To Newbs, introduce yourself.

Started by Xixax, January 08, 2003, 01:13:48 PM

Robyn

Look how nice you guys are nowdays! Pretty far away from the welcome I got:

Quote from: Pubrick on April 19, 2010, 09:35:37 PM
Quote from: Stefen on April 19, 2010, 09:12:47 PM
Don't forget Donald Dorko!

haha yeah but then i would've had to include the whole list. that film falls into the category of Amelie, Battle Royale and Oldboy in that it's a fanboy favourite that could IN THEORY still be included in a list for sentimental value. a better way to group dude's list is that it's filled with either gratuitous violence (a teen trademark and an extension of his Tarantino obsession) and romantic idealist films -- the last relics of puberty's hormone overload.

the few redeeming titles are exactly what would hav brought karljan to this site. it's a good sign that he senses value in PTA, Mully D, and (forgetting Eternal Sunshine for a sec) Zodiac.. altho it's tempting to break those downs into predictable behaviour. zodiac and CMBB could be seen as an extension of his lust for blood-smeared-in-a-slick-fashion, PDL as the "quirky romantic", leaving Mully D as the exception which would seem legitimate were it not for the support it has in Donnie Darko and Adaptation -- the combination of these movies (along with Eternal Sunshine) screams out an interest in unconventional narratives, and that's great, unless oldmate calls them all "trippy".

it's actually a great list in terms of reflecting his personality. i'm not trying to flame the poor newb. it just strikes me as one of the most perfect teenage-boy lists i've come across since i was one myself (almost ten years ago).

I remember it like yesterday. I was almost in tears. :(

Oh, and welcome, O. You seems pretty cool! :)

O.

Quote from: KJ on September 12, 2011, 12:26:51 PM
Look how nice you guys are nowdays! Pretty far away from the welcome I got:

Quote from: Pubrick on April 19, 2010, 09:35:37 PM
Quote from: Stefen on April 19, 2010, 09:12:47 PM
Don't forget Donald Dorko!

haha yeah but then i would've had to include the whole list. that film falls into the category of Amelie, Battle Royale and Oldboy in that it's a fanboy favourite that could IN THEORY still be included in a list for sentimental value. a better way to group dude's list is that it's filled with either gratuitous violence (a teen trademark and an extension of his Tarantino obsession) and romantic idealist films -- the last relics of puberty's hormone overload.

the few redeeming titles are exactly what would hav brought karljan to this site. it's a good sign that he senses value in PTA, Mully D, and (forgetting Eternal Sunshine for a sec) Zodiac.. altho it's tempting to break those downs into predictable behaviour. zodiac and CMBB could be seen as an extension of his lust for blood-smeared-in-a-slick-fashion, PDL as the "quirky romantic", leaving Mully D as the exception which would seem legitimate were it not for the support it has in Donnie Darko and Adaptation -- the combination of these movies (along with Eternal Sunshine) screams out an interest in unconventional narratives, and that's great, unless oldmate calls them all "trippy".

it's actually a great list in terms of reflecting his personality. i'm not trying to flame the poor newb. it just strikes me as one of the most perfect teenage-boy lists i've come across since i was one myself (almost ten years ago).

I remember it like yesterday. I was almost in tears. :(

Oh, and welcome, O. You seems pretty cool! :)

that got you down? looking back at my forum history when i was younger, that would have been the nicest things ever to be considered a flame or burn. literally, there were whole threads started with the sole purpose of belitting every aspect of my personality. changed my life, no doubt! not sure if for better or for worse... needless to say, i don't check back on those forums as often as i used to.  :yabbse-angry:

thanks for welcome! i am indeed cool. 8)
superb

BB

Hello everyone. Thanks for the warm welcome. Not sure how often I'll actually be contributing, but I'll introduce myself regardless.

I'm male. Canadian. 24 years old. I've been periodically visiting the site for a little over a year now. I initially stumbled upon XIXAX looking for links to the Untitled Scientology script when that was first circulating. I believe there were already 20-or-30-some pages of discussion about it which intrigued me sufficiently to keep me coming back. I'm not much of a message board kinda guy, but this community seems to have better information and insights than the trades. Not to flatter y'all, just sayin'.

Reel

Welcome! This is a really great board, I don't like message boards either, but this is the only one I come to. What I like about it is that it's semi close knit and you get to know people's personalities and tastes and whatnot. Oh and every once in awhile we get some baller status Master news (when people are right about it)

Ordet

welcome, i've been mesmerized by  your avatar... hypnotic sir, quite hypnotic... another kubrick haunted-pta shaken soul. indeed welcome... 
were spinning

O.

superb

chere mill

hello, xixax members. it's nice to see a board that appreciates the work of kubrick, malick, pta, and other auteurs. over time i have stopped by this board for pta related news, particularly this new master project. i hope to post something occasionally from my avid film watching.

polkablues

Quote from: chere mill on November 30, 2011, 04:29:19 PM
hello, xixax members. it's nice to see a board that appreciates the work of kubrick, malick, pta, and other auteurs. over time i have stopped by this board for pta related news, particularly this new master project. i hope to post something occasionally from my avid film watching.

Welcome! You're starting out on a good foot from username alone.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Sleepless

Quote from: polkablues on November 30, 2011, 05:35:00 PM

Welcome! You're starting out on a good foot from username alone.

Absolutely. Welcome on board. I like your avatar too.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reinhold

welcome CM! i surely do hope you make it through the hazing period.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Jeremy Blackman

Hazing is over. He did not survive.

Neil

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 01, 2011, 06:43:10 PM

Just so we're clear; we're talking about Hendrix right?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

mogwai

Quote from: Neil on December 02, 2011, 01:09:43 AM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 01, 2011, 06:43:10 PM

Just so we're clear; we're talking about Hendrix right?

Do you know what hazing means? I didn't so I looked it up. :yabbse-wink:

O.

superb