The Passion Of The Christ

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2003, 01:49:48 AM

yarsrevenge

Pubrick

Quote from: yarsrevengehistoricity
that's not a word.

other than that, ur doing fine  :yabbse-thumbup: .
under the paving stones.

yarsrevenge

Pubrick

what i meant to say was, it shouldn't be a word.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Pwhat i meant to say was, it shouldn't be a word.

i believe what P meant to say was, it shouldn't be a wordicity.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=wordicity
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jokerspath

Quote from: themodernage02

As far as I know, historicity is a perfectly cromulent word...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

ono

Quote from: jokerspath

aw
That's quite a scrumtrillesscent observation of yours.

jokerspath

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: jokerspath

aw
That's quite a scrumtrillesscent observation of yours.

I feel that such observations can embiggen the spirit of even the smallest man...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Myxo

Quote from: mutinyco>Very True. I never could figure out why they couldn't cast a Jewish man with dark hair to play the role of Christ.<

How 'bout BEN STILLER as Jesus! Then we could have say Alex from A Clockwork Orange dressed in Roman fashion...

Yeeeaaahh. Seriously though. It'll go something like this.

Fade in. Jesus on a donkey.

Three hours later..

"Surely this was the son of God."

Roll credits.

MacGuffin

Over at Harvest.Org, they have some footage that Mel Gibson put together from THE PASSION - longer than the trailer, but echoing some of the exact same imagery.

http://www.harvest.org/special/index.php/1/2/6.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

dufresne

Quote from: MacGuffinOver at Harvest.Org, they have some footage that Mel Gibson put together from THE PASSION - longer than the trailer, but echoing some of the exact same imagery.

http://www.harvest.org/special/index.php/1/2/6.html

i'm anticipating this one more and more.  thanks for the link.
There are shadows in life, baby.

gtr81

Many have stated that "everyone already knows this story" which is an  inaccurate statement.  Very few people "Know" this story; what they know, is what they imagine to be the truth.  This film, and Mel's intention, is to show the depth of humiliation and degree of phyisical torture that God Himself went through on behalf of those He loves and came to save, which is paramount in telling the story of the Cross, which has heretofore bever been done cinematically. What most people do not understand, and that Mel does, is that its All About The Blood. Yeshua was not a political figure, and was not crucified for being a political extremist.  He was crucified because He claimed to be God, the creator of the Universe and all things seen and not seen. To the Pharisees and Scribes, the Jewish religious leaders in those days, this was a form of blaspheme punishable by death.  He claimed to be God, and the Jews, before Pontius, as well as most people today, call Him a liar for that claim. Its the decision that each of us come to about that claim, and about the blood that was shed on that cross, that will determine our final destination.

"My sheep recognize my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. So no one can take them from me. The Father and I are one."
Once again the Jewish leaders picked up stones to kill him. Jesus said, "At my Father's direction I have done many things to help the people. For which one of these good deeds are you killing me?"
They replied, "Not for any good work, but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, have made yourself God."

I am a bible-believing disciple of Jesus, and I too share completely in Mel's vision for this film, and being in a position of leadership myself within the Christian community, in particular within the media, I belive this film will be one of the biggest financial successes in film history.
Therefore they could not believe, because Isaiah said again: He has blinded their eyes and hardened their hearts, Lest they should see with their eyes, Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn, So that I should heal them."

"The message of the cross is foolishness to those on the road to destruction."

SoNowThen

Very nice. But I'd be spurred to say that most people who go to see this will be quite familiar with the story, hence no need for subtitles. What I mean by that is, what the hell is Mel gonna have them say that's gonna make the story any better? All he can do is show the emotions through the visuals. It's a great idea, simple at the outset, but growing in depth and power by the moment.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Cecil

hes right, everything i know about jebus i heard around the water cooler. "how was your weekend?"
"oh not too bad."
"hey, you know all about this jebus dude?"
"no, tell me more"
"well they nailed him to a cross 2000 years ago"
"wow, why?"
"i dunno. anyway, better get back to work"
"yeah, old man richardson can be a real dick. get it? richard... dick? get it?"
"i got, it, i got... jebus, give me the strength"

SoNowThen

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedhes right, everything i know about jebus i heard around the water cooler. "how was your weekend?"
"oh not too bad."
"hey, you know all about this jebus dude?"
"no, tell me more"
"well they nailed him to a cross 2000 years ago"
"wow, why?"
"i dunno. anyway, better get back to work"
"yeah, old man richardson can be a real dick. get it? richard... dick? get it?"
"i got, it, i got... jebus, give me the strength"

Classic.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.