Why, God, why?!? - Films That Should Not Get The Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, February 07, 2003, 03:31:47 AM

Gold Trumpet

considering I got into a discussion about the quality of the first remake, which she defended and i hated, I wonder what her thoughts would be on this one. Am I surprised or saddened? Naw, morons are bred everyday in Hollywood these days all in the name of "art".

The great irish author James Joyce always considered art a dirty word, and I am starting to hate the term myself. If you want his great joke aimed at the world of "art", read Finnegan's Wake, or well, try to read it.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

So the new Psycho idea was kind of stupid. So what? It was an experiment. He was trying something out and paying homage. OK, so this new idea sounds REALLY stupid... let the man have his fun. I think he makes some really great films, so he can be forgiven. Come on, Drugstore Cowboy, My Own Private Idaho, and To Die For are excellent movies. And let's not forget his appearance in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, which I thought was hilarious.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

©brad

life_boy

Yeah, but we'd like to see him be great again.  I loved all three of those movies you mentioned.  He doesn't have to piss it all away.

SubstanceD

Gus Van Sant's a moron. He's nothing more than a hack. One of the worst directors around right now.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

MacGuffin

Gus Van Sant / "Gerry"
Interview by Paul Fischer in Los Angeles

Question: Are you sick of defending Psycho?
Answer: No, I'll defend it.

Question: And do you still get asked about it?
Answer: Oh yeah, a lot of people ask about it.

Question: It's probably not something you regret having done, but do you expect a backlash?
Answer: I think we did. You know, I first told Danny Elfman about the idea and he told me that the critics would kill me.

Question: And he was right.
Answer: He was right and I didn't know whether I was going to completely agree with him, but you know, with the idea that perhaps that would happen, I guess it's somewhat like, you know, a protester going in and somebody saying, "well, the police will beat you up," you know, it's noble going in, but it hurts when it happens, you know. And I kind of assumed that might happen There was sort of a misconception which I think was based on a competitive concept. I guess I was competing with an icon and, which wasn't really the case, it was more like, I wanted to make a remake that was not only a film that was sort of not forgotten about, but also a film that where you remake or preserve the intentions of the director and not just, sort of, take the screen play and remake it. That was the practical application of it. I guess there was also the artistic appropriation angle to see what an appropriation of something like that would be like, you know, see if it would actually resemble it or not. And in the end, I don't think it really does. I mean it resembles it mechanically, but it doesn't sort of spiritually or emotionally.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

life_boy

Alexandro

The original Psycho will always be PSYCHO, any remake will be a remake, unless something weird happens. I enjoyed the Psycho remake, it's not bad or good...it offers nothing new, but is not boring, and has some level...

The original, on the othe rhand, it's a true masterpiece...I guess what's intersting about this remakes is that they go to prove that film is a medium og "magic"...even if you follow the book up to the very last shot, you can't really remake a film, just do another version, and the results depend more on chance than on planning.

oakmanc234

I'm not gonna lie. I enjoyed Van Sant's remake. I liked the look of it and the concept of Vince Vaughn playing Norman Bates. I found it harmless.

But he cannot be serious. How can he not expect people to give him shit when he speaks out about wanting to do a second remake, more or less a punk rock version of the Hitchcock masterpiece. That's just rubbing a classic into the mud. You'd think he would've learned by now (what with the overall negative consensus view from audiences and critics alike).

Dear Gus,

Find another project, dude. Get over 'Psycho' and use your talent to create some thriller of your own, or something.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

MacGuffin

Using the title of this thread towards another project:

Someone please tell me this is an April Fools joke that has just been reprinted. Sky News reports that according to The Daily Star, the hot to trot couple of Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck have secured a deal to remake the classic 1942 Bogart movie "Casablanca". Affleck will take the romantic lead as Rick, whilst Lopez will play the former lover who had jilted him but comes back into his later life - married to a French resistance leader. One source said "They are overjoyed at the prospect of being in Casablanca together. It is the chance for them to show how much they love each other through their on-screen chemistry".

Why?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

This is literally, the SHITTIEST FUCKING IDEA for a remake!!!

I mean it... Remake Psycho a million times with punk rockers and fucking aqua-marine soldiers before you put the worst idea for a couple in the worst idea for a remake!

Oh my fucking lord!!!

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

50% chance for Bruckheimer or Michael Bay being involved

budgie

Now this I agree on. Blah. At least it'll mean the end of both their careers.

RegularKarate

Just now on SNL Weekend update, they said:

"It's rumored that Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck want to star in a remake of Casablanca, this is good for people who enjoyed the original, but wish it were terrible"