official Fiona Apple thread

Started by neatahwanta, November 29, 2003, 05:24:09 PM

Pedro

yeah, it's on slsk, too.  it's really good.  and though i haven't listened to it enough yet, i think with subsequent spins it could overtake when the pawn...

tidal just isn't as good as either of these.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02its all here, get it quick!

Okay, you're sorta the Mac again.

:yabbse-thumbup:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

This album is FANTASTIC. What the fuck? It sound accesible to me, what were the record label thinking?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Yeah the second one isn't as great, but it does have some extra tracks (like B-sides and such) I hadn't heard before.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

yeah, hey thanks for the heads up on the lesser quality tracks as that coincidentally were the versions i downloaded earlier.  i actually had to leave as soon as i got them and posted the news so i'm just really hearing it for the first time now.  it sounds much better than i had thought it might from the earlier leaked versions.  i dont even remember what the hell i was looking for when i came across it.  i was pretty shocked to find it though because i hadnt heard any word of the entire thing leaking and had been checking soulseek every once in a while without any luck.  so, glad to be of some help here, guys.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

On Geekdreams the first track "Not About Love" doesn't work, it plays the first few seconds and cuts out, or at least it did that for me.

The rest work fine.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Thrindle

I can see why a record label would call this "unmarketable".  It is not bite sized and easy to swallow.  This album makes me want to slink around the house barefoot with a cigarette in one hand, and a Manhattan in the other.

Fiona's music is an experience, not a hit single.  
(I'm still partial to When The Pawn though...)
Classic.

imawombat

:yabbse-thumbup:

it is reprehensible that sony is not allowing this to be released.  once again, people with subpar taste in music are running the show.  

i'm so glad that its at least been leaked...
these things do happen

xerxes

Ghostboy

Best album of the year (so far). I wish I hadn't heard Extraordinary Machine and Better Version of me out of context of the rest of the album, because if I'd listened to the whole thing straight through for the first time with no idea what to expect, I think..well, I have no idea what I'd think. But this is one beautiful record.

Pubrick

it's no when the pawn..

but like sum great albums, it will take many listens to really distinguish between tracks. a lot of it sounds like she never got off the piano and just kept recording the next song with the same music and everything. i dunno, i hav to read the lyrics as well.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Pubrickit's no when the pawn...
yes.  but how could it be?  
Quote from: GhostboyBest album of the year (so far). I wish I hadn't heard Extraordinary Machine and Better Version of me out of context of the rest of the album, because if I'd listened to the whole thing straight through for the first time with no idea what to expect.
yes.  together the album is much better than those songs were to me on first listen.
Quote from: xerxeswow, not about love is really amazing.
yes.  thats my favorite song so far.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Pubrickit's no when the pawn...

Quote from: xerxeswow, not about love is really amazing.
yes.  thats my favorite song so far.

There are four songs that I can't get enough of: Not About Love is one of them, along Extraordinary Machine and Better Version Of Me; the fourth is Oh Well, which has that perfectly guttural orchestral climax in the last third that takes my breath away.

Pubrick is right, many of the other songs blend in to each other, which isn't a bad thing. I don't mind listening to them over and over again to discover their subtleties.

Liner notes would be nice, though.