Robert Downey Jr is back in The Singing Detective

Started by Redlum, January 16, 2003, 06:54:01 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i just saw this tonite.  i havent seen the original mini-series, but i think i will whenever i get around to it.  but, i didnt really care for this one, although i wasnt very interested in it in the first place.  i thought the premise was really cool and the trailer looked cool, but i just didnt have any hopes.  and it was pretty bizarre.  it just seemed like a "sundance-y" type of movie, and not a very good one.  lots of talent involved, a few good ideas, a half baked finished product.  i am not sure how long you have to look at the gross-faced Michael Gambon in the original but you have to look at Robert Downey Jr.'s disgusting face in closeup for a great deal of this movie. i had expected more of the movie to take place within his imagination/novel/memories, and not in the present.  the songs were okay, but they kept playing them over and over and they should've recorded their own vocals instead of lip-synching over classic versions of the songs.  it made it seem even more like dress-up, and less like a real film.  but, ill still see the miniseries.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

BonBon85

I didn't think it was too exciting, but I also wasn't expecting much. I thought Mel Gibson was great, though. I hadn't even realized it was him until the credits.

pete

I was on the set of this film when I visited LA.  It was a little set.
I coulda been a lot better had they spent more time on the production-- the musical numbers, the noir scenes...etc.  But everything looked rushed.
It's got a heart though and I liked that.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton