Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2006, 03:23:18 PM

modage

Quote from: cinemanarkissed on August 20, 2009, 09:31:03 AM
http://specials.divertissements.fr.msn.com/cinema/avatar/default.aspx
French trailer works.

Very disappointed.  Looks great except the CG which despite Cameron's claims it's evident the technology is clearly still not there!  Otherwise it's just your average mix of Aliens/LOTR/StarWarsPrequels/Ferngully/StarshipTroopers.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Seriously? The creatures, navi, dragons, etc look cartoony as fuck! Everything else looks awesome and organic but the creatures look stupid. What's with the cartoony eyes? It would have looked a lot more real if they went with a darker shade of blue instead of that light blue that looks fake and they should have had real human eyes.

Still looks pretty badass but nothing that's revolutionary like we've all been lead to believe.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

This was pretty cool though.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

sickfins

picolas

holy shit! if i didn't know anything about this i wouldn't be interested at all! and most people don't know anything about this! what the fuck, everyone involved? you've created obscene visual expectations for something that CLEARLY looks like a cartoon.

now that fake teaser seems more like a warning than a prank.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on August 20, 2009, 09:32:04 AMOtherwise it's just your average mix of Aliens/LOTR/StarWarsPrequels/Ferngully/StarshipTroopers.

Thought the same thing. It looks like all the JarJar scenes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

while some stuff does look cartoony I'll judge it until I see it in a proper screen, maybe in the imax theaters it will look awesome. let's hope.

the few landscapes that were shown are amazing thou.

©brad

If this sumbitch bombs (and I'm hoping it doesn't), cameron and co. have no one to blame but themselves. I don't think one could ever make a film that would live up to the amount of hype they manufactured for this.

socketlevel

i appreciate the tone of the trailer, pretty intense and at least the "in a world" shit is written and not spoken.  while ya i agree looks like typical kinda stuff, my interest is still there.
the one last hit that spent you...

picolas

i really don't think it's going to make back its money. the campaign has actually crossed the line from very mysterious to arrogant. we still know almost nothing. so many people have gone to great lengths to see a PREVIEW of this. and still the mainstream doesn't know it exists. many young people don't know who james cameron is. i don't think most people will give this a second thought.

Gamblour.

I have only been kind of interested in this from the beginning (not the biggest James Cameron fan), but when I heard the whole "it's supposed to revolutionize filmmaking" or something like that, I was genuinely excited. I can't believe everybody got their dick wet over this. This looks so mediocre, the backlash is going to ruin this film. The trailer deflates every ounce of the hype. The hype/underwhelmed ratio is almost uncalculatable. Too early to tell, sure, but goddamn. Shitty trailer.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

Best three-hour video game cutscene ever.
My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

hedwig

i haven't watched the trailer.

i was never too excited about the super-advanced technology aspect of Avatar's hype. i felt like that was a way of getting people interested in a movie that is too high-concept to market any other way. it's possible we actually are witnessing a technological revolution right there in front of our eyes as we process the disappointment we are feeling. notice how we are so underwhelmed that the technological achievements demonstrated in the trailer are comparable to other equally astonishing technological feats in movies.. star wars, Lord of the Rings, ALIENS. we're disappointed by that! i'm starting to realize that i feel very detached from all this crystal clear high definition reality fanaticism. 2001 was made with "inferior" technology to all of those films and it's also a million times better on every level. we've never seen an alien (as far as we know), we've never been on another planet inhabited by life (as far as we know) so we don't know what this shit should look like. but it makes sense that computers have so many times failed to produce an organic "realistic"-looking alien creature.

so that's why i'll be okay with this movie's animation being as "average" as Star Wars or Aliens. james cameron is a fuckin weirdo who could save himself a lot of money if he realized the most awe-inspiring, lush, beautiful landscapes you'll ever see do not reside on a computer chip.

Stefen

Maybe it's just the medium in which we're experiencing it for the first time. A grainy webpage on a computer monitor probably isn't the best way to experience it for the first time.

It's like hearing Kid A for the first time on a staticky AM radio station.

I always find it funny that with how advanced technology is, it still can't figure out a way to deliver it to us in a more pristine manner.

I go back to the first time I saw the Magnolia trailer attached to Green Mile. I was blown away. The colors, the music, the atmosphere. It was a life changing event. I think about what would happen if I saw that same trailer for the first time on Youtube. I'd probably be an auto mechanic right now.