Falling Down

Started by cowboykurtis, August 27, 2003, 10:36:12 AM

cowboykurtis

recently say this again -- any thoughts -- always thoght of it as a modern day travis bickle -- the beginning is such a blatant "homage" (if you want to call it that_ to 81/2 -- its not the greatest film, but i really like it -- Duvall is really great in it -- such a good actor. anyway, id like to hear your thoughts about this oldie but goodie.
...your excuses are your own...

jasper_window

I agree.  I love this movie.  I think it's Michael Douglas's best, or near best work with so many memorable scenes.  The scene in the beginning with the fly in the car, knocking prices back, "You forgot the briefcase," all of Frederic Forrest's scenes.  Duvall is superb.  

*************SPOILER********************

I love the part at the end when he says, "I'm the bad guy?"  To a certain degree he's got a point.

Derek237

Another great from Michael Douglas. The scene is the burger joint is the best. Sometimes everyone feels the way he feels but he actually acts on his impulses. Abandoning his car in a traffic jam, holding clerks at gunpoint demanding better service, blowing up a construction site, etc. Great stuff!

Sleuth

Great indeed, I found it at Walmart for $5.  Of course I bought it
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

i love the scene with the two old men golfing and douglas "passing through"

MrBurgerKing

I'd say this is a pretty trashy flick. Too exagerrated and always with the violent pay-offs. I love one scene though, one of the best scenes out there, where he holds up the burger joint. The manager there is like every other manager you'll see in a burger joint, perky, confident, arrogant and a passive-agressive prick, but a coward when it's time to hit in the clutch. Douglas makes a valid point though, it's the workers who comprimise the quality and integrity of fast food chains. The burgers are supposed to be plump, juicy, and delicious looking, everything built to perfection, but instead these 5 dollar an hour pricks slop it together as fast as they can because they want to go out and smoke their cigerettes. In the meantime, they oversalt the french fries and spit on the burgers when they're returned and want a correction.

There's also the fact that he walks in five minutes after breakfast ends, and the pricks won't give him breakfast. Can't they see it's a hard working man that wants something to eat for breakfast? He's not in the mood for a cheeseburger, cut the man some slack, he wants the hashbrowns. Technically it's a no-no in the business world, but since when does business take over the human aspect. Let's give this man some pancakes and maple syrup. These self-righteous pricks are so conceded in their business practice that they have no humanity left for Michael Douglas. If I owned a burger shack, if somebody came at 5 PM and asked for a pizza, I'd go to papa johns and get him a pizza. If Michael Douglas walks in at 7 PM and wants breakfast, I'd go to the supermarket and buy some eggs to scramble. These selfish pricks live by the book on everything. It's a respectable trait, but I also have a lot of contempt for those types. Uncomprimising, selfish without an ounce of humanity. This is the one spot in this flick I cheered for.

dufresne

he was just protecting his rights...as a consumer.
There are shadows in life, baby.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

ive been told that our poster here , lamas has the same haircut as Douglas has in the film

snaporaz

awesome movie. i love it when he fends off the gangsters.

"maybe if you wrote it in fucking english i could fucking understand it."

"you forgot the briefcase! you forgot the briefcase!"

hard to believe an asshat like shumacher made that.