Kieslowski

Started by SubstanceD, February 18, 2003, 01:44:16 PM

SubstanceD

What does everyone think about The Three Colors DVD's coming out. Those are gonna be the biggest bombs ever dropped onto DVD, I can't wait. Kieslowski is what every good director working now wishes they could be. I don't know maybe I'm strechting that? WHo knows, hit me up and we'll see.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

Ghostboy

Kieslowski is the director Kubrick wanted to be, even (well, he did admire him, at least). I can't wait to get Three Colors (my favorite is Blue). Have you seen The Decalogue? I saw them for the first time last year, when my local art house got prints of all of them. They're fantastic.

Heaven was a nice closing note to his career, too.

SubstanceD

Yeah, I got the Decalogue on DVD. The whole thing is great.

About Heaven. Well I didn't think it was all that great.

Tom Tykwer has a Kiesloski masturbatory problem I think. He did the same thing with Princess and The Warrior. Drivel.

I don't know, that's just me though.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SubstanceDYeah, I got the Decalogue on DVD. The whole thing is great.

Get ready to buy it again:

Facets will release The Decalogue

Only weeks after the long awaited release of Krzysztof Kieslowski's Color Trilogy, the director's other master work is being readied for a DVD release. Facets Home Video will release The Decalogue this summer.
Originally airing on Polish television as a ten part miniseries, each segment of The Decalogue takes place in the present, and each was shot in the same high-rise apartment building in a middle-class section of Warsaw. Each of the stories is simply numbered, without a direct reference to the corresponding commandment that underlies the story. Kieslowski preferred to allow viewers to come to their own moral and ethical conclusions based on the story. The three DVD set will include an onscreen preface by Roger Ebert, which introduces viewers to the film in a lively and informative commentary. The DVD also contains an extensive interview with Kieslowski, a visit to the set and an appreciation of Kieslowski that features his colleagues and collaborators commenting on his life and career. An accompanying booklet also includes Kieslowski’s own reminiscences about the origin of the films, a recent interview with screenwriter Krzysztof Piesiewicz, and a complete cast and credits list. The DVD set will be priced at $79.95 and will arrive on August 19th.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Is Ebert doing a regular commentary or just an introduction to the movie? The details didn't seem specific to what he was doing. Either way, since I missed out on the first set, this is major news for me because the art of Kieslowski has risen to a major importance for me.

I don't Kubrick wanted to be Kiewslowski. Kubrick was too much the adventuer in showing different worlds and visions along the lines of like Speilberg or Stone, but Kubrick identified that the approach to showing those worlds was in how Kieslowski presented them. Just action, and no underlining.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIs Ebert doing a regular commentary or just an introduction to the movie?

Disc 1: "Roger Ebert on The Decalogue" a 15 min. introduction by Roger Ebert. From the back of the box: "Informaive and helpful, this onscreen introduction summarizes the impact of the series and then points out key moments in individual episodes that resonate with meaning." The copyright on this is 2001.

Decalogue 1-3

Disc 2:Decalogue 4-7

Disc 3:Decalogue 8-10

"On the Set of the Decalogue", three minute documentary on the making of the decalogue. "Kieslowski answers questions while on the set during the production of The Decalogue. Hear the director describe his masterpiece in his own words." Copyright 1988.

"Kieslowski Meets the Press" a 41 min documentary. "The director responds to questions and statements from the entertainment press in this interview program made for Polish television. Kieslowski discusses The Decalogue, reveals his artistic process and ponders moral queries tossed to him by reporters." Copyright 1988

"Kieslowski:Known and Unknown" a 15 min documentary. "Colleagues and friends offer insights and observations about Kieslowski in this remembrance produced after the director's death. Among those interviewed are cast and crew members from The Decalogue, including actors Artur Barcis and Maria Pakulnis and cinematographer Piotr Sobocinski. Other members of the Polish film industry, including director Krzyszstof Zanussi, remark on his influence and contributions." Copyright 1998.

The set also comes with a booklet, which contains "An Introduction by Krzysztof Kieslowski", which is a reprint of the introduction from the published screenplay. Copyright 1991. There is also "Heaven: An Interview with Krzysztof Piesiewicz", in which Piesiewicz talks about the origins of the Decalaogue. It's an article, rather than a traditional Q&A. Copyright 2002.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Is it a good time for me to shed a tear for the first time in my life now?

~rouBgeruSm

EL__SCORCHO

Has anyone seen the 96 documentary "Krzysztof Kieslowski - I'm So-So..." ?

Alethia

i may shed a few as well.....

Ghostboy

August 19th is now my most highly anticipated day for releases.

The new Outkast album...

...and now this. I'll be in heaven. I finally finished going through the extra features on the Three Colors trilogy. They've reaffirmed for me my own approach to cinematic storytelling.

Gold Trumpet

New OutKast album on August 19th????? Any more details??? Tis true, this will be a great day.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

Well, you probably already know that it's a double disc...one featuring Dre, one featuring Big Boi. The title(s) have been released, but I forget what they are. And Norah Jones is one of several guests on Dre's half. That's about all I know...

Mesh

I just saw Blue for the first time last night.  Pretty stunning.  It was introduction to Kieslowski.

K's vision and use of music in Blue is utterly original and, yet, so aware of film history (ie the iris shots of the notes as they are played on the soundtrack).

I love how Julie's POV almost is her composition.  It defines and interrupts her experiences, as it does the audiences.

Queuing up the rest of the trilogy on Netflix........now.

SoNowThen

You are in for some GOOOOOOOOOD movie watchin'

I just saw the trilogy last month. On first watch, Blue was my least favorite, on second, climbed to a tie for first. Go figure.

Can't wait for Decalogue this summer!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: MeshI just saw Blue for the first time last night.  Pretty stunning.  It was introduction to Kieslowski.

K's vision and use of music in Blue is utterly original and, yet, so aware of film history (ie the iris shots of the notes as they are played on the soundtrack).

I love how Julie's POV almost is her composition.  It defines and interrupts her experiences, as it does the audiences.

Queuing up the rest of the trilogy on Netflix........now.
You ain't seen nothing yet.  I thought Blue was stunning when I first saw it, but Red is an absolutely beautiful movie.  And it's got a pretty great story, too.  :)  White, IMO, is the weak sister of the trio, but it's still good, too.