MacGuffin

Best Documentary: MAN ON WIRE

THE NOMINEES

American Teen
Bigger Stronger Faster*
Encounters At The End of the World
Man on Wire
Religulous
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Please someone explain to me what's so good about this film. I couldn't get more than 20 minutes into it. It bored the frigging hell out of me. I know lots of you weren't that impressed with Encounters, but to me it spoke volumes about mankind's existence, using the Antarctic as metaphor for our failures on both personal and global levels.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alexandro

well. i was about to turn it off during the first 20 minutes getting exasperated with all these talk about magic and imagination and all this saccharine crap. but it slowly wrapsy in on it and you become an accomplice of these guys, and of course by the point he actually does it it does feels like magic, an unexplainable, unecesary yet undeniably beautiful event that feel trascendent. and it leaves you with a good taste in your mouth.

that said, i felt encounters was a much more rich, thoughtful and relevant film, not to mention trascendent in a spiritual sense. i pretty much felt like roger ebert felt about that film, so man on wire pales in comparison to be honest...