The brilliance of Kurt Vonnegut

Started by SoNowThen, June 06, 2003, 11:42:04 AM

I Love a Magician

I'd suggest Mother Night.

And I think Cat's Cradle is being made into a movie.

squints

Mother night was made into a movie starring nick nolte in 1996, cat's cradle is "announced" but the screenplay was written by the dudes who wrote the screenplays for Tomb Raider 2, Sahara, Contact, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Muppet Treasure Island...no director yet...so i dunno how i feel about it, actually i'm a little frightened at what travesty could surmount
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

Quote from: squints on December 30, 2005, 02:45:34 AM
Mother night was made into a movie starring nick nolte in 1996, cat's cradle is "announced" but the screenplay was written by the dudes who wrote the screenplays for Tomb Raider 2, Sahara, Contact, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Muppet Treasure Island...no director yet...so i dunno how i feel about it, actually i'm a little frightened at what travesty could surmount

Could it be worse than "Breakfast of Champions" with Bruce Willis?

I submit that it could not.
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

i love Breakfast of Champions..but cat's cradle popped my vonnegut cherry and i hold it very very dear...turning it into some half-assed "action-packed" thriller intended to have a huge box-office draw starring leonardo dicaprio would crush a part of my soul...they still haven't announced a director..so there's still hope. i'm not saying a vonnegut story couldn't be a blockbuster...i'm just saying it'd be hard

slaughterhouse 5, while not great, is the best vonnegut adaptation..and most people i know (even huge fans of vonnegut's work) have never seen it. Breakfast of Champions is utter shite though, in the same way bonfire of the vanities is tripe.

i think i'll stick with my feelings of vonnegut being unfilmable

Who would play bokonon? how would they fit all the bokonon calypsos into the film?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reinhold

i'd want morgan freeman to play bokonon, personally.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

A Matter Of Chance

The other day, while riding the T with my friend, I got into a heated literary discussion with some stranger, where I decided to be wise a talk about Vonnegut. This kid was like, "Vonnegut? I don't do sci-fi." I nearly cried.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance on January 03, 2006, 07:17:38 PM
The other day, while riding the T with my friend, I got into a heated literary discussion with some stranger, where I decided to be wise a talk about Vonnegut. This kid was like, "Vonnegut? I don't do sci-fi." I nearly cried.

That comment was a cry for help.  You should have bought this kid a copy of Slaughterhouse Five and sent him on his way.

Quote from: squints on December 30, 2005, 02:45:34 AM
cat's cradle is "announced" but the screenplay was written by the dudes who wrote the screenplays for Tomb Raider 2, Sahara, Contact, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Muppet Treasure Island...no director yet...so i dunno how i feel about it, actually i'm a little frightened at what travesty could surmount

Where the hell have I been?  The last I heard was screenplay by Richard Kelly and Darren Aronofsky.  So it makes more sense to get the guy who wrote Hook instead of the guy who wrote Pi to adapt Vonnegut?

Reinhold

my friend ethan told me he didn't like sci fi when i told him about vonnegut this summer. we happened to be walking through a used book store, so i bought him a copy of slaughterhouse-five. he loved it and has since read cats cradle and breakfast of champions.

has anybody read  wampeters, fomas, and granfalloons?
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

squints

Quote from: permanent username on January 05, 2006, 04:40:53 PM
has anybody read  wampeters, fomas, and granfalloons?

Its sitting there on my shelf but i have yet to read it.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: permanent username on January 05, 2006, 04:40:53 PMhas anybody read  wampeters, fomas, and granfalloons?

I read it summer before last. It's a lot better than his new collection of essays, Man Without a Country.

Reinhold

i own kvjr.com

i'd like use it to honor Vonnegut in some way or donate it to people who will.

what do you guys think i should do with it?

I Love a Magician

i mean i'm not horribly saddened by this because from what i could tell, the dude kind of hated being alive. still my favorite author though so it did drag a tear out of this old bear's eye. ol vonnie was all about kindness.

top 5 favorite vonnegut books:

1. cat's cradle
2. mother night
3. timequake
4. slaughterhouse-five
5. galapagos

QuoteStill and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.

polkablues

Good gravy.  I've never heard a person complimented so backhandedly in an obituary before.  My favorite bit was the reference to his "despondent leftism"... followed by Vonnegut telling the funniest (intentional) joke that's ever been heard on Fox News.

But what do you expect, he's been making hamburgers out of all their sacred cows since Vietnam.  I suppose they're not going to suddenly start appreciating him just because he died.
My house, my rules, my coffee