Under the Tuscan Sun

Started by aclockworkjj, October 02, 2003, 09:55:36 AM

aclockworkjj

Ok, yes, I know...I saw this last night.  Yes, I got set-up, suckered-in, and push around by sum girl.  But really, I didn't mind this one bit. Diane Lane is really developing into a great actress (I still can't believe she got shafted @ the XIXAX awards....  :roll:)  My suggestion, cause yes, this is a chickflick, but really even thou cheesy at times, it's not that bad.  The majority of it takes place in Italy, and some of the scernery is just amazing.  *at one point I got reminded of Mr. BK and his plastic pants story*  Maybe it's just the dumb american in me, but I have never been to europe, so seeing someplace like italy just kinda gets me giddy.  The landscape shots reminded me a lot of Talented Ripley.  But maybe it's just impossible for Italy not to be amazinly beautiful?  It's written and directed by Audrey Wells (Truth about Cats and Dogs), but is much more of drama than her other stuff.  There are; however, lots of humorsum pauses.  

And, for you Fellini fans...you can tell this movie is sorta an underlyin' ode to him.  Complete with tons of references, as well, as scenes replayed or resurrected, but in an pretty orignal way.  

Again, I may get a ton of shit for this, but I liked it...and it's a good movie to get dragged to.  It's sorta along the lines of Chocolat, it's a chickflick, but a pretty decent one.  

Here's the trailer.

As well as some clips.

aclockworkjj

well, I suck...the one fuckin' movie I actually see in the last 2 months, and I can't even talk about it.

piff...

TheVoiceOfNick

I thought this movie was excellent... I think one of my favorite movies of the year... not necessarily because it was GREAT cinema, but because I was drawn into the story, and I felt like I was in this wonderful place... it was almost like a big long Jurassic Park The Ride, in that I was completely immersed in the atmosphere... and the fact that I have Italian decent makes me like it even more... it made me want to buy a ticket to go to Tuscany!

Finn

I liked it a lot as well. Diane Lane is really becoming a wonderful actress ever since her movie from last year. I loved the cinematography and atmosphere of the culture most of all. It's a fun and light-weight piece of entertainment.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

aclockworkjj

Wholly crap...you mean someone else actually saw this?  and in fact like it?

the pregnant lady, kinda got on my nerves tho.

taintedlove

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by this one...saw it at the local discount theatre...only because the movie I really wanted to see had started already.

Although this movie was a 'chick flick', I loved the fact that it truly inspired me to do something completely different in my life...just haven't had the balls to follow through yet...

godardian

Unlike the film's trailer, poster, publicity or promotion, the posts here have actually made me willing to see it someday.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: taintedloveYeah, I was pleasantly surprised by this one...saw it at the local discount theatre...only because the movie I really wanted to see had started already.

Although this movie was a 'chick flick', I loved the fact that it truly inspired me to do something completely different in my life...just haven't had the balls to follow through yet...

Haha... I totally agree... this movie was all about taking chances and changing directions in your life... I loved it...

nice screenname, by the way... and welcome.

aclockworkjj

I really loved the relationship Lane's character forms with the workers...I think there is a ton of symbolism here.  Regarding life in general...I mean, there is the obvious: they are 3 completely different people, and it's about getting along with everyone.  But it's deeper than that I think...they are 3 people also searching for something in reguards to their own lives.  And I think they find it within Lane's character.  As well as, she ...through them, is almost reassured that everything will in fact... be okay.    

Almost like they grew with her, as she was growing as a person.  And I think when down and out...there are usually gonna be those people (or things for that matter) that you find that will make you grow...might not be easy, but you will usually grow as a person.    

There is also the huge, huge sense of want, and how wants can not easily be met when searching.  And that's what makes it hard...it's hard to understand that it's not about making something you want happen.. as much as it about making yourself accessible to allow what you want to happen, to happen.  

Maybe I could just relate all too well to Diane Lane's character in this, cause of events in my own life... but yeah...it affected me a hell of a lot more than I thought it would.

...shit, maybe I just need to see more movies as of recent...

aclockworkjj