Zero Theorem

Started by wilder, July 19, 2013, 03:57:44 PM

wilder

A computer hacker's goal to discover the reason for human existence continually finds his work interrupted thanks to the Management; this time, they send a teenager and lusty love interest to distract him.

Directed by Terry Gilliam
Written by Pat Rushin
Starring Christoph Waltz, Matt Damon, Tilda Swinton, David Thewlis, Peter Stormare, and Ben Wishaw
Release Date - TBD

Just Withnail

Oh look, it's Brazil, but now instead of then.

Just Withnail

Not bad, just incredibly boring I think.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

I'm not sure I saw anything significantly intriguing in that full-length trailer, which I did not expect. This feels like it has an 80% chance of being disastrously bad.

Just Withnail

Yes, and I don't think my eyes could stand those colors for two hours.

Mel

Quote from: Just Withnail on January 28, 2014, 05:02:59 AM
Yes, and I don't think my eyes could stand those colors for two hours.

I was about to say it is nice to see a film that doesn't use horrible pastel palette dominated by teal and orange (almost every blockbusters has orange people and cold washed down backgrounds). I'll welcome some fluorescence for a change (deep red, deep green, golds, browns are harder and harder to find in modern film).
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Pubrick

tedious overuse of teal and grey doesn't automatically make obnoxious overuse of some other palette any more acceptable.

not to mention gilliam's trademark lopsided camera which is just stupid at this point. he and tom hooper must've come from the same slanty shanty school of filmmaking, though it's kind of worked out well for the latter.

i harp on about his stupid angles because that's all he's got. the impression given by tilting the camera, that something "weird" or "bizarre" is happening and must be communicated in an obvious way, becomes distracting when the actual content of the scene is not that interesting.

just look at this trailer full of nonsense statements. he just needs to stop trying to do whatever he's trying to do. he's been trying to do it for so long that he seems to have forgotten if he ever achieved it at some point. he has gone beyond parody and is now just an empty parade of meaningless symbols appealing only to people who like to use the word "random" as the highest form of compliment.
under the paving stones.

Mel

Quote from: Pubrick on January 28, 2014, 11:38:00 AM
tedious overuse of teal and grey doesn't automatically make obnoxious overuse of some other palette any more acceptable.

I spotted few color schemes in trailer, it looks more like a mise-en-scene than "lets paint everything pink for 90 minutes".

i harp on about his stupid angles because that's all he's got. the impression given by tilting the camera, that something "weird" or "bizarre" is happening and must be communicated in an obvious way, becomes distracting when the actual content of the scene is not that interesting.

On other hand Abrams and Bay like to indicate action with Dutch angles. Weird angles won't die with Gilliam.

just look at this trailer full of nonsense statements. he just needs to stop trying to do whatever he's trying to do. he's been trying to do it for so long that he seems to have forgotten if he ever achieved it at some point. he has gone beyond parody and is now just an empty parade of meaningless symbols appealing only to people who like to use the word "random" as the highest form of compliment.

To be honest I didn't see anything that he created after "Fear and Loathing", looks like I'm not missing much.

diggler

Horrible trailer, which is a shame because Gilliam movies should be a trailer editor's dream. As for the movie, I'll probably like 30% of it and it will take me three tries to get through it, just like every other Gilliam movie made this century.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pwaybloe

The Fateful Zero Findings Theorem

Mel

This trailers shows a little more, maybe even too much. Otherwise I feel it is much better than previous trailers. There is some hope?

wilder

Blu-ray from Well Go USA on January 20, 2015

Just Withnail

A blu-ray announcement before any reviews are posted is rarely a good sign.