M. Night Shyamalan

Started by Xeditor, January 19, 2003, 10:35:37 PM

Mesh

Whenever I see his name in type, I invariably think to myself: "Midnight Sham-a-lam-a-ding-dong."  Everytime.

For serious.

MacGuffin

Shyamalan & Fox 2000 Making a Piece of Pi
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

M. Night Shyamalan is in talks with Fox 2000 about adapting, directing and producing Life of Pi, a project based on the best-selling novel by Yann Martel.

The novel, which won the Man Booker Prize for 2002, is a magical adventure story centering on Pi Patel, the precocious son of a zookeeper. Residents of Pondicherry, India (Shyamalan's home town) the family decides to move to Canada, hitching a ride on a freighter. After a shipwreck, Pi is found adrift in the Pacific on a 26-foot lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orangutan and a Bengal tiger.

The project is Shyamalan's first for another studio following four back-to-back films for Disney. He is set to next film The Village for the studio starting October 14.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

Oh barf, I just read this news before coming here.  I'm so *thrilled* he's moving back into Stuart Little territory.

Find Your Magali

Sounds like a combination of "Lifeboat" and "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey."

Anyone read the book?

MacGuffin

In case anyone is interested, on Sunday the 18th from 8pm - 11pm, the Sci-Fi channel will air a documentary called, "The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan" with the tag line: If you think his films are cloaked in secrecy, wait until you see his past.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

Is that the one that started out as a doc stricktly on The Village, but quickly started delving deeper as the crew discovered what an ass Shyamalan was?

MacGuffin

Quote from: WithnailIs that the one that started out as a doc stricktly on The Village, but quickly started delving deeper as the crew discovered what an ass Shyamalan was?

Yep.

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: MacGuffinIn case anyone is interested, on Sunday the 18th from 8pm - 11pm, the Sci-Fi channel will air a documentary called, "The Buried Secret of M. Night Shyamalan" with the tag line: If you think his films are cloaked in secrecy, wait until you see his past.

This ain't starting out too good. Apparently, M. Night, or just "Night," is a rabid dog or some feral beast that you can't make eye contact unless you have the go ahead. I believe you're actually supposed to bow, and if he bows back then it's okay for you to approach him.... :roll:

I don't really think there was any reason to worry about people thinking it was real. It's kind of obvious, like that one doc that Sci-Fi had on about the Blair Witch thing.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ranemaka13I don't really think there was any reason to worry about people thinking it was real. It's kind of obvious, like that one doc that Sci-Fi had on about the Blair Witch thing.

Very obvious. I couldn't even finish it; once I saw Johnny Depp in on the 'joke', I changed it. It didn't need to be 3 hours. I guess they were trying to make "Night" mysterious, but they really made him come off as an arrogant, pompous asshole with a huge diva complex.

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

i started watching around the middle.
when he went out on the town he would get stopped by people all the time and the women would always say, "he's so fine."
it looks likes he's trying to be Hitchcock so bad, but he needs to study a little bit more.

what i mean by Hitchcock is............obviously his movies are very Hitch-y, but i also mean the way H promoted his films
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ravi

I started watching about 90 minutes into it and watched it for a half-hour.  I don't know if I would have figured out it was fake before reading the article that said it was, but it looked very fake as I watched.  That one friend of his and that weird drowning story, trying to get into Night's medical records, etc., all were too over-the-top.  I couldn't watch 3 hours of this thing.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: RaviI couldn't watch 3 hours of this thing.
Well, I did. Most of it anyway.
Do I get a prize?!  :-D
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: bigideasit looks likes he's trying to be Hitchcock so bad, but he needs to study a little bit more.

what i mean by Hitchcock is............obviously his movies are very Hitch-y, but i also mean the way H promoted his films

He'll never be Hitch.  Spielberg, yeah, Hitch, no.  He's strong with the visual stuff and he can set up a scare pretty well but the knack for storytelling isn't quite there.

And as for Night promoting his films... he wishes he could make as classic an ad for one of his films as Hitch's trailer for Psycho.  That Sci Fi moc was not even close, from what I saw of it.

MacGuffin

Shyamalan takes 'Lady' to Warners
Source: Hollywood Reporter

M. Night Shyamalan will write and direct his next film, the fantasy thriller "Lady in the Water," for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Blinding Edge Pictures will produce, with Sam Mercer and Shyamalan serving as producers.

"Water" centers on the superintendent of an apartment building who finds a rare type of sea nymph swimming in the apartment pool.

Shyamalan has written and directed a series of blockbusters -- "The Sixth Sense," 'Unbreakable" and "Signs" -- for the Walt Disney Co. He had a two-picture, first-look deal with the studio, and his most recent feature, "The Village," was made under that deal. Disney and Shyamalan discussed "Lady," but the two decided mutually to part ways on the project.

"We have a terrific relationship with Night, and although we didn't agree creatively on this particular project, we look forward to working with him in the future," a company rep said.

Warners also would like to see the filmmaker remain in its fold in the future.

"I hope that it is the first of many outstanding films that Night makes at our studio," Warner Bros. president Alan Horn said in a statement.

Said Shyamalan: "Since we met a few years ago, Alan and Jeff (Robinov, Warners' president of production) have gone out of their way to offer me the best on their studio slates time after time. I felt their personal connection to my movies. 'Lady in the Water' is a personal movie with a big idea, and it seems just perfect for Warner Bros. I'm thrilled they responded to the story, and we all can't wait to get started."

The film will be shot in Philadelphia, where Shyamalan has made all of his movies. Casting is under way, and production is set to begin in August for a July 21, 2006, release.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

Wow, this really must suck (or be totally nuts) if Disney's given up on Night.