Magnolia discussion

Started by SailorOfTheSeas, May 08, 2014, 03:42:40 PM

Jeremy Blackman

The hosts of my favorite Game of Thrones podcast recently reviewed Magnolia:

http://baldmove.com/bald-movies/magnolia-1999-commissioned-podcast/

(You can also search for the podcast "Bald Movies.")

It's an hour and a half reaction to the movie from a fairly personal POV. I found it interesting to hear what a couple civilians thought of Magnolia, seeing it for the first time 16+ years later.

Jeremy Blackman

The host of the podcast Read It And Weep makes a sly reference to Magnolia at 5:28 in Episode 295 - Criminal Minds. He directly quotes a character from the movie, completely in context. I don't think the guests realized it was a Magnolia quote. But it definitely is, because he's talked about Magnolia several times in subsequent episodes.

Alexandro

is this the place to post about a pretty nice aimee mann/magnolia tribute in the fucking lego batman movie? made me chuckle. actually the whole movie is pretty funny. check it out.

RegularKarate

I saw that movie and must have missed the Magnolia tribute while trying to keep up with all the subtle (and not so subtle) Batman in-jokes.
Where was the reference?

Alexandro

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 01, 2017, 09:13:19 AM
I saw that movie and must have missed the Magnolia tribute while trying to keep up with all the subtle (and not so subtle) Batman in-jokes.
Where was the reference?

really? there's a whole sequence of batman dead set on working alone with a cover of "one" playing all through it, showing how lonely he and the other characters feel.

RegularKarate

I guess I didn't see that as a Magnolia reference since they're playing the original Harry Nilsson version and "one is the loneliest number" just matches the moment. Now, if they had been playing "Wise up"...

Alexandro

that film is so crammed with all sorts of crazy references I wouldn't think it was a stretch.

Shughes

This is a great article:

https://cinephiliabeyond.org/magnolia-paul-thomas-andersons-absorbing-mosaic-compassion-humanity-importance-forgiveness/

Probably not news to anyone here, but nice to have the screenplay, those interviews, and some great production stills all in one place.

Sleepless

Has anyone heard of or seen this movie? It's currently on Mubi, they say: A murder mystery that doubles as a drama about the interconnected lives of strangers, this Australian import—which won numerous awards in its homeland—was a critical success, earning comparisons to Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia. The trailer is definitely trying to make the most of that comparison:

Btw, if you want to check it out, use this link to get a free month on Mubi (I'll get a free month too).
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilder

I saw it upon its DVD release for the very reason that it was lumped together with Magnolia on many film lists at the time. Sorry to say I remember almost nothing about it other than it wasn't for me, but I seem to have trouble connecting to Australian films on the whole. It's like they're operating on an entirely different wavelength. There's also the possibility that I was just too young.

Sleepless

I haven't watched it yet, but I will. The trailer doesn't look great. Haven't watched a ton of Australian cinema, but I still love .
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilder

Ah, The Dish. I always heard good things. Let us know what you think of Lantana. I was just looking up Ray Lawrence's other movies - he also made Jindabyne (2006) starring Laura Linney and Gabriel Byrne, based on that same Raymond Carver short story Short Cuts was partially adapted from with the three fishermen discovering the dead girl's body in the creek (I never got around to seeing it). And his first movie Bliss (1985) certainly looks worth watching. The guy's made only three films in just over 30 years of his career. I always wonder what directors who have sporadic projects like that do with the rest of their lives...

After a near-death experience, a man wonders if he actually did die and is now in Hell.

Sleepless

Quote from: wilder on October 25, 2017, 02:24:44 PM
Let us know what you think of Lantana.

My thoughts.

Also, I just found out it has it's own thread. Best bits from there:

Quote from: ono on July 14, 2003, 12:13:11 AM
There are so many great moments in this film, one of which I really remember: Leon (LaPaglia) is running and he slams into another guy and explodes, yelling at him.  Both their faces are bloodied, the other man's nose possibly broken.  Leon sees the man has dropped a bag, and feeling bad, he runs after him and gets it and tries to smooth things over.  And the man (full grown, strong, goatee and everything) just breaks down and starts crying in Leon's arms.  And I haven't seen anything like that since Brando in Last Tango in Paris.  My jaw dropped open, it was so real, so powerful.  Later on, Leon meets John, the man whose wife he's having an affair with, unbeknownst to him.  They share drinks, and discuss the incident in the bathroom, wondering what it would take for someone to cry like that.  It gets even better when the scene was paralleled later on in the movie when Leon cries upon hearing a tape where his wife professes she still loves him (long story; see the film to understand it).

Quote from: filmcritic on July 14, 2003, 12:20:10 AM
it really wasn't about a murder case. It's about love and marriage. Two Thumbs Way Up for me for "Lantana".

Quote from: chainsmoking insomniac on July 14, 2003, 07:39:31 AM
I was just fucking blown away.

Quote from: brockly on August 11, 2003, 02:03:25 AM
Brilliant, absolutely BRILLIANT! It's an unrecognised gem that nobody should miss.Why?!?

It's still on Mubi for another week. If anyone wants a free month trial and thus give me a free month in return.

wilberfan

I watched Lantana last week because of the mention in this thread.  I ultimately found it a little too one-noted.  It didn't really end-up anywhere (if that makes any sense).  I can see the comparison to Magnolia, but no where near as compelling for me.  I do agree about the jogging collision scene, though.