Broken Flowers

Started by Ultrahip, April 29, 2005, 06:11:32 PM

Ultrahip

from Jim Jarmusch. Some pictures of very-much-still-autumnal Murray, this could be cool.

http://www.ioncinema.com/beta/news.php?nid=586

nix

"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

samsong

modage

if these pictures are any indication, at some point, the sad murray thing is going to wear out its welcome.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: themodernage02if these pictures are any indication, at some point, the sad murray thing is going to wear out its welcome.

Jarmusch said that he wanted to use Murray differently then people are used to seeing him, have seen him before.  I trust him to bring that to the table.

It's Jarmusch.  I don't think he's going to be sippin' drinks in a bar or bringing stuffed animals to girls.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," BolaƱo says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

MacGuffin

Bill Murray Stars in 'Broken Flowers'

In "Broken Flowers," Bill Murray plays a lonely single guy who sets off on a cross-country road trip to track down four old flames. It's not something he'd recommend.

"For six weeks, trying it with four different actresses, I found it to be unsettling and disturbing," Murray told reporters Tuesday at the Cannes Film Festival. "You might want to try going to a circus camp or something for a couple of weeks instead. You get the same feeling trying to learn how to swing on a trapeze."

"Broken Flowers," written and directed by Jim Jarmusch ("Coffee and Cigarettes"), is competing for the top prize at Cannes, and Murray's performance was praised as one of the strongest so far.

Like the starring role in "Lost in Translation" that earned Murray an Academy Award nomination, his new performance is comic, poignant and understated.

"There's not a lot of dialogue for me, I basically have to get beaten up by these women," Murray quipped.

He is up against some formidable actresses: Sharon Stone ("Basic Instinct"); Frances Conroy ("Six Feet Under"); Tilda Swinton ("Orlando") and two-time Academy Award winner Jessica Lange. French actress Julie Delpy ("Before Sunset") is the woman who dumps him as the movie opens.

Murray plays Don Johnston, a hardened bachelor who receives an anonymous letter informing him that he has a 19-year-old son who could be trying to track him down.

Don doesn't like traveling, but he sets off to find the women who might be the boy's mother. Along the way, he is confronted with questions about the life he chose to lead, the chances he gave up and the way people change over time.

"The film is all about questions, and gracefully, not about answers," said Swinton. "Not enough films are, so many films are interested in decisions and answers, even before one question has been asked."

Murray mused about some of life's missed opportunities.

"We all have someone that we think, 'Maybe I didn't give myself enough of a chance, or give that person enough of a chance,'" he said.

Then, true to form, the former "Saturday Night Live" star had a few comic back-and-forths with his questioners.

One young South American reporter brought up "Ghostbusters" and said the movie's ghouls had terrified him as a child.

"You're safe now, we got them," Murray reassured him. "We frightened a lot of children at that time, you're not alone."

Then a European reporter asked 54-year-old Murray whether he could relate to playing a man in a mid-life crisis.

"I'm just getting to my mid-life crisis, ma'am, so stick around," Murray said. "But I do have crises on a regular basis. Of all kinds."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

Oh curse you motherfucker, those are only film clips
I like to hug dogs

cowboykurtis

IMdb:

Murray Wants a Break from Acting

Bill Murray has announced plans to ditch his tiring movie career - in favor of mowing lawns and reading books. The Lost In Translation star, 54, admits that since filming his new Jim Jarmusch-directed movie Broken Flowers recently, he's begun appreciating just how much he needs a break. He says, "Doing all those movies in a row, I didn't have anything left. At the end of Jim's movie I was empty, dry as a bone." Murray goes on to describe his experience shooting The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou as "a penitentiary sentence" because he was separated from his family for so long. He adds, "I'm really looking to cut lawns for the summer. I don't really want to work at all." Murray also intends to sit back, read books and play the guitar and piano.
...your excuses are your own...

modage

its weird, with all the stories about how miserable murray was during the life aquatic on all the extras he seemed to be having a great time.  i guess its like when trent reznor said he was in a happier place during the fragile.  :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

then what is Rob Schneider's Hard R?
http://imdb.com/title/tt0457456/fullcredits

somebody told me it was a sketch movie, but they might've been joking.  Also these credits keep changing.  Jack Handey was listed as one of the writers last week.  Fake?
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Bill Murray Talks About Scenes With Stone

In "Broken Flowers," Bill Murray plays a former Don Juan who tracks down four old flames one of whom is played by Sharon Stone.

Murray has fielded many questions at the Cannes Film Festival about how things went with the "Basic Instinct" star, who smolders in her role as a seductive and bubbly mom.

"It was just a movie scene, it wasn't the real deal," said Murray, deadpan. "We'll see if we hook up down the road. ... You know, she does those movies where you kill people. You gotta watch out for her."

Joking aside, Murray said he admired Stone for her energy and professionalism.

"She came in like she was fueled by nitroglycerine," he said. "She came in really strong, and it was really intense from take one. She really goes for it."

"Broken Flowers," written and directed by Jim Jarmusch, is among the strongest in the lineup of 21 movies in the festival's main competition. Awards will be announced Saturday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

noyes

hah. this should be good.
south america's my name.