Caché (Hidden)

Started by MacGuffin, December 12, 2005, 08:13:27 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer

International Trailer

Release Date: December 23, 2005

Cast: Juliette Binoche, Daniel Auteuil, Maurice Bénichou, Annie Girardot, Bernard Le Coq, Walid Afkir, Daniel Duval, Nathalie Richard, Denis Podalydès, Aïssa Maïga

Director: Michael Haneke

Premise: Georges, who hosts a TV literary review, receives packages containing videos of himself with his family -- shot secretly from the street -- and alarming drawings whose meaning is obscure. He has no idea who may be sending them. Gradually, the footage on the tapes becomes more personal, suggesting that the sender has known Georges for some time. Georges feels a sense of menace hanging over him and his family but, as no direct threat has been made, the police refuse to help.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

and for those who missed it in the other thread, this won best foreign film from the LA Film Critics

ono

bonanzataz

Quote from: onomabracadabra on December 13, 2005, 03:18:59 AM
See also: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116922/

shut up. the plotlines are slightly similar, but lynch and haneke share totally different sentimentalities. i have been waiting for this movie since it was announced. i would've seen it at the nyff, but, coincidentally, lynch was doing his transcendental meditation crap and i had to go to that instead.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

w/o horse

Spoilers.

The ending was fucking the most abrupt ending there has been ever, right?  It caught me completely off guard and I loved it for that.

It was an experience.  It was a French experience.  It was a Michael Haneke experience.  Tragic tense and dense moments.  Great acting and control.  The pace was bizarre and worked.  I don't think that it was ambituous enough to be categorized as great, but it is what it is.

I fucking loved the end.

B-.

Not the slightest bit like Lost Highway.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

bonanzataz

if you loved it so much, where does the b- come from?

this is a great progression for haneke. his movies seem to get better and better with every one he makes. they all send such strong messages to an audience without ever beating the audience over their heads with them or talking down to them. this movie is far subtler than his previous attempts and has been getting sold out shows in nyc the past few weeks. catch it if it comes near you. especially if you're white.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

w/o horse

Quote from: bonanzataz on January 16, 2006, 02:05:14 AM
if you loved it so much, where does the b- come from?

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on January 11, 2006, 11:15:23 PM
I don't think that it was ambitious enough to be categorized as great, but it is what it is.

Minus a random extra u in ambitious.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

bonanzataz

no, it's not blatantly ambitious, but the subjects that are tackled in this movie are done with such finesse and ease that the subtext isn't entirely apparent until after it's done with. for that, i think it's incredibly ambitious. it's hard to make a movie about race relations that never comes out and says "this is a movie about race relations." i never saw crash, but from some of the things i've heard mentioned on this board, that movie attempts to be ambitious in its storytelling. haneke's direction is amazing, b/c his technique takes a backseat to decent storytelling. it's not about creatively put together shots or cool use of music or writing/direction which seems to shout "this is the most amazing movie ever made and you should take note!" mirroring the premise of the movie, the audience isn't experiencing everything with intense, hyper-emotional melodrama as many movies would show it, they're watching it from a voyeuristic perspective. that's what makes it so unique and so good. far better than a b- in my opinion. i'm going to see this one again before it leaves theaters (which, from what i've heard from friends trying to go see it and finding out that the next two showings are sold out weeks after its release, won't be for a long time).

w/o horse

Finesse is such a fine word to use.  Your enthusiasm for the film makes me enthusiastic, but I disagree that it's incredibly ambitious.  It's treading much the same waters that Antonioni did, or even Tarkovsky, Bunuel,  Jarmusch, and definitely Greenaway and Egoyan.  I imagine the NYC crowd is having a good time unwrapping the film's layers: solving the case of the tape, the unfaithful wife, the intentions of the son (both), the amorality of the situation, etc.  That I fucking love too.  And the genre bending of course.

B- is pretty abritrary I guess.  Perhaps because I'm so desperate for films, especially contemporary, to take me places that I haven't been before it causes me to be harder on the more subtle and the more outrageous and I am missing out.  Cache was certainly a good film.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on January 17, 2006, 01:16:53 AMB- is pretty abritrary I guess. 

i know. i just want people to see this movie, b/c i don't think haneke gets enough credit.

Pubrick

moral of the story: enuff with grading movies like they're homework. you both ended up saying great things about the movie which made me way more interested to see it than the trailer, but the B- thing is just irrelevant for any serious review. if you need to summarize your thoughts about a movie in letter format or out of five, don't bother writing anything at all so i can just skip your review.

the rating invalidates the writing and the writing confuses the rating.
under the paving stones.

Astrostic

I saw this in Boston last night.  Really Great, I can't stop thinking about it.  It reminded me a lot of the 1988 version of The Vanishing with it's pacing and build up.  I haven't been as satisfied at the end of a movie as I was with this one in a long time.  Maybe it's just because I "saw" what was to be seen in the last shot and nobody else in the theatre did, but my heart was racing as the credits rolled.  Thumbs Up, i need to see other films by Haneke.

godardian

Quote from: bonanzataz on January 17, 2006, 01:44:24 AM
Quote from: Losing the Horse: on January 17, 2006, 01:16:53 AMB- is pretty abritrary I guess.

i know. i just want people to see this movie, b/c i don't think haneke gets enough credit.

I second that. It's a priority. What you said about being white, too (especially now, whether you're French or American or whatever). Our own privilege is "hidden" from us, and this movie is extremely observant on that front.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gamblour.

SPOILERS

If there's such a thing as too subtle, this film is it. Between the videotapes, the children, and whatever connection lies between, this movie spells out far less than it should. I can't believe everyone is so adamantly stamping this as a movie about race. Were the tapes some sort of red herring to get me thinking about racism? Because the movie places such a big priority on the tapes, the tapes, why would it want to be a thriller about tapes on the surface when it's really about race? That didn't work. And even as I saw it, as a film about the effects and consequences of a childhood event, facing it all of a sudden in the present, that didn't work either. As a thriller about tapes, it sure doesn't work. This movie isn't about anything, the ending is a cop out. I'm not going to read anything more into it because the pieces just aren't there. The infidelity of the wife is mentioned, but a kiss on the hand is supposed to get me chatting away about what was really going on? The kid going missing is interesting, but the dad sums it up as going through puberty, and if it's really about his mother, we get NOTHING to suggest any validity. If not seeing it is our way of being voyeurs, well that stinks, bad cinema. The only thing that completely amazed me was the uninterrupted suicide. Technically and cinematically, that was incredible.
WWPTAD?

Ghostboy

No, all the pieces are there....the ones you need, in any case. The tapes aren't a red herring, but they might be a bit of a subterfuge; they're a metaphor for perception than anything else (the mystery behind them ultimately doesn't matter all that much - they might as well be making themselves). The film isn't so much concerned with racism as it is (and this is true for the majority of Haneke's work, with the exception of 'The Piano Teacher') classism. Consider the recent events in Paris and apply them to this film, and it all might start to make more sense. Echoing the sentiments of Astrostic, it's one of the most satisfying films I've seen in a long time.