Garden State

Started by Ghostboy, March 19, 2004, 07:33:01 PM

pete

let's talk about the soundtrack some more should we?
I felt so manipulated by those songs, 'cause Zach Braff seemed to use the songs for their superficial values--because the lyrics co-relate to his scenes or because the tune sounds nice, or even worse, because Natalie Portman's character listens to it.  Whereas Wes Anderson likes to re-interpret songs like the "Oh Yoko!" or "A Quick One While He's Away" in Rushmore, Braff just seems dependent on the songs to carry through his scenes.  The most obvious part (okay, second most obvious, next to the Shins) is when they were riding the motorcycle and Nick Drake's "One of These Things First" plays in the background--Braff uses Nick Drake like the VolksWagen car commercial (The one that practically revived Nick Drake for the kids) uses Nick Drake.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: petelet's talk about the soundtrack some more should we?
I felt so manipulated by those songs, 'cause Zach Braff seemed to use the songs for their superficial values--because the lyrics co-relate to his scenes or because the tune sounds nice, or even worse, because Natalie Portman's character listens to it.  Whereas Wes Anderson likes to re-interpret songs like the "Oh Yoko!" or "A Quick One While He's Away" in Rushmore, Braff just seems dependent on the songs to carry through his scenes.  The most obvious part (okay, second most obvious, next to the Shins) is when they were riding the motorcycle and Nick Drake's "One of These Things First" plays in the background--Braff uses Nick Drake like the VolksWagen car commercial (The one that practically revived Nick Drake for the kids) uses Nick Drake.

I can't agree more. And that scene with the "What are you listening to?" "The Shins!" seemed so awkward. Like, hey, let's plug the shins and be indie cool. And the shins aren't gonna change anyone's life.

Ravi

I tried to see this on Sunday night at 10:20.  Sold out.  This is going to be big.  But I'm not as anxious to see it now...

El Duderino

i saw it again last night and i have to say i liked it a lot more the second time around. i laughed more and the show was sold out, and the audience was great. i have no beef with the music? so what if they were cut to fit the scenes, i.e. "Lebanese Blonde" when they're walking into the hotel. it doesnt take anything away from the movie. i did, however, agree with Chance when she said The Shins, it was just.....awkward, i guess. and no one has noted how believable Jean Smart's performance was. i thought she was great. for the movie as a whole, i smell ISA's
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: El Duderino...agree with Chance when she said The Shins, it was just.....awkward, i guess

Just in case you guys didn't know, I am a guy...[/b]

El Duderino

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance
Quote from: El Duderino...agree with Chance when she said The Shins, it was just.....awkward, i guess

just in case you didnt know, i was talking about natalie portman
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Sal

Quote from: petelet's talk about the soundtrack some more should we?

I can't agree more. And that scene with the "What are you listening to?" "The Shins!" seemed so awkward. Like, hey, let's plug the shins and be indie cool. And the shins aren't gonna change anyone's life.

Add me to the list you guys are on because I wholeheartedly agree.  Im glad that was acknowledged.

cine

I don't think it was just petty promotion for the Shins at all. A girl at her age would listen to them and furthermore, she used that song from them to play those specific lyrics for him.

xerxes

and furthermore, i like the shins

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: El Duderino

just in case you didnt know, i was talking about natalie portman

Oh... sorry about that...

Film Student

You guys are talking like picking music is some highly scientific process that only the most in-the-know sophisticate can do right.  I personally appreciated the fact that I didn't want to vomit at every music que.

Natalie Portman's enthusiasm for the shins and her "listen to this, it'll change your life" line rang true with me, simply because my sister is the exact same way, and I've heard her say that exact line to people many times.  

And if you want to get down and dirty about music ques, what about cameron crowe's films?  He uses music in a much more intrusive, many times arbitrary way than Braff does. He also has characters mention bands, not for any other reason than that Crowe likes that band.

In vanilla sky, cruise is picking music, "Looper? Or how about Radiohead?" And penelope cruz, "Vickie Carr or Jeff Buckley?"

And I love cameron crowe movies, and most of the time I love the music he uses.  That doesn't mean the music furthers the story, or complements the thematics, or whatever, it just creates a certain vibe, a groove for the audience to go with.  

Regardless of Garden State's flaws (and I admit there are some), I'd rather be thankful for a good first attempt by a filmmaker with promise than bitch and moan about "ooh this was awkward, ooh that was too 'indie cool'" when you could've flushed your ten bucks down the hollywood shitter for Little Black Book or Exorcist 4.

Sorry to bitch, I'm just fucking sick of the shit studios expect me to watch, and when something thats at least a little bit sincere and not so insulting comes along, I'm willing to be forgiving.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

coffeebeetle

That gave me chills.  Well said.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

pete

so your best compliment of garden state was "at least it wasn't little black book"?  garden state's song cues were not impressive, and how exactly did "The Shins" change anyone's life?  zack braff and natalie portman smiling at each other in slow motion, that was how.  
the difference between zack braff and cameron crowe was actually quite simple: crowe had better songs, and at least buckley is dead.

Quote from: Film StudentYou guys are talking like picking music is some highly scientific process that only the most in-the-know sophisticate can do right.  I personally appreciated the fact that I didn't want to vomit at every music que.

Natalie Portman's enthusiasm for the shins and her "listen to this, it'll change your life" line rang true with me, simply because my sister is the exact same way, and I've heard her say that exact line to people many times.  

And if you want to get down and dirty about music ques, what about cameron crowe's films?  He uses music in a much more intrusive, many times arbitrary way than Braff does. He also has characters mention bands, not for any other reason than that Crowe likes that band.

In vanilla sky, cruise is picking music, "Looper? Or how about Radiohead?" And penelope cruz, "Vickie Carr or Jeff Buckley?"

And I love cameron crowe movies, and most of the time I love the music he uses.  That doesn't mean the music furthers the story, or complements the thematics, or whatever, it just creates a certain vibe, a groove for the audience to go with.  

Regardless of Garden State's flaws (and I admit there are some), I'd rather be thankful for a good first attempt by a filmmaker with promise than bitch and moan about "ooh this was awkward, ooh that was too 'indie cool'" when you could've flushed your ten bucks down the hollywood shitter for Little Black Book or Exorcist 4.

Sorry to bitch, I'm just fucking sick of the shit studios expect me to watch, and when something thats at least a little bit sincere and not so insulting comes along, I'm willing to be forgiving.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

Film Student hit the nail on the head. It's not a perfect movie, and I frankly dislike Coldplay and the Shins quite a bit; but I think Braff's really tried to make something special, and that shows. I'll take faulty but sincere over slick but heartless any day (I haven't seen Little Black Book, but I'll substitute every big summer movie aside from Spiderman 2).

Film Student

Quote from: peteso your best compliment of garden state was "at least it wasn't little black book"?  garden state's song cues were not impressive, and how exactly did "The Shins" change anyone's life?  zack braff and natalie portman smiling at each other in slow motion, that was how.  
the difference between zack braff and cameron crowe was actually quite simple: crowe had better songs, and at least buckley is dead.

A:  No, my best compliment for Garden State is this:  I left the theatre excited at the thought of Braff making another movie.  I felt invigorated with the hopes and possibilites of both my own life as a young person and of cinema as a form of expression in general.  I will buy the movie. I will watch it more than once.  And I will enjoy it.  Is that compliment enough?

B:  Your statement that Garden State's song cues were not impressive is completely your own opinion and one that you're entitled to.

C: How did The Shins change anyone's life?  Semantics to the rescue!

Here's a newsflash:  audiophiles, much like cinephiles, are prone to hyperbole.  "They'll change your life" is an enthusiastic way of expressing your passion for or attachment to a particular band, film, book, etc.  Rarely is anyone's life actually changed by a song...  It's a whimsical statement meant as an attempt to express the scope of your love for that song. And whether or not YOU like the Shins, you must acknowledge that there are some people who do.  I've met them; die-hard Shins fans exist.  And that makes that moment in Garden State a legitimate, credible moment.

D:  Once again, the idea that Crowe's choice of music is better than Braff's is completely arbitrary and preferential.  Crowe uses a lot of the hip-for-the-moment stuff in his films (look at Singles), and I would almost bet my life on the fact that his new film Elizabethtown will feature songs by both Bright Eyes and Rilo Kiley, who I'm sure you hate because of that faux "indie cool" factor.  

And what the hell does "at least Buckley is dead" mean?  I like Jeff Buckley... and if you wanna go that route, "at least Drake is dead."
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter