Dusting off some old Xixax posts

Started by mogwai, November 13, 2010, 12:34:20 PM

Neil

New page fail.
(From now on, I will apologize in advance for poor writing)

It transformed into an Aristotelian conversation and I did not see that coming. The misrepresentation of the term "use."  Films are ends in and of themselves as Alexandro pointed out.  This goes without saying, but much like any art form you can take it as far as your lifestyle will allow.  Obviously, this forum shows that films (and art) exist outside of initial participation and most people on this board prove that this happens for good reason.  Some of those reasons being prerequisites for the contemplative life.  This probably goes without saying and i know cron agrees.  But, the important thing about it is that YOU get something out of it.  

Cron, it sounds to me like you let the human experience get to you, while people like Pas and others have a personal appreciation for things and douche bags are not able to exhaust that.

The day you concern yourself with the person who considers it a virtue to "see all of robert altman's films" is the day that you have missed the point.  not to sound arrogant, but why is this a concern of yours?  One thing I learned in this life is that every single thing has been taken to the extreme.  This includes any and every area of human interest.  there will always be the guy who thinks that seeing all the altman films means something or that the bacteria flagellum's irreducible complexity proves (or suggests) the existence of a divine creator.  There will always be the person who takes things to an unnecessary extreme simply because the mental capacity exists and allows such things. Pas brought up ancient Greece and i have a romantic side for them too.  Why is this relevant?  Because they had a this idea that as soon as you stop worrying about the things in your life that you have ZERO control over, you will be living a better existence.  My only point with that is, who in the fuck cares how far people take film as an idea.  What "use" do you get out of it?  If none, that's your fault not films.  Embrace whatever is left.

It is an act of hubris to say, "forget film, I'm going to find another way to change the world."  This fucking place is yours to create, the whole entire thing. THAT is YOUR will to power.  Some of us choose Hume's suggestion and participate in the fictions we author because there is no choice.

I struggled for a long time with film, and i still struggle today.  I struggled with this external idea that ultimately missed the whole point of art.  I thought, "man, what good could this do for anyone, it's just some narcissistic field blah blah blah." What I'm trying to get is the idea that film could do something positive for someone like it did for me when I was younger. I think it would do you some good to check out serious criticisms of why film is bad if you want legitimate ammo(The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction By Walter Benjamin, The Culture Industry by Adorno)   I thought that film can do no good for anyone, because it's just a projection of the self which dictates the viewers imagination.  But this could be the very charm.  Seriously, when you tap into something that isn't a personal projection let me know.  Film is VERY powerful under an Aristotelian model where literature is more comparable Plato.  Aristotle wanted to focus on the particulars.  Because the way we talk about the world shapes the way the world actually is, and if you want to find out what a virtue is you actually have to engage a person with the virtue.  Literature is totally in your mind, so it seems more abstract at time.  Digressing, i am aware that no one is  arguing otherwise and obviously you're allowed to "outgrow" things but not in such a dismissive way.

Quotewhat i find the most sad about people involved in film is that they think taste is a practical, beautiful thing that they somehow will find a use for, but that will never ever ever happen, because taste and conceptions of beauty and the cannon are ... i don't even think i need to finish that idea it's disgusting.

The one provocative idea you approached cron was left unfinished.  Why don't you tell us about taste in 2010.  Read what the Renaissance considered taste and why this idea is even present.  Is everything in the eye of the beholder?  Are some tastes better than others?  Is beauty subjective? What were you going to imply?  I'm just not sure.  Don't be so quick to dismiss things.

:drool:

To comment on stefens post; maybe I'm still bright eyed and bushy tailed but I just don't consider things the same way you do. You summed it up nicely though at the end.  This is not a full time job, i watch things that peak my interests and to keep and even keel I also watch things outside of my comfort zone.  The last thing I think about when watching movies is how much work it is....Growing up is all fine and dandy, whatever it may mean to you, but the important thing here is participating in something invigorating that ADDS or subtracts perspective.  

I don't know. So many thoughts.  Too much bad writing.  Hopefully this doesn't kill/derail the thread.  it wasn't sarcastic or indicative of world of warcraft either.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Gold Trumpet

Yea, Stefen and I have talked about this. I'm sure as life moves on for everyone, we all change with how we watch and appreciate movies. I don't watch as many movies as I used to. As you get older, I think we all find ways to stay out of the mainstream of how people watch movies, meaning: they go to movies, watch them, maybe comment to a few friends, and move on. My main resource to combat the laziest is by blogging. I think we all have our own ways of keeping ourselves out of the mainstream. Visiting and following Xixax closely does it, certainly. You feel compelled to think a little more and maybe comment yourself.

Pas

Neil, that was a sweet ass post. I loved it.

Stefen, nostalgic yet not sad. Noble stuff. Xixax is a creed and you have always been a true believer ha!

For those who doubt the use of film, I will leave you with this little play:

Music for the play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOKxaVpTR-g&feature=related

The year is 2112. We are in a world ruled by the Priests of Syrinx, technocrats who worship technology and work. Art is forbidden, or at least, state-controlled. Meet three boys who live in this time, and decide one day to go on a hike in a cavern...

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out it's pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently like rain

I can't wait to share this new wonder
The people will all see it's light
Let them all make their own music
The Priests praise my name on this night

After having discovered this device, the boys decide to present it to the Priests, certain they will be congratulated!

I know it's most unusual
To come before you so
But I've found an ancient miracle
I thought that you should know
Listen to my music
And hear what it can do
There's something here as strong as life
I know that it will reach you

But the Priests have a surprising answer

Yes, we know, it's nothing new
It's just a waste of time
We have no need for ancient ways
The world is doing fine
Another toy that helped destroy
The elder race of Man
Forget about your silly whim
It doesn't fit the plan

The boys are in shock!

I can't believe you're saying
These things just can't be true
Our world could use this beauty
Just think what we might do
Listen to my music
And hear what it can do
There's something here as strong as life
I know that it will reach you

But the haters of art want nothing of it...

Don't annoy us further!
We have our work to do
Just think about the average
What use have they for you?
Another toy that helped destroy
The elder race of Man
Forget about your silly whim
It doesn't fit the Plan!

Neil

I love it when they finally discover the guitar!  I'm glad he knew how to tune it!
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche