Barry Lyndon

Started by Ghostboy, February 09, 2003, 02:18:02 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMy opinion of Barry Lyndon is that it is the second best Kubrick film ever made, very near to 2001.

Sometimes I love you, GT...  :kiss: ...  :oops:

Ghostboy

So who is looking forward to Ryan O'Neal's upcoming film, 'Malibu's Most Wanted?' It's a gangsta action comedy also starring Jamie Kennedy and Snoop Dog as the voice of a talking rat.

Ernie

Yeah, I can't really get into many pre-1920's period pieces a lot of the time myself. I guess it starts to feel too much like school after awhile. Anything about the 20's through the 80's is fucking cool by me though, I love that stuff. I don't think there have been any 90's period pieces yet, right?

Anyway, Barry Lyndon was no easier for me to get into than any other 1800's set film I've ever seen. Like I said, it just started to feel like a film I would watch in history class. Don't get me wrong, it was technically AMAZING. The cinematography and the direction was just perfection in every sense of the word...but the story and the characters and all that just didn't click with me I guess. They really bored me. I mean, 2001 is slow...but the urgency is so intriguing...so you want to keep watching. That's why I love that film. Barry Lyndon didn't have that urgency. There did come a point where I didn't give a fuck about it anymore.

Oh well...I still love Kubrick.

picolas

Quote from: ebeaman69I don't think there have been any 90's period pieces yet, right?

Fight Club (?)

Ernie

Quote from: GhostboyBTW, found this interesting site that offers a lot of in-depth insight into all Kubrick's works...

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/

Oh, that's an awesome site. I've always wanted to actually understand Dr Strangelove. I love that movie for the most superficial reasons. I don't get any of the jokes but I still love it.

©brad

Quote from: ebeaman69Yeah, I can't really get into many pre-1920's period pieces a lot of the time myself. I guess it starts to feel too much like school after awhile. Anything about the 20's through the 80's is fucking cool by me though, I love that stuff. I don't think there have been any 90's period pieces yet, right?

Anyway, Barry Lyndon was no easier for me to get into than any other 1800's set film I've ever seen. Like I said, it just started to feel like a film I would watch in history class. Don't get me wrong, it was technically AMAZING. The cinematography and the direction was just perfection in every sense of the word...but the story and the characters and all that just didn't click with me I guess. They really bored me. I mean, 2001 is slow...but the urgency is so intriguing...so you want to keep watching. That's why I love that film. Barry Lyndon didn't have that urgency. There did come a point where I didn't give a fuck about it anymore.

Oh well...I still love Kubrick.

ahhh to be 16 again...

Pubrick

Quote from: ebeaman69I've always wanted to actually understand Dr Strangelove.
Quote from: General Jack D. RipperI can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Interesting facts about the film:
-The dictionary definition of "Merkin" (the president's first name) is "a pubic wig".
-It is universally acknowledged that the film is full of phallic references. (refuelling; cigar chomping; bomb riding; etc)
-Men especially love it.

Quote from: ebeaman69I don't get any of the jokes but I still love it.
Quote from: cbrad4dahhh to be 16 again...

*sigh*
the anniversary of his death was yesterday.
under the paving stones.

Ernie

Ok...where to start.

First of all, cbrad...you know damn well the average 16 year old wouldn't have acknowledged the cinematography and direction of Barry Lyndon if they didn't like it, they would have just bashed it for being slow. I didn't do that, I pointed out the parts I liked about it. You know, It's kinda funny how Duck Sauce didn't get ridiculed for not liking the film but I FUCKING DID! That is fucking funny! That is agism, that is prejudice and that should be illegal on these boards. Alright, I'm not going to apolgize for my fucking opinion this time. I didn't go overboard, I didn't lose my temper, and I didn't bash the film. I said what I thought politely with respect to those that love the film.

And Pubrick...as for Strangelove....look, I admitted that I like the film for superficial reasons, sue me. I like it because it's still fun to watch despite not getting any of the jokes. Just to watch it for the direction and that stuff is good enough for me. I also fucking said I was willing to learn, alright. I didn't say, "oh, that happened before I was born so who gives a fuck about it." I said "I don't really get any of the jokes but I'd be willing to learn so that I could."

Ghostboy

Quick! Someone post the Special Olympics picture!

Ernie

Quote from: GhostboyQuick! Someone post the Special Olympics picture!

That should have been posted before I posted. They antagonized me and I said what I thought about it, there's nothing wrong with that. What did you want me to say in response to them?...."oh, I'm sorry...I should have never posted my opinion...you guys are right, I'm sorry...what was I thinking?"

Sorry man but I swear to god I won't apologize for posting my opinion this time. I didn't do anything wrong this time. I didn't offend anybody. I didn't bash Barry Lyndon or Strangelove. Lol, I didn't even say I didn't like Strangelove. I also was pointing out blatant agism (discrimination based on age) on the boards. Duck Sauce said he didn't like it and nobody said shit. I said I didn't like it and two obviously condescending replies magically appear....weird stuff.

MacGuffin

"Stop! I'm getting dizzy from spinning in my grave."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Dont drag me into this.

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffin
"Stop! I'm getting dizzy from spinning in my grave."

:? From the people in the world that loathe ALL of his movies with a passion or from me not liking ONE of his movies? I'm confused.

sphinx

Quote from: ebeaman69:? From the people in the world that loathe ALL of his movies with a passion or from me not liking ONE of his movies? I'm confused.

i think he accidentally bought one of those spinning graves

Ernie

Quote from: Duck SauceDont drag me into this.

Oh, like anybody's actually going to agree with me...come on man. You don't have anything to worry about. You didn't do anything wrong. And even if you had, nobody would have said anything. Remember, I'M the one that has to phrase all of my opinions to the liking of everybody else...you can say whatever you want. And if, at any time, I don't comply with these constraints on my opinion, not to worry...cbrad and Pubrick never fail to shoot me back down where all silly 16 year olds belong. Wouldn't want them getting their own opinions, would we? Next thing you know they're going to want the drinking age lowered! We just can't have any of that. It's just insane!