The Cure

Started by Jack Sparrow, June 14, 2003, 11:57:02 AM

tpfkabi

hey poopsies!!
the two lists were the difference between Galore and Greatest Hits.
they share the other 10 songs.
that's why i listed it that way.
so A or B?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

godardian

Quote from: bigideashey poopsies!!
the two lists were the difference between Galore and Greatest Hits.
they share the other 10 songs.
that's why i listed it that way.
so A or B?

I'd go with choice "B."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

phil marlowe

i would just like to say that inbetween days is one of the best pop songs ever written

that is all for now

mogwai

THE DARK STUFF!

THE CURE are to launch the CURIOSA festival with support from INTERPOL and THE RAPTURE.

The band will also be joined on the 16-date travelling bash, which kicks off in LA, by Mogwai, Cursive, Head Automatica, Thursday, Muse, The Cooper Temple Clause and Auf der Maur.

The Cure will play material from their forthcoming self-titled album, which will be released on June 29. The tour will give many fans to hear the new material, including first single 'The End of the World', which the band played at the Coachella Festival earlier in the month.

According to posting on the band official website, more dates for the touring festival will be announced shortly.

Confirmed tour dates are:

West Palm Beach (July 24)
Tampa (25)
Nashville (28
New York (31)
Camden (August 1)
Cincinnati (3)
Cleveland (4)
Boston (7)
Detroit (11)
Chicago (12)
Dallas (14)
Houston (15)
Denver (17)
Salt Lake City (18
Los Angeles (27)

Ghostboy

I heard the single from the new album, and I was surprised at how it absolutely failed to excite me. Maybe I need to hear it again. It sounded unmistakably like The Cure, to a fault -- there was no surprise, none of the hooks that made me love every song on Bloodflowers. I heard their show at Coachella was pretty bad, too...should they have stopped while they were ahead?

I guess I should wait and hear the whole album.

mogwai

they should've stopped after the "wish" album and that's what they originally planned to. "wild mood swings" was a major let down and "bloodflowers" lacked substance.

Dirk

There are more dates posted, including Toronto, which I will be attending. Yay.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

tpfkabi

after much deliberation over which compilation to get, i just decided to go to Best Buy and get the first i saw of the two.
it was the Greatest Hits.
i'm glad i did get this one because it has 3 songs from the Japanese Whispers album(sort of) and those are my favorite......and they are not on Gallore.
does anyone have the complete Japanese Whispers album?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

I won two tickets to The Cure, Sept. 4  

QuoteI heard their show at Coachella was pretty bad, too...

Mexican fanbase of The Cure is INMENSE, so big that they had to  add  two  more concerts.  We'll see.
context, context, context.

I saw The Cure yesterday at the most remote corner of the mexican Sports Palace. This place has a reputation of having terrible acoustic and is known also as the Bouncing Palace. Still, it was good. They didn't play some personal favorites ('The Caterpilar' , 'Friday I'm In Love' )  but the fans seemed  very very happy.  It was one of those concerts where you regret not knowing the band's entire catalogue.
They didn't do that 'saying-goodbye-then-returning' routine, which pissed people a bit.  It lasted around 2:30 hours.
context, context, context.

mogwai

the cure have changed their line-up.

two members of the band have left, bringing a decade old line-up to an end.

guitarist perry bamonte and keyboard player roger o'donnell are no longer with the group, leaving singer robert smith, bassist simon gallup and drummer jason cooper.

a statement on the band's official website thecure.com said: "perry bamonte and roger o'donnell are no longer in the band. the forthcoming summer shows will be performed by robert smith, simon gallup and jason cooper... and others???"

the band's first gig with their new line up will be at this year's benicassim festival in spain (august 5).

o'donnell wrote a statement on his website rogerodonnell.com saying: "what is done is done however it happened. i was in a group and now i'm not ... thanks to everyone who has emailed me, i will reply to you all and i wish the cure all the success they deserve."

a revolving door of musicians have backed smith over the band's 26 year career.

o'donnell first played with the cure between and 1987 and 1990 before being replaced with bamonte - a roadie for the group.

following the departure of porl thompson in 1993, bamonte switched to lead guitar and 'o'donnell returned to the band in 1995.

mogwai

the cure have recruited their old guitarist to re-join the band's line-up.

earlier this year it was announced that two members of the band have left, bringing a decade old line-up to an end.

guitarist perry bamonte and keyboard player roger o'donnell are no longer with the group, leaving singer robert smith, bassist simon gallup and drummer jason cooper.

now, the group have revealed that porl thompson, who has played with the band on two occasions before, will be back for their summer tour.

a statement on the band's official website reads: "we are delighted to announce the return of guitarist porl thompson for the cure shows this summer! this will be porl's third time in the band - he first played from 1976 to 1978, and then again from 1983 to 1993 and it's a real pleasure to have him back once more!"

the band's first gig with their new line up will be at this year's benicassim festival in spain (august 5).

MacGuffin

The Cure to hit studio in January

TORONTO (Billboard) - The Cure plans to hit the studio in January to record its next album, according to a post from frontman Robert Smith on the group's Web site (http://www.thecure.com).

"We are still on course for a summer release, as it's all in the preparation," he said.

The-as-yet-untitled effort will be the Cure's first since keyboardist Roger O'Donnell and guitarist Perry Bamonte left the band earlier this year (former guitarist Porl Thompson has since rejoined). It will be the follow-up to 2004's "The Cure," which has sold 317,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Smith also said that he is close to completing the next phase of the band's expanded reissue series, which will include 1984's "The Top," 1985's "The Head on the Door" and 1987's "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, as well as "The Blue Sunshine," a 1983 album Smith and Steve Severin, the guitarist with Siouxsie and the Banshees, created under the name the Glove. The sets should be out by next spring.

In addition, Smith is assembling a live DVD from the Cure's summer performances and "writing some film music," according to his message.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

WTF?!?  :yabbse-huh:

Now that she's finished her "Chicago" run in London, Ashlee Simpson is going back to making music. When MTV News caught up with her on Tuesday, just before the musical's celeb-packed 10th anniversary performance on Broadway in New York, the singer revealed she has a big meeting with record executives next week to discuss her third album. "I'm going to go back and figure out what I'm going to do and start writing," she said. "I love musical theater, but it's different than the music I want to do on the album." As for what direction she'd like to take, that's still up in the air, but she does have one name on her wish list of possible collaborators. "Robert Smith from the Cure came to my last show in London, and I don't know if I was more excited about him or that it was the last show! To work with Robert Smith would be an honor."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The Cure seeing double on 13th studio album

Would one expect anything less than a double album from the Cure on the occasion of its 13th studio release?

"Rather than cut it down, at the stage we're at with the band, I'm making this record because I want to enjoy the process and be proud of the finished result," frontman Robert Smith told Billboard of the as-yet-untitled effort, due in October via Suretone/Geffen. "It isn't a commercial concern for me."

"What will probably happen is that a double album will come out like a limited edition, mixed by me," he said. "A single-disc version, which I assume will be primarily chosen by the label, might get mixed by someone else in order to have a different thing. There's a concern Cure fans will feel like they have to get both, but the fact is, I've agreed to sell the double version at a single-album price, because I feel that strongly about it. It is almost impossible to get a double album nowadays. I naively thought my standing as an artist would push aside all objections, but the world gets ever more commercial as it turns."

Tracks due to make the cut include "Lusting Here in Your Mind" ("It sounds suspiciously like heavy rock to me," Smith said), "The Hungry Ghost," "The Perfect Boy," "Christmas Without You" ("That's not a very happy song," he said) and "Please Come Home."

"There are songs about relationships, the material world, politics and religion. They're very upfront and dynamic," Smith said of the new songs. "People will be surprised how stripped-down and in-your-face the record is."

Smith also trolled through his massive catalog of demos and found three pieces dating back to the '80s that the band has revamped. "They've changed quite a lot, but the basic melody and chord structure has remained," he said. "They do have a certain old Cure-ness about them."

As usual, Smith slaved over the lyrics, contributing to a delay in completing the project. "I've gone through so many revisions, probably more than all of the other records put together," he said. "I just wanted to get the tone right to reflect how I am at the age I'm at."

Smith promised that the Cure will play new material during its fall North American tour, but not too much. "A lot of people who come to Cure shows want to hear something they haven't heard before, but they also want to hear old songs," he said.

"I enjoy playing them. But the idea of going out and doing a two-and-a-half-hour show and including 10 or 12 new songs would actually be really awful, I think. A show is an experience. Anyone coming to a Cure show isn't going to go home and think about buying the album. They've already made their minds up by the fact they've bought a ticket to see us."

Skeleton FilmWorks