violet by bas devos

Started by jenkins, November 12, 2014, 03:49:26 PM

jenkins

15-year-old Jesse is the only one who witnessed the stabbing of his friend Jonas. Now he has to face his family and friends form the BMX riders crew and explain the unexplainable - how he feels about it.
Director: Bas Devos
Writer: Bas Devos
Language: Flemish

choosing this as the crazy afi topic i start, because i think the movie was great, but i don't think it's for everyone

could be seen as a different version of gus van sant's paranoid park, a type of cinema i think of as "hypnotic" or "magnetic" or something like "philosophically vibratory." do you ever vibrate your soul? i guess not everyone does, what can ya do

it takes its fucking time. clu gulager was in the front row and left during the movie. i heard people leaving during this like they left during buzzard. it comes to taste a bit right here. in both movies i understand why people could be leaving the theater, but i think violet was worth staying for in a way buzzard wasn't, like i think inherent vice is worth rewatching but interstellar isn't. it's people's opinions stuff. there's a bit of a voice in my own head, which i sometimes listen to and sometimes don't. like what about how i seem to be having a "hard time" with listen up philip, but while describing john wick i said i appreciate when a movie stays true to its character

i think allowing myself freedom to be governed by my impulses and emotions, i tend to drive intoxicated. for better or worse, i think violet drinks along with me

a number of movies (self made, the duke of burgundy, girlhood) had endings that i found questionable. but i think this slam-dunks its close. it also creates a terrific concert scene, sweet big air bike jumps, and contemplative portraits of kids on bikes in different ways

heard a guy in the theater tell two people in two different conversations that he thought violet was a beautiful movie, supremely beautiful, he said this with sincere admiration, and one guy asked if it was better than under the skin and the guy said yes

wilder

Was just reading a review of this and searched the forum to see if there was a topic. There was, here it is, and I guess I upvoted it already so I must have read it but my head doesn't store memories the way it used to. Really looking forward to this. It's also shot on 65.

wilder