3. Million Dollar Baby
4. I Heart Huckabees
5. Sideways
6. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
7. The Aviator
8. Closer
9. Collateral
10. Hotel Rwanda

Honorable Mentions: The Incredibles, Finding Neverland, Maria Full of Grace, Dawn of the Dead, Napoleon Dynamite, The Five Obstructions

There are still a few movies I haven't seen yet, including Kinsey, Tarnation, A Very Long Engagement and The Motorcycle Diaries (plus several others). I've seen enough to be comfortable making a list, though.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

ono

Add one to my list: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring.  It's on DVD now, no excuse not to see it.  So do so as soon as you can.

Pubrick

eternal dreamways of incredible oldgirls ...and spring-2: before dynamite.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

10 - Eternal Sunshine
09 - Jim Carrey
08 - Michel Gondry
07 - Kate Winslet
06 - Jon Brion
05 - Charlie Kaufman
04 - Ruffalo
03 - Elijah Wood
02 - Dunst
01 - Garden State
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Derek237

1. Life Aquatic

2. Million Dollar Baby

3. The Aviator

4. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

5. Sideways

6. Kill Bill, vol. 2

7. I Heart Huckabees

8. Garden State

9-10. space for rent

abuck1220

1. I Heart Huckabee's (David O. Russell)
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry)
3. The Aviator (Martin Scorsese)
4. opening sequence thru title credits - Dawn of the Dead (Zack Snyder)
5. Fahrenheit 9/11 (Michael Moore)
6. Infernal Affairs (Wai Keung Lau and Siu Fai Mak)
7. Collateral (Michael Mann)
8. Dogville (Lars von Trier)
9. Million Dollar Baby (Clint Eastwood)
10. Kinsey (Bill Condon)
11. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (Ki-duk Kim)
12. Before Sunset (Richard Linklater)
13. Sideways (Alexander Payne)
14. The Incredibles (Brad Bird)

matt35mm

I, too, only have 5.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. Before Sunset
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Million Dollar Baby
5. Sideways

Eternal Sunshine for ultimately moving me the most this year.  For whatever criticisms anyone can throw at it (and LORD knows it's not a perfect movie), it has to be #1 for being able to move me more deeply than any other this year.

Before Sunset because it literally made me smile so much that my face hurt by the end.  I had definite expressions on my face from frame one to frame last.  So it brings out a lot of emotions in me when I see it, but all of it is pure joy.

Spider-Man 2 because I can't remember seeing a movie that was so thrilling.  Seeing it at a midnight screening on the first day, the energy in the room was awesome.  This movie hooked me in and made me so giddy.  It was EVERYTHING that a fun Summer comic-book superhero action movie should have been, for me at least.  It's not particularly deep, but it's #3 for the sheer thrill that it gave and still gives me.

Million Dollar Baby is essentially tied with Sideways, with just a hair's edge going to MDB.  The movie was just a joy to watch; the characters just got to me.  I like the front end more than the back end, however.  Lots to criticize, but the characters just GOT to me, and so I've gotta give credit where it's due.

Sideways, also, was just a great joy to watch.  Especially the second time, when I focused more on the performances.  Madsen, Church, and Giamatti gave the best performances in their respective categories as far as I'm concerned.  And of course, the screenplay is an inspiring piece of work.

soixante

I haven't seen Sideways, Closer or Vera Drake yet, so I can't really make a Top 10 yet.  But so far, my list consists of Aviator, Kill Bill 2, Million Dollar Baby, Eternal Sunshine, Huckabees, Dogville, When Will I Be Loved, Before Sunset, Napoleon Dynamite, Collateral.
Music is your best entertainment value.

soixante

Quote from: soixanteI haven't seen Sideways, Closer or Vera Drake yet, so I can't really make a Top 10 yet.  But so far, my list consists of Aviator, Kill Bill 2, Million Dollar Baby, Eternal Sunshine, Huckabees, Dogville, When Will I Be Loved, Before Sunset, Napoleon Dynamite, Collateral.

Update -- just saw Closer.  To my list, add Closer and subtract Before Sunset.

Myxo

Quote from: soixante
Quote from: soixanteI haven't seen Sideways, Closer or Vera Drake yet, so I can't really make a Top 10 yet.  But so far, my list consists of Aviator, Kill Bill 2, Million Dollar Baby, Eternal Sunshine, Huckabees, Dogville, When Will I Be Loved, Before Sunset, Napoleon Dynamite, Collateral.

Update -- just saw Closer.  To my list, add Closer and subtract Before Sunset.

You'd add Sideways and Million Dollar Baby as well, once you see them.

jtm

1. The Aviator
2. Sideways
3. Million Dollar Baby
4. Kill Bill vol2
5. Dogville
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
7. I Heart Huckabees
8. Shaun of the Dead
9. Team America: World Police
10. Metallica:Some Kind of Monster

Pozer

wasn't gonna, but just saw Spring, summer and felt compelled to do so cause now 2004 is finally complete (and am tired of waiting for undertow).
Anyway, here go:
1.Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring
2.Before Sunset
3.Sideways
4.Closer
5.Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
6.Dogville
7.Million Dollar Baby
8.The Aviator
9.I Heart Huckabees
10.The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
this list, even though much like others, feels nice.

brockly

2004 had more brilliant films than any other year so far this decade, but what its missing for me is at least one straight up masterpiece that makes the year truly memorable. 2003 it was, for me anyway, kill bill vol 1, 2002 had pdl & adaptation, 2001 mulholland dr (best so far) and 2000 dancer in the dark. nothing really stood out last year like those all did. havent been able to see spring summer, undertow or life aquatic yet tho so things could change.

soixante

I think 2004 was somewhat disappointing, as was 2003.  2002 was a great year, with Chicago, The Pianist, Punch-Drunk Love, Adaptation, About Schmidt, Gangs of NY, Far From Heaven, Auto Focus, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Storytelling...for my money that list is pretty strong.