Toy Story 4

Started by Alethia, March 19, 2019, 03:21:39 PM

Alethia

3 was the perfect capper. Can't bring myself to watch this.

Drenk

Ascension.

polkablues

Using "God Only Knows" as the trailer music is emotional blackmail.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

The Ultimate Badass

I found the trailer to be a bit cringey, to be honest.

Alethia

Yep this is really good.

The Ultimate Badass

Not so much a bad movie as an utterly unnecessary and unremarkable one. The movie is so full of cliches and popular tropes it seems like it was spit out of a computer program.

As an aside, the fact that there is even a fucking Toy Story 4 is testament to the fact that the Pixar ethos is dead. They've been completely absorbed into the Disney borg.

Sleepless

Quote from: The Ultimate Badass on June 24, 2019, 12:18:10 AM
Not so much a bad movie as an utterly unnecessary and unremarkable one. The movie is so full of cliches and popular tropes it seems like it was spit out of a computer program.

Agree. I felt like we'd seen much of this before in previous Toy Stories. Pretty sure they've even done the creepy dummy in one of the holiday specials too, no? It's fine, but as with most other Pixar sequels, it's not one you're going to intentionally watch again in a hurry.

Was entertaining for what it was, but largely forgettable. Unremarkable is the word, for sure.

Quote from: The Ultimate Badass on June 24, 2019, 12:18:10 AM
As an aside, the fact that there is even a fucking Toy Story 4 is testament to the fact that the Pixar ethos is dead. They've been completely absorbed into the Disney borg.

I'm hopefully now that Pete Doctor is in charge and seems to be encouraging the idea of more originals, less sequels. The fact that we're getting two originals next year is a positive sign. And don't forget these movies take a few years to produce. But we'll see. The Onwards trailer looks way too Dreamworksy, but it sounds like there's potential for a genuine Pixar story about growing up and the need for magic in everyday life. And then Soul, of course, is PD's follow up to Inside Out, which is sure to be everyone's favorite animated movie of the year. They've been through a slump, for sure, but hopefully they're getting out of it. 7 out of their past 11 films have been sequels, and, of those 11, I think it's fair to say only 4 are "good Pixar": Toy Story 3, Brave, Inside Out, Coco.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia

I didn't want a fourth installment, but am very happy with how it turned out. I felt Woody's arc in this one was pretty special - 3 was a perfect closer for the story of the whole group, but 4

POTENTIAL LIGHT
Spoiler: ShowHide

closes the door on Woody in a really touching way.

But then, I'm a softy!

Something Spanish

riding shotgun on the Forky bandwagon, loved it. not as good as 2 or 3, although as a touching capper for Woody it's existence is justified. 

Ravi

I liked it, and I did think the end was moving. But this is a strange situation in which a fourth, "unnecessary" film is quite good, but I probably won't rewatch it since TS3 was the perfect end for this series.

wilberfan

As the Cinema Curmudgeon around here (so much contemporary cinema just doesn't impress me at all)--and as someone who hasn't been impressed with a Pixar film for quite awhile now, I was shocked by how much I LOVED this movie.

Loved everything about it.  Story, performances, direction, cinematography...  Laughed my ass off and, yes, teared-up a couple of times.   Also includes one of the most impressive debut comic supporting characters in the history of the movies.  Technical aspects were absolutely first-rate and a brilliant coda at the very, very, very end.  (You had to sit thru ALL the credits to catch that one.)

Perhaps it wasn't "necessary", but it might be my favorite thing I've seen on the very big screen so far this year.

Drenk

It was...all right! But Pixar is Disney is Marvel.
Ascension.

jviness02

This felt like a good epilogue. Still feels like TS3 is the ending. Definitely the worst of the bunch,  but still pretty good.