Sidney Lumet

Started by Stefen, April 28, 2004, 09:34:45 PM

SoNowThen

I'm talking from the point of view of the creator, regardless of any public or critical opinion. I've read that Kubrick said something along the lines that he knows once something is committed to film it's there for good, so he wanted to get it perfect. I'm not like that at all. That's all...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenI'm not like that at all. That's all...
that isn't that case these days. it was prolly true for him when he was doing his stuff in the 60s/70s (where most of his quotes come from), and even till his death he only made one movie in the time of modern technolgy. so his theories and misconceptions of the world are not necessarily applicable. this is what i said in Stefen's thread.. it's fun to see what ppl said/believed in, but it really amounts to very little cos shit just ain't the same as when they said it.

nahmean?
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

I think so...

So you figure that it's possible nowadays to go back to journeyman filmmaking, where you can get a whole slew of movies in? Because of technology, current trends, other?

Edit: I guess, also, I wanted to ask -- Do you think there's some sorta signpost in EWS that indicates the kind of change in approach that would mean SK's output frequency would increase?

I don't favor one approach or the other. Obviously if I was given the chance to pick Lumet or Kubrick, I would pick SK. I think the Tarantino/PTA/Kubrick mold of making fewer movies generally produces better movies. But again, as a person in need of creating, I'd fall more under the Soderbergh camp.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenSo you figure that it's possible nowadays to go back to journeyman filmmaking, where you can get a whole slew of movies in? Because of technology, current trends, other?
definitely. these are fassbinder times.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: SoNowThenSo you figure that it's possible nowadays to go back to journeyman filmmaking, where you can get a whole slew of movies in? Because of technology, current trends, other?
definitely. these are fassbinder times.

:yabbse-thumbup:

That can only be good for cinema!!!

Pubrick

i woudn't be so quick to judge the consequences.

we may all choke on our vomit.
under the paving stones.

Sal

Sydney is so golden.

life_boy

Has no one here seen The Verdict?  Overshadowed, no doubt, by other films in the Lumet canon (Network, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico), it is still a stirring drama and interesting character study, featuring a tremendous performance by Paul Newman and a wonderful supporting performance by James Mason.  It is, indeed, more than a courtroom drama.  I'm surprised Mamet fans haven't picked up on it, considering he wrote the screenplay (adapted from the novel by Barry Reed).

socketlevel

Quote from: MacGuffin
The director of such cinematic landmarks as "Serpico," "Dog Day Afternoon," "Network," "12 Angry Men" and "The Verdict" starts sizing up the set that will be used as a judge's chambers in the next scene on the day's already busy schedule.

shit, let us not forget about the wiz

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

Sidney Knows You're Dead

Word comes from Cannes that screen master Sidney Lumet, whose latest accomplishment was making Find Me Guilty and star Vin Diesel far more than tolerable, will next direct a thriller entitled Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Though "advanced negotiations are currently under way with another award-winning male star" to fill one of the lead roles (the IMDb thinks it's Philip Seymour Hoffman), the movie already features a pretty stacked cast, including Marisa Tomei, Ethan Hawke, and the great Albert Finney.

Based on a screenplay co-written by Lumet, the movie tells the intense-sounding story of two brothers (one of whom seems to be played by Hawke) who come up with a plan to rob their parents' jewelry store. Not surprisingly, things don't go as planned, "triggering off a series of events that send them, their father (Finney) and Hawke's wife (Tomei) hurtling towards a shattering climax."

There's no word from Cannes about when the production will begin, or where the film will be shot.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Lumet signs Funky film deal
Director moves forward on 'Getting Out'
Source: Variety

Sidney Lumet has inked a deal with Funky Buddha Group to finance his next two films, with an option for a third.

Shingle most recently collaborated with Lumet on the helmer's "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead," which ThinkFilm opened two weeks ago.

Under the deal, Lumet will move forward first on the prison breakout movie "Getting Out," based on his original script. Story centers on a man desperate to regain his freedom while entangled in deadly head games with his prison psychiatrist and the woman he desires.

Shooting is scheduled to begin in January.

Funky Buddha's Paul Parmar will produce alongside Michael Cerenzie.

Parmar and Cerenzie also worked together on ThinkFilm's "My Sexiest Year" and the upcoming Tony Kaye-helmed "Black Water Transit." Cerenzie recently launched a partnership with Christine Peters' CP Prods., which has a first-look deal at Paramount Pictures.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

Quote from: life_boy on January 08, 2005, 02:51:55 PM
Has no one here seen The Verdict?  Overshadowed, no doubt, by other films in the Lumet canon (Network, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico), it is still a stirring drama and interesting character study, featuring a tremendous performance by Paul Newman and a wonderful supporting performance by James Mason.  
Charlotte Rampling was pretty good in it, too.

I'm only just starting to realise how I much I love Sidney Lumets films. Last night I watched Running on Empty which I absolutely adored. I'm always a sucker for any half-decent film with a nostalgic element but I honestly thought this was excellent. I half expected to find it being derided like some kind of Big Chill in the film community but seems fairly well respected. Certainly a hidden gem to me. Judd Hirsch is great, River Phoenix got Oscar nominated (his only?) and Martha Plimpton - what happened to her?

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

gob

With you absolutely on this one. Obsessed with Lumet at the moment, easily one of the greatest. Running on Empty was glorious. Judd Hirsch is brilliant, River Phoenix and Martha Plimpton are both so natural and their relationship is handled in a really wonderful way.

After Running on Empty I went on the see The Offence and The Hill. Two movies that aren't talked about often but are both really great. The Hill in particular blew me away, perfect movie. Really flawless for me, I'm becoming obsessed with non-Bond Connery performances. He's so good.

Anyway, thoroughly Lumet is the tits and someone I aspire to greatly.

Redlum

Excellent. The Hill is one of those movies that I often catch half-way through on TV and one that I must sit down at watch properly. I've added The Offence to my queue (which Lumet is quickly dominating). At the moment I've got Fail-Safe to see - a production which Kubrick aparently sued over similarities to Strangelove (did this start the big K/Lumet comparisons in this thread?).

Back to my Big Chill fear: there should be a movie list of people singing along to old songs in kitchens (preferably whilst doing the dishes). I'm sure Running on Empty would take the top spot, though.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas