Party Monster

Started by MacGuffin, July 18, 2003, 11:49:48 AM

NEON MERCURY

..from everything that i heard/read (other than the members here)...about the film...it even  makes spun look good

Cecil

Ghostboy

That's funny, the first thing I thought of after I saw it was 'well, it was good, but Spun was better.' And Spun wasn't even that good...I liked it, but only superficially.

I think the only thing that makes Party Monster passable is that it is a true story, which inherently adds some sort of facination (for me, at least). I'd rather have seen the documentary first. I went online today and read a bunch of stuff about Michael Alig, and he seems to still be, at 37, as superficial as Macaulay played him in the movie.

One note: I saw it digitally projected, and it looked good to great, visually. But I don't envy anyone who has to see the film transfer.

bonanzataz

i don't get it. didn't this movie come out two months ago?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ghostboy

Yeah, but Strand Releasing takes an unusually long time to roll their films out past NY and LA.

coffeebeetle

Quote from: mogwaiI want to be Chloƫ Sevigny's stalker.

I want to be her bike seat.

This movie sucked the big one.  I couldn't invest a single ounce of sympathy for any of these characters...I felt completely disengaged from this one.  I'm all for debauchary in movies (if it's used appropriately) but I just can't figure out why the fuck this movie was made in the first place.  Is this kid's life really worth telling?  Feel free to bite back folks... :?
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

godardian

I just saw this today... and really hated it. Ghostboy is right about the film transfer; it looks pretty bad. HOWEVER, at the top of my list of the many, many things wrong with it: Those horrible voices reading that horrible dialogue. Now, I know the club kids affected a giddy-queen tone in their speech, but Green and Culkin were affecting an affectation, and it was embarrassing how bad they were at it. It didn't help that the dialogue could've been wrapped and sold by the pound, it was so thick, heavy, and static- exactly the opposite of what it needed to be.

I can only think of one thing I liked about film at all: Chloe Sevigny. She was really the only actor in it, though; her talent and ease in front of the camera was an oasis in the midst of some really pretty terrible, stunted performances (Green does slightly better than Culkin; both roles could've been much better played by almost anyone with a little more intuition). It would've been fantastic to see the story told from her point of view; I think that way, it would've been much easier to understand the reckless, wrecked lifestyle these needy people adopted, the appeal of it. There really is a wonderful story and fascinating people somewhere in this mess, but it's as if the filmmakers just took the discarded bits and left out the really interesting parts.

I wasn't disappointed, though. It looked awful from the trailers, and it was no more awful than it looked.

I'd be interested to see the documentary, too. I'd also be interested to know why, since these same filmmakers already made the documentary, they didn't to a better job of mediating the events into a better dramatic film. Cinema verite alternating with splashy music-video was clearly and absolutely NOT the style for this subject, at least not in these hands.

A bad film. Disappointing to see Christine Vachon's name on it as a producer, too; from reading her book and seeing the many really good to great films she's produced, you'd think she would've slapped someone into shape the second the dailies started rolling in.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Kal

this film sucks... the acting is pathetic... macauly culkin used to be funny and cute when he was little but now he is a dork... i missed this on theatres and was looking forward for the dvd... but IT BLOWS!

artfag

I could take a shit in a bag and stare at it for days remaining more entertained the whole time than I was by this film.

modage

Quote from: Pictures are PalsI could take a shit in a bag and stare at it for days remaining more entertained the whole time than I was by this film.
can i nominate this for best first post?  who are the other nominees again?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.