Akira Kurosawa

Started by xerxes, January 10, 2003, 12:56:53 AM

xerxes

my favorite director... he should be up there

Duck Sauce

I am slowly but steadily working my way through his films, and I am mesmorized by how beautiful the black and white works. Anyway, quick and ignorant question... Are all his films about or related to samurais?

xerxes

Quote from: Duck SauceI am slowly but steadily working my way through his films, and I am mesmorized by how beautiful the black and white works. Anyway, quick and ignorant question... Are all his films about or related to samurais?
no, he did quite a few non-samurai related films... check out 'ikiru' and 'dreams'

Gold Trumpet

Kurosawa went through many stages of directing different stories. The samuari stage is the most well known of his stages but there are also stages that involve everything from humanitarian films (Read Beard) to crime thrillers (High and Low, Stray Dogs) that spoke well on society at the times. I disagree though Kurosawa should have his own forum because he is way too unkown amongst this crowd but I do promote more talk of his work because I am a great admirer of his films. Actually, his greatest of all movies, Ran, was his reaction to being pigeonhold into just being a man who only directed war movies involving samuarias in the sense it was the tale of a man of war who was trying to make ammends with his bloody past and do the right thing. After Ran in 1985, Kurosawa made movies like he was a man finally at peace with his subjects and more observant in a delicate way.

Kurosawa filmed all his movies like they were westerns and his stories only followed that because they were never stories of someone being good and overcoming evil but someone just trying to be good in the first place.

~rougerum

xerxes

i not sure he ever really went through 'stages' as you put it.  'high and low' and 'stray dog' were made 14 years apart if i remember correctly.  but, i ask you, isn't the fact that he is not too widely known on this board a great reason to have a forum dedicated to him?

Gold Trumpet

No, because all a category would mainly do for him is go untouched for the most part and as most people see that his forum is getting no attention for the most part, they will likely visit there less and less to the point they won't even touch it. Kurosawa is not a director who everyone here will run to see every post about. That's PTA only for the most part. I think having a big board of all different directors will allow people to be able to see the threads on them and give them an easier time on seeing it since it will be all within one forum.

Also, stages was the wrong word. Lets say Kurosawa films fall into three different categories of films: the samuari dramas steeped in Japanese history, literary adaptations, and contempary stories set in Japan. Though some films do go into more than one category, it seems Kurosawa has basically made films within those three categories for the most part. This info (basic three categories of his films) was courtesy of Roger Ebert's memorium of Kurosawa.

~rougerum

~rougerum

budgie

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
~rougerum

~rougerum

The first Xixax cloning... I always knew there was something cultish going on.

:shock: *

*God, I love that smiley

xerxes

i think he's got some fans here... and although a general director's forum might work, if we're gonna have seperate forums for different directors, i think it would do us some good to have him up there

Pwaybloe

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI disagree though Kurosawa should have his own forum because he is way too unkown amongst this crowd...
~rougerum

Hmmm... Can someone say, "film snob?"

Gold Trumpet

I am a film "snob", but thats not even a comment that shows me as being a film snob since I mentioned nothing about his films being too good or superior to this forum, but that is he way too unkown here. and I think i wrote that sentence wrong you quoted anyways because i should have said he shouldn't get a forum here.

~rougerum

Xixax

Gold Trumpet is right about this one. No snobbery involved!

Some better known directors have already lost their board because of inactivity. And, there have even been a few complaints about too many forums.

I would guess we're at a good number right now. Maybe even cut back a little.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

RegularKarate

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetbut that is he way too unkown here. ~rougerum

you very wrong... he very very kown here.  Me kow him, you kow him, Budgie Kow him.

Much Kown is he.

you know I'm just fuckin' with you GT

Xixax

Quote from: RegularKarateyou very wrong... he very very kown here.  Me kow him, you kow him, Budgie Kow him.
RK love you long time!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Gold Trumpet

then he mysteriously makes most people here very shy

~rougerum

MacGuffin

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER notes that writer Marshall Smith has been tapped as scriptwriter for a remake of the Akira Kurosawa classic SEVEN SAMURAI in production at Miramax.

The remake remains untitled, and the article notes that it's unlikely the filmmakers will adopt the same tack as a previous American remake, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks