THE NOMINEES

The Aviator
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Kill Bill Vol. 2
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Sideways

Myxo

Terrible..

This movie has great production qualities, but it's not even close to Sideways, Million Dollar Baby or Aviator. I guess in the absence of PTA, this is the next best thing.

Gold Trumpet

I thought it was one of the best films of the year. That's just a statement though so who should give a shit. Not even an opinion...

ono

Haha, this was a film you didn't like at first, GT.

Put it this way.  Eternal Sunshine was the best film of the year in March.  But sadly, the year has nine months.  Seems like some people here pulled a reverse Academy thing and forgot that.

meatball

Xixax has lots of love to give.

Mostly to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

:yabbse-undecided:

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ono mo cuishleHaha, this was a film you didn't like at first, GT.

I know! Its weird how mind set sometimes can or can not clarify a film's purpose to you. I just didn't get involved the first time around but with a second viewing, a new head of thought on my shoulder, the film really hit me hard. My appreciation has lasted many viewings afterward and the only dissection I've been able to do is, "I fucking love this movie." I think that's objective enough for this one.

p.s. it does hold up aesthetically, too.

matt35mm

See, we nominate too early.  No one saw Million Dollar Baby and so it wasn't nominated.  And then not enough people saw it in time to make it a write-in vote.

But Eternal Sunshine is my personal choice for best movie of the year, so I'm good with this.

Kal

Quote from: matt35mmSee, we nominate too early.  No one saw Million Dollar Baby and so it wasn't nominated.  

I saw it in time and I agree it should be nominated... but I wouldnt vote for it as the BEST... I think overall The Aviator was a better film... and although I love Kauffman, Gondry, Carrey, Brion, etc... I dont think Eternal Sunshine is the best film of the year

I dunno... we didnt have a sure thing this year... so I guess its valid that any of these films can win... but I would put the Aviator and Sideways before Eternal Sunshine or MDB

Jeremy Blackman

If we can remember this movie, why can't we remember Dogville?

I know that Eternal Sunshine is a great movie, but for some reason I can't bring myself to love it. Maybe Kate Winslet's character still bothers me (though you can argue that her character is mostly created by Joel).

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIf we can remember this movie, why can't we remember Dogville?

I never thought the film was widely praised around here. Many people that could have loved it didn't. I'm not a Von Trier fan, but he hasn't had an across the board hit since Breaking the Waves. If Breaking the Waves was this year, it would have been a serious contender.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI never thought the film was widely praised around here.
Many European Xixaxers loved Dogville, but it opened over there a long long time ago.

xerxes

Quote from: ono mo cuishleBut sadly, the year has nine months.

call me crazy but i thought the year had 12 months

Redlum

Does anyone have any details of the write-ins?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIf we can remember this movie, why can't we remember Dogville?
because this was the best movie of the year, and dogville wasnt very good.  :yabbse-wink:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02because this was the best movie of the year, and dogville wasnt very good.
hahaha, no wink necessary.
under the paving stones.