I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

Something Spanish

I just blind buy a bunch during sales, as per your average criterion addict. Have a lot of non-English ones.

jenkins

then it's like "but what are your favorites" but nevermind, it wasn't interrogation but curiosity.

i like oddballs and during this sale i first bought Heart of a Dog

Something Spanish

I saw that on HBOGO a few months back after watching back-to-back movies dealing with death (a really good Israeli film titled One Week and a Day and another from Spain titled Truman) and had a hard time getting into it. Didn't find it had anything enlightening let alone interesting to say about the subject. Maybe if she had talked more about Lou Reed, but it's all about that damn dog. I'm a dog lover, but this was a bit much. Heart of a Lou. That's what she should have done.

jenkins

i just wanted to know what foreign movies are considered essentials these days ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Something Spanish

Same essentials these days as 10-20 years ago: seven samurai, 400 blows, 8 1/2, etc...

Some good ones I saw for the first time Sundays and Cybele, Samurai trilogy, everything in  that Demy box set.

jenkins

well 20 years ago Chungking Express was new and now it's an essential. but i'm picking up what you're laying down. you strike me as a very healthy movie person and i appreciate both your answer and the path that led us here.

WorldForgot

I just got:
Bob Rafelson and Jack Nicholson's HEAD,
PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE on Arrow Video BR,
CAT IN THE BRAIN two-disc dvd,
Todd Haynes' POISON 20th Anniversary dvd...

All Hail Cinefile Video!

jenkins

oh, you regularly attend theatrical viewings, and/or understand how to torrent plus have streaming services, lol. let me show you what real fire looks like

genuinely childishly excited about these blu-rays, my first and currently-ownly 2018 home-media releases. another iteration of this actually included Revenge instead, but i cancelled that order deleted that post and jb did actually represent the overall-underdog with Revenge, but me the guy i am i fell on the side of the too-far of course i did

Something Spanish

nice picks, jenks.  the cinematic equivalent of smoking loud.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilberfan

Ooof. Tried it a couple of months ago. You're a better man than I...   

Robyn

picked up some DVDs for the first time in years...

jenkins

Robyn

I had forgotten how much it adds to the excitement, to actually buy films in physical form instead of torrenting them with bad quality.

suzhou river is the one I'm looking forward to the most. I read a few reviews and watched some on youtube, and I think it'll be a special film. vertigo made by wong kar-wai, is the description I keep reading.

have you watched it, jenkins?

Robyn