tips for Oink ratio (and now Spotify)

Started by cron, July 05, 2007, 11:27:21 PM

is there a super effective way to increase your ratio?

i got strawberry jam in the morning, which by the way is amazing,  and i've left tomato, the torrent client i use, open all day long  and i've uploaded only 8 fucking megabytes. it's ridiculous.
context, context, context.

Stefen

You have to get there early. I got mine the second it was put up (i was notified cause I had it in my requests) and I've only uploaded 210mb. Sometimes you gotta be careful though, cause you might get the notice your request is filled and you go to download the file and you're one of the first and you're stoked, then they end up nuking the file cause it's at 128 instead of 192, etc and you ended up just wasting a ton of ratio for nothing.

What I did before I had to reinstall Windows is I kept a special folder titled oink and I downloaed everything from oink to that folder and when it was done I copied it to my music folder, then itunes, but kept the original seeding 24/7. That works great.

If you're under 5gigs you don't have anything to worry about so just dl and seed, seed, seed.

Also, don't use tomator, use Azureus, they might ban you if you use a client that isn't approved.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

yeah, i'm under 5gb but i'm very close . thanks for the tips

is 'for reverend green' the best animal collective song ? my vote is yes.

JG

for reverend green and fireworks are the best back-to-back songs ever.  they collectively form the centerpiece of what is easily the album of the year, perhaps more.  and derek is a very nice closing to end the album too.  panda really shines here. 

anyways, my ratio is at an all time low - about .45 - cos i haven't seeded in months (for an extremely terrible reason).   crono, if you see that there is an album up there that isn't in FLAC and you own that album, then upload it in FLAC, and thats a sure way to improve your ratio.   

picolas

yeah the best thing you can possibly do to get a good ratio is up your own stuff in FLAC and 320kbps. and make sure you're "clever." there are a bunch of faqs in the forums about how to do this and every comp seems different.

Stefen

oink has officially been shut down.

The servers of OiNK.cd - one of the most popular private BitTorrent trackers - are raided and the admin, a 24-year-old man from Middlesbrough, is arrested.

OiNK.cd Servers Raided, Admin ArrestedThe British and the Dutch police both contributed to the investigation that was initiated by the IFPI and the BPI, two well known anti-piracy organizations. The operation was supported by Interpol who coordinated the international cooperation.

According to early reports OiNk's servers were confiscated in Amsterdam last week. This seems to be unlikely because the site was still fully functional 24 hours ago. The administrator of OiNK was arrested this morning by the Cleveland Police. The BBC reports that his employer and the home of his father were raided as well.

Jeremy Banks, Head of the IFPI's Internet Anti-Piracy Unit, said in a reponse to the news: "OiNK was central to the illegal distribution of pre-release music online. This was not a case of friends sharing music for pleasure. This was a worldwide network that got hold of music they did not own the rights to and posted it online."

OiNK hosted hundreds and thousands of torrents with over a million peers which makes it more popular than most public trackers. The site was known to be one of the first places where leaked music albums appeared, so anti-piracy outfits such as MediaDefender were keeping a close eye on it.

In July the tracker already changed its name from OiNK.me.uk to OiNK.cd due to "legal" issues with their domain registrar. Unfortunately it now seems that the popular private BitTorrent tracker is in bigger trouble.

developing story...
--------------------------

This sucks. First tv links and now oink. The worst is I think oink was doing more good than bad. It's not like it was the first place people would go to get the new Kanye West album. It was the site that people who wanted awkward Sonic Youth remixed were a part of. Very strange that they would shut this down when there are so many other places out there.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

hedwig

grand theft sparrow

Yeah, two of my friends are freaking out right now.  My one friend tried to convince us that they can't catch you on oink.  The other one listened to him.  So glad I didn't.

This is like that scene at the end of Goodfellas where Lorraine Bracco is flushing the coke down the toilet before the DEA can raid the house.

Stefen

Quote from: IN SPAR_ROWS on October 23, 2007, 09:50:51 AM
Yeah, two of my friends are freaking out right now.  My one friend tried to convince us that they can't catch you on oink.  The other one listened to him.  So glad I didn't.

This is like that scene at the end of Goodfellas where Lorraine Bracco is flushing the coke down the toilet before the DEA can raid the house.

haha. Except it's a bunch of music nerds flushing their music down the recycle bin, when the stuff they had was so obscure the RIAA or any other organization probably doesn't even give a shit about it. Most of the stuff probably wasn't even copyrighted.

I really don't think we should be worried. It's just a bummer that it's taken down when there are so many other sites that should have been taken down.

picolas

:yabbse-cry: grateful for every day i knew it. but there was so much more to come..

..where do we go now?

if the RIAA decides  to presses criminal charges against all of us, shit's gonna heavier than the holocaust.

Stefen

Shit! They can't stop ME!

I'm downloading shit in broad daylight! I don't give a FUCK!

hedwig

if anything, i think they'll go for people who uploaded a lot of shit and got really high ratios.. and leaked new albums. now i'm glad i didn't upload much and most of what i did upload was old dean martin and frank sinatra albums.  :yabbse-undecided:

picolas

i worry because i DONATED. i would guess it's pretty easy to get those people. but they may not do anything:

(from torrentfreak)

OiNK Admin Released From Custody
Written by Ernesto on October 23, 2007
After a turbulent day the admin of the raided OiNK.cd was released from custody. At this point it is still unclear what the legal consequences will be, but it is good to see that OiNK is back home.

The OiNK admin contacted TorrentFreak by email which confirms his release. As for the OiNK users, it is highly doubtful that the IFPI or BPI will go after them all, or even one of them. They do know how to scare people with messages like: "A criminal investigation continues into the identities and activities of the site's users", but there is no evidence that they actually will.

More interesting perhaps, how did they gain access to the OiNK domain, and why are they allowed to spread this propaganda? They are not a law-enforcement agency.

NFOrce, the ISP of OiNK, said today in an interview that they were not aware of any illegal activities surrounding the site. They thought OiNK was hosting a streaming video site or a weblog. Yeah, right.

The BBC did a small report on the arrest with a lot of false information, releasing nonsense statements such as: "illegally downloading music onto his website" and "paying subscriptions to enter the website." The video of the arrest is shown below, see for yourself.

()

Stefen

Nothing will happen to the users. It's just a bummer that it was taken down.