INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Reel

welcome back to the REAL Doc Sportello

P Heat

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 15, 2013, 07:50:45 PM
She's an American citizen!

LOL!! 

FUUUU ...... P.T is killing me with this choice though...
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Pubrick

we may be going back to ensemble here folks.

this many "name" actors, it'd be a shame for him to waste them with minor lines or background roles. this is gonna be some kind of showcase. more than a revisiting of his previous ensemble work, or an extension of his recent intense single character focus, it seems like it could be some kind of hybrid we haven't seen from him before.

where is PTA going with this? just when i thought his trajectory made perfect sense.. could this be an EWS-prototype? in the sense that this doc character will be made to be a passive/reactionary type who travels from scene to see absorbing and reflecting interesting characters, under the guise of a drug fueled hazy dream in search of a mysterious woman?

QUESTION TO THOSE WHO HAVE READ THE BOOK: Is there a mysterious woman?
under the paving stones.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

All we can really hope for is something more Altman than "Towering Inferno", which I'm sure is what's going to happen. We know the choices aren't being made to star-stud the piece into commercial territory, even with a few A-listers in the roster, and that these are people PTA knew would be good for this adaptation.

I remember the first ensemble piece I was disappointed with as a kid was "Mars Attacks"...(even though I find it kind of fun to watch now). However I watched "Gosford Park" recently for the first time in about 5 years and saw all these great actors that I'm now familiar with being utilized brilliantly.

Not sure how the movie will turn out, but the dry, straight-foward and trippy nature of Doc informs the atmosphere of the book as well as the environment and surrounding characters. PTAs myriad influences always produce a hybrid that seems natural. One can only hope to stay excited and unaware as to the final product until we see something.

Lottery

It will depend on exactly how close PTA wants it to the book, no doubt Shasta's (and perhaps Bigfoot's) will get meatier roles than in the book. There are a whole bunch of interesting characters that get only like a scene or two each. Some characters will be cut out all together.

There's always that chance that great actors may end up 'underused' but I won't really care that much if they are utilised memorably within the few scenes they're in.

I think people will definitely complain about the plot when the film gets released, they'll say it's aimless and with a handful of coincidences happening. But yeah, really, really interesting characters with awesome names (that is one of my favourite things about the book, a link back to PTA anyway). PTA himself could certainly tighten up the plot if he felt like it.

socketlevel

I read the book last summer in anticipation for this film, and I found it really boring. I'm sure PTA will do something substantial with it, and hopefully improve upon it, though I am a little bewildered why he chose it above others. Anyone got a link to an interview where he discusses how this came about?
the one last hit that spent you...

Garam

Pynchon's peeps was shopping around Inherent Vice almost straight after it was published as a movie project since it's cross-over friendly, and PTA snapped it up. I don't know about Pynchon's older books, i'm assuming the rights to those were sold back in the 70s.

DocSportello

QuoteThe Sean Penn scoop makes the Jim Carrey-as-Bigfoot rumors that have been floating around feel like a soon-to-be reality

WOMP WOOOOMP!

No matter. Whoever it ends up being will of course be incredible. PTA aint gonna fuck that character up.

I would speak further but my current internet source is that of a PS3 browser, sans keyboard, so it literally takes a decade to write anything. Until I'm near a comp, I'm bumpin'.

Drenk

The idea of Michael Shannon for Bigfoot is pretty great, isn't it? I'm praying God.

And I read this :

QuoteJoaquin Phoenix not here for THE IMMIGRANT. He's shooting the new PT Anderson. "Believe it or not he wanted to come," sez dir James Gray.

So...It begins.
Ascension.

Lottery

Yeah, Shannon has been on my wishlist but David Warshofsky would be cool too.

And I always finish with that Hoffman could pull it off too (another role besides Wolfmann).

DocSportello

QuoteDodd vs. Quell in the next life sounds fascinating

MY GOD! I've been secretly hoping it would be PSH so when you put it that way....

Also, we're, like, total name-bros or something. So, hey Doc!

Cloudy

I know we're all looking for news, but someone from the 'IV' IMDB boards posted this segment of the book with the song Pynchon wrote in for it. This kinda stuff gets me excited.

I'm not even expecting this scene to be actually included in the film, but two nights ago I was re-reading this part while listening to this http://youtu.be/4VtrG6yyS1Q, and imagning Joaquin and Owen... kinda blew my mind.

When the set ended, a curious sort of hippie chick approached the piano, her hair short and tightly permed, her outfit including a Little Black Dress from the 1950s and interestingly high stiletto heels. In fact, now that Doc looked closer, maybe she wasn't really a hippie chick after all. She seated herself at the keyboard the way a poker player might at a promising table, ran a couple of A-minor scales up and down, and without much more introduction than that began to sing the Rodgers & Hart lounge classic "It Never Entered My Mind." Doc was not a great admirer of torch material, had in fact been known to discreetly withdraw to the nearest toilet if he even suspected some might be on the way, but now he sat confounded and turning to Jell-O. Maybe it was this young woman's voice, her quiet confidence in the material—howsoever, by the second eight bars Doc knew there was no way not to take the lyric personally. He found shades in his pocket and put them on. After an extended piano break and a repeat of the refrain, Doc on some impulse turned, and there was Coy Harlingen at his shoulder, like a parrot in a cartoon, also wearing shades and nodding. "I can sure relate to that lyric, man. Like, you make these choices? you know for sure you'r e doing the right thing for everybody, then it all goes belly-up and you see it couldn't have been more wrong."

MacGuffin

Josh Brolin Joins P.T. Anderson's 'Inherent Vice'
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Josh Brolin is the latest star to join the killer cast of Inherent Vice, Paul Thomas Anderson's adaptation of the Thomas Pynchon detective novel. Brolin has been set for a key role, and will star alongside Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Martin Short, and Jena Malone, with Sean Penn reportedly eyeing a role as well. The film shoots this summer for Warner Bros, and PTA is producing through his Ghoulardi Film Co. along with JoAnne Sellar and Daniel Lupi.

Brolin will finish that film and promote the three films he has coming out in the fall. He stars in the Robert Rodriguez/Frank Miller-directed Sin City 2: A Dame To Kill For, for The Weinstein Company. After that comes Oldboy, the remake he stars in for director Spike Lee, and then the Jason Reitman-directed Labor Day, opposite Kate Winslet. That film opens in limited release at Christmas. CAA-repped Brolin was last seen in Gangster Squad at Warner Bros.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kellen

Lottery

He was picked because he is intimidating and likes Western stuff like Bigfoot. My theory anyway.

Anyone feel that this movie will be a fair bit like The Long Goodbye?