The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Stefen

PTA wouldn't do that.

would he?

It does bring up a character that we can all speculate about. Maybe Dano? I think he got mad underrated for his work in TWBB. DDL got his nuts hugged like crazy, but Dano didn't even get a head nod.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

matt35mm

I'm so happy that this thread has reached 2 pages within a couple of hours of this news, and the screenplay's not even finished!  It reminds me of this forum's heyday and the bond I will always have with y'all.  I love that we can have threads on PTA's movies that will reach 100 pages before the film's first trailer.

I think 2010 is gonna be a good year for XIXAX.

children with angels

I agree! This is a special moment.

On the movie: I wonder there's room for much of PTA's humour in this one?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Redlum

Only recently I was having to justify my love of Boogie Nights for reasons other than Heather Graham FFN. Then I started to reminisce about the summer I got the DVD and was invited into the world of PTA - strange for me to be nostalgic now but having not watched it for a while I'm probably blurring my own memories with stolen ones of Dirk being invited into the world of Jack Horner and co...and subsequently C&RV and Xixax.

Anyways this project sounds great and it's nice to be able to come somewhere with folks who get that same feeling for some small scraps of plot synopsis.

Okay... Zack Efron as Freddie.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Marty McSuperfly

This is great news, not just for the fact that we have a new PTA movie on the horizon, but because it means that Xixax becomes a place to go again.
We all drift away in between projects but then when a new one comes along we flock back and start off anew.

Alexandro

Everything about the project sounds awesome. Religion was in many ways a backdrop in There Will Be Blood, it was always shown as a counterpoint to Daniel Plainview's view of the world. This one sounds as more of a study ON religion, which in many ways would be the logical next step for Anderson. The adherence of Hoffman only makes it more of a lock for most anticipated movie ever.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: Stefen on December 03, 2009, 02:29:33 AM
^I like that idea. Sister films.

For some reason, when I think of this and it's setting, I'm getting a Badlands type of vibe. I can't even imagine how beautiful 1952 America will look through Elswit's lens.

or Wise Blood

cronopio 2

depooter

IT's funny that I just watched TWBB again two days ago on Blu-ray...it's such a masterful film, but it always leaves me a bit cold. It certainly doesn't provide the adrenaline rush of watching Paul's earlier films like Boogie Nights, Magnolia and PDL...

While I have complete faith in whatever he does, I sure hope this new film has that spark that I felt was missing from TWBB. Maybe it's just the subject matter of TWBB, but it's really a hard movie for me to love despite its greatness in every way..

©brad

Holy fuck nuts.

So wait, is this being based on/adapted from anything?

Fernando

holy shit!!!!!!!

I go one afternoon to a fucking IRS seminar and all this happens, was the tree of life trailer posted too???

Quote from: Stefen on December 03, 2009, 02:10:54 AM
Am I the only one not feeling another project with religious subject matter?

Nope, BUT, pta can't do no wrong (so far), and it's awesome that he may start filming next year which 24hrs ago was unthinkable.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: Stefen on December 02, 2009, 11:58:50 PM
This is after Metal Gear Solid, right?

lol lol lol...

oh and

Quote from: ρ on December 03, 2009, 01:00:29 AM
FIUCKLLKFKFK FLFLFL

FKJFKFKFK

FKFKFKFK FICKKFICKKCKC

FKKF

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

And we start the pattern of crazy again...

1.) PTA will mention what books he was influenced by for this one.  Everyone will rush out and read them.  Love them.

2.) PTA will mention what movies he was influenced by for this one.  Everyone will rush out and see them and come back, wondering why he chose those...mild disappointment.

3.) Screenplay will slowly leak.  People will read it, come back and tell everyone it sucks, it's boring, "W the fuck?"

4.) Teaser Poster comes out... work of genius... everyone will reference it in every thread here.

5.) Teaser trailer will come out, everyone will watch it a million times, jizz all over, tell everyone that hated the screenplay to suck a D.

5.) Official Release Poster will come out.  Everyone will hate it, screenplay jerk will be all "told you so".

6.) Official trailer will come out.  Amazing.  Screenplay jerks take it back.

7.) Movie comes out... two people will hate it... everyone else loves it.  One line will get quoted over and over.

8.) That line gets so over-quoted and referenced that the people who originally started quoting it will go back and erase original posts in which they quoted said line.  Then they'll say how much they hate it when people quote that line.

9.) Brett Ratner

can't wait