Inception

Started by modage, August 24, 2009, 10:21:41 AM

Stefen

It was never meant to be a dream and Nolan probably thinks you're all giant dorks for thinking that it was and also wishes that you were never born.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on October 01, 2010, 12:03:25 AM
Quote from: Pas on September 30, 2010, 05:56:44 PM

To me it is an absolutely certain that the end means one of two things:
1: It's a dream.
2: We can choose what we want.

This could be said about any movie ever.

It would be idiotic to say it about every movie ever.

This particular film asks us to consider the question of whether it's a dream as it is central to its themes.

Raging Bull does not.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Quote from: Pas on September 30, 2010, 05:56:44 PM

To me it is an absolutely certain that the end means one of two things:
1: It's a dream.
2: We can choose what we want.

This could be said about any movie ever.

Haha most pathetic attempt at using a brain being a troll ever.

too bad Gandhi's ending wasn't a dream, that was a nice guy

Gamblour.

I like to imagine Walrus posts from an alternative universe where people don't have the concept of fiction, so at the end of every film, the main character wakes up and says, "Phew! it was all a dream." Credits.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I wasn't trolling I was making a joke that Gamblour vaguely alluded to (though it's not some sort of alternate dimension, it was just a jocular statement.)

If you choose what you want, then you can choose it was a dream or not.  If it's strictly a dream, then why would it be up for interpretation?  But even then, the intended humor was in that every movie is in and of itself a dream state that your brain is left to make sense of.

I'm glad that Gandhi and Raging Bull were cross referenced to prove how thoroughly you guys can only read your own jokes on Xixax and take everything else too literally.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pozer

this thread still rambling on is a dream.......the bumpin threads of The Master & Tree of Life is real life.

Pas

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on October 01, 2010, 12:36:00 PM
I wasn't trolling I was making a joke

You're always/often making these one-liner jabs and this one felt particularly weak, the counter was too tempting. So, my apologies if it was meant as a joke. I fail to understand it, but whatever.

Pozer

Quote from: Pas on October 01, 2010, 01:30:34 PM

You're always/often making these one-liner jabs and this one felt particularly weak...

This could be said about any movie ever Pozer.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pas on October 01, 2010, 01:30:34 PM

You're always/often making these one-liner jabs and this one felt particularly weak, the counter was too tempting. So, my apologies if it was meant as a joke. I fail to understand it, but whatever.

Dude, I like you.  I wasn't trying to antagonize you.  If you fail to understand it, you're overthinking it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Awesome alternate unseen Inception poster REVEALED
Source: SyFy

Turns out the posters we saw in theaters and online for Christopher Nolan's Inception might not have been the best of them. Because an awesome unused poster just popped up that might convey the film's dizzying dreamworld better than any we've seen yet.

Check it out below and let us know if you agree.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

that is the best poster, i bet they used it in europe. NA and commenwealth countries suck in this department.
the one last hit that spent you...

MarxFischer

Quotemore than the lack of aging, they are wearing the same clothes, and to me when he entered that room and looked exactly like he remembered that meant he was still dreaming, even the day light was the same.

To me is crystal clear that the final scene is a dream, since he once said in the film that he needed to reconstruct that image of him seeing his kids, and by having seen their faces a huge weight will be lift off him and all that regret of not seeing them at moment will be gone, this imo will lead to a path of waking up.

I know that this topic is pretty old, and most things have (probably) been laid to rest concerning theories on Inception's ending, but this post by Fernando prompted me to share an article I came across awhile ago regarding the film.

Nolan's costume designer, Jeffrey Kurland, gave an interview this past July talking about various aspects in creating the film. The inevitable question of the ending came up, and Kurland was pretty definitive on certain aspects, such as the children's clothing.

QuoteCOF: How much does costume reflect the inner machinations of the plot, particularly in a film such as Inception? For example, Cobb's children are wearing the same clothes at the end of the story as they are in his dream 'memory' throughout the film. Is there something to be interpreted here?

JK: Costume design reflects greatly on the movement of the plot, most significantly through character development. Character development is at the forefront of costume design. The characters move the story along and with the director and the actor the costume designer helps to set the film's emotional tone in a visual way. In a more physical sense the costumes' style and color help to keep the story on track, keeping a check on time and place.

On to the second part of your question, the children's clothing is different in the final scene... look again...

MarxFischer

Forgot to add the link, and tried to edit my original post but to no avail; wouldn't Save.

http://clothesonfilm.com/inception-jeffrey-kurland-costume-qa/14317/

Stefen

Quote from: MarxFischer on January 22, 2011, 09:26:29 AM
Quotemore than the lack of aging, they are wearing the same clothes, and to me when he entered that room and looked exactly like he remembered that meant he was still dreaming, even the day light was the same.

To me is crystal clear that the final scene is a dream, since he once said in the film that he needed to reconstruct that image of him seeing his kids, and by having seen their faces a huge weight will be lift off him and all that regret of not seeing them at moment will be gone, this imo will lead to a path of waking up.

I know that this topic is pretty old, and most things have (probably) been laid to rest concerning theories on Inception's ending, but this post by Fernando prompted me to share an article I came across awhile ago regarding the film.

Nolan's costume designer, Jeffrey Kurland, gave an interview this past July talking about various aspects in creating the film. The inevitable question of the ending came up, and Kurland was pretty definitive on certain aspects, such as the children's clothing.

QuoteCOF: How much does costume reflect the inner machinations of the plot, particularly in a film such as Inception? For example, Cobb's children are wearing the same clothes at the end of the story as they are in his dream 'memory' throughout the film. Is there something to be interpreted here?

JK: Costume design reflects greatly on the movement of the plot, most significantly through character development. Character development is at the forefront of costume design. The characters move the story along and with the director and the actor the costume designer helps to set the film's emotional tone in a visual way. In a more physical sense the costumes' style and color help to keep the story on track, keeping a check on time and place.

On to the second part of your question, the children's clothing is different in the final scene... look again...

Thanks for that Marx. Has anyone with the dvd gone back to see how different the clothes are?

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.