High Life

Started by jenkins, October 12, 2018, 02:42:04 PM

jenkins

7 November 2018 (France)

Alethia

I cannot wait for this. It screened at NYFF and I couldn't make it and for that, I am sad.

Alethia

Easily the best movie I've seen so far this year. Hypnotic, tender, ferocious, murderous, claustrophobic, hopeless and full of love, thirsty as fuck, bleak and deepest black - soaked in fluids and smeared with soil  - this is absolutely in keeping with the bulk of Denis' output and ranks as another certifiable masterpiece in a career almost entirely composed of them. Pattinson makes a hard impression, as has been his wont the past decade-ish now. Juliette Binoche terrifyingly reminds us she's the best actress working:

Spoiler: ShowHide
There is a boldly extended sequence that is absolutely banananuts beautiful in which Binoche strips down and rides a literal Burn After Reading style metal sex machine inside what is grimly referred to as The Box that feels in its own way as monumentally transportive and tripped-out a sequence as the Stargate at the end of 2001

Dying to see this again.

samsong

i'm pretty biased as my love of claire denis is boundless, but this is fucking spectacular.   need to see it again soon but this may rank near the top of her oeuvre.

Alethia

Guys, we ain't fucking around - this film is astonishingly great.

Something Spanish

what the fuck did I just watch? denis threw my brain into a food processor

csage97

I clicked into this thread thinking I'd see info about a stoner comedy. Instead, I see praise for a film starring one of my favourite actresses. Too bad it's only playing an hour away from me in the city ....

Alethia

Something Spanish

Spoiler: ShowHide
realized earlier that this is the second film so far this year released by A24, and made by French filmmakers, where characters in a confined space go cuckoo and start offing each other.