No Direction Home: Bob Dylan

Started by noyes, July 09, 2005, 01:37:03 PM

socketlevel

Quote from: JimmyGatorAnyone seen this?  Came out on DVD a couple days ago, correct?

i saw it at the festival, i like the way the story was played out while cutting back to a famous yet controversial part of his career.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

mogwai

Quote from: socketleveli like the way the story was played out while cutting back to a famous yet controversial part of his career.
was that when the only time he smiled?

JG

I missed the smiling part, I think.

Did anyone catch the interview with Scorsese after the PBS showing.  Kinda interesting.

Alethia

ahhh fuck they interviewed him?  dammit, i didnt bother to watch it on tv cuz i already bought it - could u give a basic rundown of what was said?

cowboykurtis

with none other than charlie rose steering the ship
...your excuses are your own...

JG

well i was kinda asleep but it seemed like charlie rose just did most of the talking and scorsese said yes.  scorsese didn't even seem to be that into bob dylan.  he just seemed to be doing this project.  the only part that i remember well is how scorsese was saying how underrated the use of pop music in movies is.  i agree.

cowboykurtis

we must have seen two different interviews -

scorsese was a motor mouth as usual. his admiration for dylan was pretty candid as well.
...your excuses are your own...

JG

like i said i was kinda asleep, but it seems like charlie rose would ask a question and then he would answer it himself.

jazzjune

This looks very interesting...although I don't listen to Bob Dylan all that much.
be quiet and drive

SiliasRuby

Huge Bob Dylan Fan. I absolutely LOVED This and will be buying it soon.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

A Matter Of Chance

I am a total Dylan geek, I go ga-ga at his mention. Anyway this was amazing, the part about him stealing the records was hilarious.

mogwai

i'm really surprised how talkative he is in the doc. he's just a normal dude who've been overrated by critics and fans for years. he even smiled and laughed at one time. the reason i wanted to see was how he tackled nosy journalists and crazy fans. the judas part was perfect and really showed bob as a musician, not jesus christ or something else. i'd like to see him talk about the years when he didn't tour (between 66 to 73 or something). this doc definitely needs to sequels. unless bob keels over.

The Red Vine

As a huge Dylan fan, this movie was a joy for me to watch. I'll go out on a limb and say that only a master filmmaker like Scorsese could handle this much material and balance it out nicely. Particularly into three hours (which really isn't that long for a movie about a lifetime).
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

planet_jake

But the movies doesn't span his lifetime, does it? From what I saw, it stopped at 1966. Scorsese has a quadrilogy to finish!!!

Bob Dylan: No Direction Home 2: 1966-1978 Bob & Sara
Bob Dylan: No Direction Home 3: 1978-1989 Bob & God
Bob Dylan: No Direction Home 4: 1989-present Bob & Bob

Oh yeah baby...

For my money this is one of the best movies of the year, if not the finest film Scorsese has ever made. Definaltey an incredibly valuable document and a wonderful compainion piece to Don't Look Back.