Appropriate/comforting films for the clinically depressed...

Started by nineteenseventyseven, January 25, 2005, 10:11:36 PM

nineteenseventyseven

Like some great music albums, a movie can coax the overly emotional, prozac-sedated, and sometimes coldly unemotional movie fan. Not particularly uplifting, happy, sad, etc., there are some movies that somehow make me feel better--even only for a 90-minute running time.
Among my most recent:
Magnolia
La Dolce Vita
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Buffalo '66
Lost In Translation
...and all the other standard shit that people throw around here.
I want more.
I waste time.

Stefen

Garden State. I watch it and I know that no matter how bad things get, I am never alone.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

nineteenseventyseven

I enjoyed it first time I saw it, but naturally, I thought about it and got introspective and critical...so the second time I saw it, I was disappointed--which was a disappointment in itself.
I understand the appeal.
I waste time.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

soixante

Music is your best entertainment value.

Thrindle

Classic.

Myxo

Quote from: StefenGarden State. I watch it and I know that no matter how bad things get, I am never alone.

haha..

Stefen, you make me laugh.

Don't get carried away though. Only sometimes..

ono

Quote from: Thrindle"The Hours" is always good for a pick me up.
lolz

Seriously, though, Amelie.

cine

Quote from: nineteenseventysevenLike some great music albums, a movie can coax the overly emotional, prozac-sedated, and sometimes coldly unemotional movie fan. Not particularly uplifting, happy, sad, etc., there are some movies that somehow make me feel better--even only for a 90-minute running time.
so what you're saying is.. you're clinically depressed.

welcome to xixax, you worthless bastard.

Myxo

Can we just call this thread,

"Cathartic movies we love!"

Oh, and I'll go with "Almost Famous"..

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

samsong

Pwaybloe

matt35mm

The truth is, for me, any good movie.

When I'm feeling down (not CLINICALLY depressed, but whatever), I just want to go home and lay on the couch and watch a good movie, then fall asleep afterwards.  It makes me feel better.