MAGNOLIA NOISE (Gamblor)

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 01, 2005, 05:01:59 AM

Jeremy Blackman

SHAFTR

I think even more interesting is the fact that Anderson ignores/destroys the typical sound hierarchy of 1.dialogue/2.foley/3.music during the scene that plays after the one you analyzed.  It is often difficult to hear the dialogue of the scene over Mann's music.  Including your observations, the sound hierarchy and the sing-a-long, the use of sound in Magnolia is amazing and groundbreaking.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Redlum

Interesting read Gamblor. And I learnt a new term - 'diegetic'.

A lot of the Sound Mixing "making ofs" (especially the Lucas stuff), focus  too much how they find the strangest real-life sounds to represent creations in the film. This was a really good study of the craft involved that really makes me want to hear from the engineer himself. It would be interesting to see how much of this was of PTAs design.

Duh. Thanks Cinephile!
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cine

Quote from: ®edlumInteresting read JB.
This link was posted by JB but in brackets it says (Gamblor).. so yeah.. thats who the author is of each article.

Gamblour.

SHAFTR - perhaps the prologue is used to introduce the audience to a different type of sound mix, where you don't have to hear what the people you see are saying, only what is important and necessary (i.e. Ricky Jay's narration or the lyrics to "One").

I remember while writing this, I wish I had the sound people in front of me to ask why and how in the fuck they were able to mish-mash such seemingly incoherent noises together, and still evoke emotional responses. How did they know it would work? It's incredibly ballsy.
WWPTAD?

sickfins

don't forget how sound from the rest of magnolia is recycled in the prologue

there is a short conversation between phil and earl played backwards, some of earl's words are dispersed in louder portions

Gamblour.

Quote from: sickfinsdon't forget how sound from the rest of magnolia is recycled in the prologue

there is a short conversation between phil and earl played backwards, some of earl's words are dispersed in louder portions

Wow, I really didn't know that. Do you know exactly when?
WWPTAD?