TOP TEN 2004

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 28, 2005, 06:37:33 PM

The Red Vine

Best movie of 2004 was Dogville and I'd put The Brown Bunny at #4 on my list. The Village and Million Dollar Baby would be on there too.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

soixante

I really haven't locked down my 2004 top ten.  It is subject to change.  I still haven't seen Finding Neverland or Vera Drake.

Ten years can make a difference.  When I saw Seven upon first release, I liked it, but I didn't love it.  Now it seems like a classic.   Stuff like Desperado and Get Shorty, which I loved on first viewing, doesn't seem as good now.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Gold Trumpet

I really have no interest to go back and re-align my top ten, but one film I wish I did include was When Will I Be Loved. A very underrated film that not only is wonderfully made, but challenges conventional morality with a complex situation that falls on an entire array of questions one has to ask themselves about what is right. What I found myself answering after Neve Campbell's character takes the most drastic route is that I really never faulted her. Innocence was no characters' claim in the film though some of them suffered.

The Red Vine

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI really have no interest to go back and re-align my top ten, but one film I wish I did include was When Will I Be Loved. A very underrated film that not only is wonderfully made, but challenges conventional morality with a complex situation that falls on an entire array of questions one has to ask themselves about what is right. What I found myself answering after Neve Campbell's character takes the most drastic route is that I really never faulted her. Innocence was no characters' claim in the film though some of them suffered.

Agreed, though I think Campbell's performance was in some ways better than the movie
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Gold Trumpet

How? As limited as this analysis may paint the picture, the best part of the film is that it does stand on a bold question of morality in just a situation. The details around the film are for the situation. The film is its presentation. And I really cannot say I've seen such a question posed before.

Sometimes films come around that are barometers for society. They seem able to only be made for their times. When Will I Be Loved is not as obviously topical as Control Room or even the recent doc, The Aristocrats, but it feels as timely. The best part of this film is that the best judgement may come in years to see how relevant the idea of morality still is in this film. Or whether I would still even agree like I did my first viewing.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Revised again.

10 - Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
9 - Baadasssss
8 - The Saddest Music In The World
7 - Kill Bill Vol. 2
6 - Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
5 - The Dreamers
4 - I Heart Huckabees
3 - The Brown Bunny
2 - Sideways
1 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Honorable mentions:

Coffee and Cigarettes
Undertow
Closer
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

No really ... :yabbse-czechswatch:

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm sorry I have to be the one to break it to you, Ono, but... it wasn't even funny the first time.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

MacGuffin

1.) The Passion Of The Christ
2.) Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
3.) The Aviator
4.) Sideways
5.) Man On Fire
6.) Million Dollar Baby
7.) Maria Full Of Grace
8.) The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
9.) Closer
10.) The Machinist
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Ooh, this is nice to revisit, after giving these movies plenty of time to settle in.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. Sideways
3. Shaun of the Dead
4. Collateral
5. Life Aquatic
6. Primer
7. Million Dollar Baby
8. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring
9. The Incredibles
10. Closer/Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2.
WWPTAD?

Tictacbk

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. Life Aquatic
3. Million Dollar Baby
4. Kill Bill
5. Anchorman
6. Sideways
7. Shaun of the Dead
8. The Incredibles
9. Spider-man 2
10. Dogville

Pubrick

Quote from: Pubricketernal dreamways of incredible oldgirls ...and spring-2: before dynamite.
changed to:

eternal aviatordream of incredible lifegrace ...and spring-2: dynamite girls
under the paving stones.

JG

I can't remember all the movies I saw in 2004, although it certainly was alot more than this year.   Eternal Sunshine and Kill Bill are the ones that really stick in my mind.

Pubrick

Quote from: JimmyGatorEternal Sunshine and Kill Bill are the ones that really stick in my mind.
as best and worst, yeah.
under the paving stones.