tips for Oink ratio (and now Spotify)

Started by cron, July 05, 2007, 11:27:21 PM

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sigur Rós

Sigur Rós

last days of gerry the elephant

Well if you can find stuff from them thooor, try looking up "The Real Tuesday Weld" (as a recommendation).

Stefen

Heads up - Free leech at Waffles.fm for at least the next 24 hours. I know I've given some of you guys invites.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Quote from: Stefen on October 30, 2008, 03:42:33 PM
Heads up - Free leech at Waffles.fm for at least the next 24 hours. I know I've given some of you guys invites.

aw crud. :(
context, context, context.

Quote from: Stefen on October 30, 2008, 03:42:33 PM

Not I Stefen, Not I...

Today I was actually productive and managed to get a membership to Waffles and What.cd

I've begun to upload and hopefully soon enough, I will get some invites to pass on to Xixax.

(I did all this sans-Stefen's help)

Stefen

I've been a member to both for over a year and I still haven't made power user. The only invites I had I got when the site first opened to bring in new members. Those are the only ones I gave out.

I got banned... haha that was short lived. I think the guy who invited me was a sketch fest. I had uploaded a lot of rare albums I've imported from Japan as well... bastards.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: omuy on November 06, 2008, 12:16:57 AM
I got banned... haha that was short lived. I think the guy who invited me was a sketch fest. I had uploaded a lot of rare albums I've imported from Japan as well... bastards.

Why would you need it anyway? Google is the only thing you need :)

MacGuffin

RIAA to halt lawsuits, cozy up to ISPs instead

At last, the music industry admits what we've known for years: That filing music-swapping lawsuits against teenagers, little old ladies, and corpses is a fool's errand (not to mention an expensive headache for the defendants). But don't worry—the RIAA has something new up its sleeves.

The new strategy (as reported by the Wall Street Journal): If the music industry finds out that you're swapping music files online, it'll send an e-mail to your ISP (agreements have already hashed out agreements with "some" unnamed service providers, apparently), which will in turn forward the message to you—probably with a little "P.S." asking you to stop. [Update: CNET has a copy of the RIAA's form letter to ISPs.]

If you don't stop, well ... your service provider probably won't sue you, but it might slow down your broadband connection, or cut off your service altogether.

So, why has the RIAA changed the play? Well, maybe it's been looking at reports like this one from the NPD Group, which shows that U.S. CD sales continue to slide, while the number of tunes shared via P2P sites continues to increase, despite all the litigation.

And then there's the disastrous headlines, as the RIAA relentlessly tracked down and sued tens of thousands of alleged music pirates. Among them: Kids, octogenarians, and a few dead people.

Reaction to the news? Mixed. Engadget's headline reads (in part): "RIAA finds its soul," with the story noting that while the RIAA reserves the right to go after "heavy uploaders or repeat offenders ... it appears that single mothers are in the clear."

All Things Digital has a darker outlook, speculating that ISPs—which "care about the cost of moving lots of data around ... [and] want to make money by selling, renting, or just offering up Hollywood's movies and TV shows to subscribers"—might be more than content to "cut off file-sharers ... [or] simply [charge] heavy file-sharers a lot of money."

And here's another possibility, courtesy of yours truly: Say your ISP catches you sharing tunes via P2P. No problem—download away! But when you get your next cable bill, you'll find the itemized songs added to your monthly charge, kind of like an iTunes bill.

Call it the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" strategy.

P.S. Make no mistake—just because the RIAA has stopped filing new music-swapping lawsuits doesn't mean that it's dropped the existing ones, according to the Journal. Quite the contrary.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Yes, sir.  Everyone is safe. If you don't start no shit, won't be no shit.

Freeleach at Indie Torrents.

Stefen

I've got a what.cd invite up for grabs. I gotta know you, though.