Script Writing Program

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 12, 2003, 05:30:11 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickThis isn't true at all... script readers read tons of scripts a day (tons = about 20-30), so they know what proper formatting is... and if your script doesn't have it, they won't read it... it goes straight into the trash... I know someone who was a script reader, and he'd toss at least half of the scripts out because they lacked proper formatting.  Since nearly everyone uses Final Draft, the readers are used to the Final Draft formatting, so your script is more likely to be read.

Proper formatting is done with Movie Magic or any other of the script programs too. I'd like to believe that if your friend threw them out it was because they weren't formatted correctly, not because they weren't done on Final Draft.

I'm just saying that Final Draft will allow the screen writer to play it safe, not that its the only option... its definatly my prefered option, and that of my professional, better paid colleagues as well.   :P

Ghostboy

I use Movie Magic Screenwriter; those of you who've used both, what are the differences between it and Final Draft? I'd assume formatting is exactly the same and the differences are in the features.

MacGuffin

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI'm just saying that Final Draft will allow the screen writer to play it safe, not that its the only option... its definatly my prefered option, and that of my professional, better paid colleagues as well.   :P

And I'm saying do what works best for you, because when a reader gets a script, once he/she checks that it's properly formatted, then it's what you've written that matters.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

coffeebeetle

Two questions: 1)What exactly do these scriptwriting programs do besides properly formatting a script? and 2)Why isn't this thread in Brainstorming or Tech Talk?
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Banky

Quote from: GhostboyI use Movie Magic Screenwriter; those of you who've used both, what are the differences between it and Final Draft? I'd assume formatting is exactly the same and the differences are in the features.

is movie magic a lot better? What are the big differences?

aclockworkjj

Quote from: coffeebeetleTwo questions: 1)What exactly do these scriptwriting programs do besides properly formatting a script? and

There is just a lot of "smart type" functions to cut down on time and formatting headaches.

Ex. with Final Draft, pressing the TAB key allows you to easily jump from dialogue, scene, action, or shot instances.  Also things like prefilling a characters name, or scene heading...

They just basically take the things you would type out, over, and over...and make it happen simply by pressing the enter key.  There are a lot of functions, but the biggest is just getting rid of the time consuming bullshit.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI'm just saying that Final Draft will allow the screen writer to play it safe, not that its the only option... its definatly my prefered option, and that of my professional, better paid colleagues as well.   :P

And I'm saying do what works best for you, because when a reader gets a script, once he/she checks that it's properly formatted, then it's what you've written that matters.

I completely agree.   :-D

ShanghaiOrange

I've downloaded Final Draft (if I ever make it I'll buy it) but it's funny, the work fucking isn't in it's dictionary.

I guess Tarantino and PTA had to add that word pretty quickly.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Cecil

when you make a statistic report, it will tell you each naughty word you used and how many times you used them

Thecowgoooesmooo

id go with movie majic screenwriter over final draft, big disadvantage about draft is the fact that you can only have the registered copy on 2 computers.. its a big pain sometimes... theres other probs to it compared to majic,  download a demo of movie majic, its great

chris

Recce

Final draft is pretty awsome. Its pretty straight forward. Its basically like word with controls over dialogue, etc. It has my vote.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")