on what is actually the best. now to repeat myself: this year it's different cos eternal is the actually the best, (next to the dreamers which everyone slept on), whereas with those other examples they were not that good at all.

it's probably a confusion between overrated and overpraised. i don't think a good reviewer can overrate a good movie, but a bunch of dumbasses can easily overpraise sumthing with countless reviews of "this movie is trippy!". that's what sucks.
under the paving stones.

brockly

Quote from: Pubrickhaha, this anti-gondry thing a few of u are trying to do is really stupid.

please, for once this board has overpraised a deserving film. unlike bargain-bin movies like Lost in Translation and PDL, eternal sunshine will actually be seen again in the years to come.

Quote from: Pubricki don't like the over-praise (different to overrating?) either, but what i was originally replying to was ur agreement with brockly's nonsensical anti-gondry remark.

it seems that there's a fanboy favorite every year, where ppl just vote automatically on what a "smart" person would vote on, and not on what is actually the best. now to repeat myself: this year it's different cos eternal is the actually the best, (next to the dreamers which everyone slept on), whereas with those other examples they were not that good at all.

it's probably a confusion between overrated and overpraised. i don't think a good reviewer can overrate a good movie, but a bunch of dumbasses can easily overpraise sumthing with countless reviews of "this movie is trippy!". that's what sucks.

come on man, you think eternal sunshine is the best film of the year, great!, but i could just as easily say the same shit about PDL and LiT, and call your remarks against them "nonsensical". besides, this is a private voting system, so why the fuck would anybody "vote automatically on what a "smart" person would vote on, and not on what is actually the best." not trying to be anti-gonry, just dont think he deserved to win, or even be nominated. but its cool. i dont mind kaufman winning for best screenplay (i love the guy), and i would like to think that eternal sunshine won best film because of kaufman fanboys, so there are really only 2 decisions here that i cant stand, which is better than the last two years. at least eternal sunshine was overlooked in the acting categories, first time the cast of the sweeping film has been rightfully ignored by Xixax, how wonderful.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

i voted for eastwood.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I voted Gondry here, but it's because I felt he directed the best of those... I don't necessarily think that Sunshinse deserved every award it got, but let's not get mad at the movie just because it won.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

So this is the part where you guys say who you voted for?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

mogwai

NEON MERCURY

Alexandro

if xixax is the anti oscars, we should have given it to marty...we can count on the fact they'll never give an oscar to him...

Myxo

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi voted for braff

You're signature frightens me Neon.