there has been blood (and now QT's review of CMBB)

Started by pete, November 06, 2007, 01:06:10 AM

hedwig

Quote from: Pas Rap on January 12, 2008, 08:36:35 AM
This is a classic epic movie with no attempt at being a wiseass or proving you understand things more. Your grandma and your sister will like this.

agreed.

when i saw it again yesterday the theatre was filled with old people and i heard them all praising it as they walked out. that's cool, but jesus christ i hate seeing movies with old people. after daniel killed eli this lady goes "there's the blood! they said there will be blood and there's the blood." :doh:

Pozer

haha same w/me when i saw it w/real ppl.  old folk galore and they all loved it/took ALL the free posters the theater gave away. 

old woman behind me as i was walking out of the theater: 'i'm finished.'  what a line.  couldnt have chosen better words to end it.

:yabbse-smiley:

Ravi

Lots of old people at the show I went to as well.

Why was this film rated R?  There was no bad language or sex/nudity, and the "violence" that the MPAA cites isn't all that violent.  Is there a certain level of blood that pushes a film into R territory?  Even the murder of Eli wasn't THAT bloody.

3)The (stupid) people who say that the character doesn't change mean that they wanted Daniel to get all crazy and evil and then come to terms with his life, get friends with Eli, share a drink with HW and live merrily ever after. Or the exact opposite, being all nice and become all evil. I hear there are still some good Meryl Streep movies out there so go out and rent one.

This is a depiction of what happens to a person if he doesn't change.  He never gets over his misanthropy, superiority, or greed, and it destroys his soul.

modage

Quote from: Hedwig on January 12, 2008, 03:16:31 PM
Quote from: bigideas on January 12, 2008, 02:45:13 PM
DDL called Paul his 'evil twin brother' in his Critic's Choice acceptance speech.

i love that he tells paul dano that dillon slaps harder than him.  its like he's still trying to one up him!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

Quote from: Ravi on January 12, 2008, 03:12:19 PM

3)The (stupid) people who critic the fact that the character doesn't change mean that they wanted Daniel to get all crazy and evil and then come to terms with his life, get friends with Eli, share a drink with HW and live merrily ever after. Or the exact opposite, being all nice and become all evil. I hear there are still some good Meryl Streep movies out there so go out and rent one.

This is a depiction of what happens to a person if he doesn't change.  He never gets over his misanthropy, superiority, or greed, and it destroys his soul.

Yeah and that's what make the film so powerful.

Anyway I reckon my Greatest Hit of that post will be the Old People Theory.

WHY DON'T YOU GUYS ADORE THIS FILM ????????????? :(

Pozer

Quote from: modage on January 12, 2008, 03:30:41 PM
i love that he tells paul dano that dillon slaps harder than him.  its like he's still trying to one up him!

i wonder how many people went, "who the hell is Dillon Freasier?"

Myxo

Some asshole behind me was eating boxed candy during the first ten or so minutes of the movie. Tiny little pieces of candy rolling out of a box over and over again followed by *crunch* *crunch* *crunch*. I was too big of a pussy to turn around and tell him to wait. Then there's the guy who kept checking his cell phone for text messages two seats away, ruining my movie vision every twenty minutes or so.

:yabbse-undecided:

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, but I need to see it again. I can't remember a character study of this magnitude in anything I've seen before. There were times when I felt bored. But I think that is partly because I expected something that I didn't deserve. I wanted more interaction with Eli. The molten quality of Plainview's relationship with people around him was frustrating. The fast forward to his confrontation with a grownup H.W. was expected but felt misplaced somehow. Eli is on a train and then all of a sudden we're several years into the future. I absolutely loved the end of this film. I just felt like something else needed to happen before we wrapped up H.W. & Eli's story.

hedwig

Quote from: Myxo on January 13, 2008, 01:11:32 AM
Some asshole behind me was eating boxed candy during the first ten or so minutes of the movie. Tiny little pieces of candy rolling out of a box over and over again followed by *crunch* *crunch* *crunch*. I was too big of a pussy to turn around and tell him to wait. Then there's the guy who kept checking his cell phone for text messages two seats away, ruining my movie vision every twenty minutes or so.

ok everyone let's make a pact:

if we are in a movie theatre watching CMBB and there are people making noise, we are going to SILENCE THEM.

of course it is easier to do this after you've seen the movie for the first time, you're less worried about missing something when you turn to shush somebody. so once you've seen the film there is no excuse for allowing this bullshit to continue. find the bravery inside yourselves. make a difference!

good people of xixax, it is our DUTY to put an end to this. it must stop, and we must do our part in stopping it.

here are some tips on what to say when you're asking somebody to be quiet:

- "if you don't shut the fuck up.. one night i'm going to come inside your house, wherever you're sleeping, and i'm going to cut your throat."
- "now you must really shut the fuck up, please. shut the fuck up."
- "SHUT UP! SHUT THE FUCK UP! SHUT UP, WILL YOU, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT SHUT UP! SHUT UP!"

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: Stefen on January 03, 2008, 01:39:48 PM
If even PTA fans aren't getting this movie, imagine how mainstream America is going to accept it.

Mini spoilers that everybody on this thread knows.

I believe mainstream america will love it more than too-cool-for-christmas-people because unlike PDL or Magnolia, liking this movie isn't about bein cool. This is a classic epic movie with no attempt at being a wiseass or proving you understand things more. Your grandma and your sister will like this.

And I seriously think the people who critic the 'lack of change in Daniel and Eli' are really searching for something that isn't there.

1)People in life don't change, they reveal themselves. There is no redemption. There is nothing that will change your roots.
2)That is exactly what Plainview does. The character evolves on the basis of his initial envy and anger.
3)The (stupid) people who say that the character doesn't change mean that they wanted Daniel to get all crazy and evil and then come to terms with his life, get friends with Eli, share a drink with HW and live merrily ever after. Or the exact opposite, being all nice and become all evil. I hear there are still some good Meryl Streep movies out there so go out and rent one.

This movie has made me a PTA fan, which I wasn't before (don't ask me what I'm doing here).

The only word for it is Epic. I think it's one of the best movie I've ever seen.

I'm totally behind this idea. I saw this late like some of you so I'm not sure what people on here already said (but, I will surely get through ever single page and post). Overall, I didn't come out of There Will Be Blood in the same way I did with No Country For Old Men. There Will Be Blood was more of a complete observational piece, it delivered a story (and characters) innate within all of us. Situations and characteristics we often find true in human nature as universal laws. Coming out, I didn't feel like I needed to go out for coffee and cigarettes afterwards to discuss the movie at all. Instead, the film was delivered in the most concise and comprehensible way. DDL's character out dates the conflicts and hardships of the industrial age. However, it helps that the movie takes place in that particular point in time (progressive/industrial age) because it can play a grand role showing the contrast between the business man and the common simple man. And more importantly, the effect. Which it does. I wouldn't like to come off as saying that DDL might as well have been just any business man... because it's still HIS story and the plot revolves around events that could have only shaped him to those outcomes. But we have to be careful seeing it in this light (ie. it's the story of Daniel Plainview, his kid, a poor town and their preacher) because then we would naturally suspect the character's issues only exist in the confines of the film/story. We won't get to see that we all have a little bit of DDL in our blood. Well, at least I found that as something rather important.

About people making noise... someone mentioned this before on here, it's inevitable once you decide to go to the theaters. You should expect it and face the fact that more than likely there will be douche bags attending that could care less for PTA, DDL, or basic moral ethics.

hedwig

Quote from: overmeunderyou on January 13, 2008, 02:20:17 AM
About people making noise... someone mentioned this before on here, it's inevitable once you decide to go to the theaters. You should expect it and face the fact that more than likely there will be douche bags attending that could care less for PTA, DDL, or basic moral ethics.
what are you talking about?

this isn't about facing facts. the fact has already been faced.

polkablues

Quote from: Hedwig on January 13, 2008, 02:27:49 AM
Quote from: overmeunderyou on January 13, 2008, 02:20:17 AM
what are you talking about?

this isn't about facing facts. the fact has already been faced.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.  In other words: silence that shit.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Saw this a second time...

Appreciated more the subtleties... the acting of DDL is perfect. I was bored in some parts but seeing a movie twice in a week makes that effect.

One thing about the Paul/Eli situation... Paul does tell Plainview that he has a brother named Eli so I wonder why I was so confused the first time around. I guess it's because that we don't remember that he named his brother because it's seems trivial.

Oh also, I edited the 'point 3' of my earlier critic to clear a confusion. I'm fucking french so give me a break.

modage

i can't believe anyone could be bored during this!  i've seen it 4 times and have yet to be bored, it actually seems to move faster them more i watch it.  i've also lucked out with all the crowds being pretty heavy film/PTA geeks and totally respectful.  i kinda dig the crowds that seem to laugh a bit more. 

the thing that bothered me about the last time i saw it was: the goddamn print was already scratched up!  they'd only had a week or less and it already had a big line running through it.  plus the screen it was being projected on had like creases on it.  AND the time before the fucking RED PIRACY DOTS were especially annoying.  i saw them about 7 times in the span of 5 minutes during the lighter scenes when Daniel arrives at the Sunday Ranch.  it totally took me out of the film.  something has to be done about these.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Quote from: Myxo on January 13, 2008, 01:11:32 AM

:yabbse-undecided:

This should be expected when you go to a movie. It's the reason I don't go anymore. It's too much of a hassle. It's fun to watch movies that meatheads dig in a theater, but anything I plan on taking seriously, I'm waiting to watch it by myself.

If you have a nice entertainment center setup, it's better just to hang back and wait for a screener to leak. Screeners (dvd quality) for No Country, Juno, Atonement, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Charlie Wilsons War, Gone Baby Gone, and tons others were online very quick and sometimes before the movie even hit theaters. It's better just to stay home and watch them by yourself.

CMBB screeners are out there, but noone is ripping them right. The current one is alright quality, but the sound is out of sync by about 4 seconds on the second disc.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

So, last night, I went to see Atonement with two other dudes, after deciding between that, There Will Be Blood (which we had all seen, and wanted to see again, but were weary of the saturday night Berkeley crowd), and Persepolis.  Afterwards we came out from Atonement, got into the car, and we all decided that none of us was feeling the movie.  I took out my mp3 player and said, "hey guys, lets pretend we came out of a better movie."  Then, on cue, my buddy said "I'm finished!" and we played Braham's violin concerto on the drive home.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton