Brooklyn's Finest

Started by MacGuffin, December 09, 2009, 05:01:44 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: March 5th, 2010 (wide)

Starring: Richard Gere, Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke, Ellen Barkin, Wesley Snipes 

Directed by: Antoine Fuqua 

Premise: Three intertwining stories about policemen in Brooklyn.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Wait a minute... so I can get "Training Day", "Boondock Saints", and "Crash" all in the same movie???  That will save me so much time!
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Stefen

This was actually good. It's really nothing like Boondock Saints or Crash. It's pretty genuine. Great performances from all involved. The two that I think were the best were Cheadle who plays an undercover cop infiltrating the deepest depths of the NY drug scene and Richard Gere who plays a coward cop 7 days away from retirement.

I guess you could compare it a bit to Training Day (which I didn't really care for) but it has a ton more layers and a lot more going on.

It's pretty awesome. Check it out if you get a chance.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

I read something somewhere about this movie having some sort of absurd twist towards the end that ruined the whole movie for some people.  Anything like that stick out to you?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Not really. The twist ending didn't bother me. I guess I could see how it would bother other people since most people would rather have everything tied up after 90 minutes in a tidy cute bow. I like grit, though.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

The twist was in the Sundance cut but was removed from the final version.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

edison

Quote from: modage on March 15, 2010, 10:05:23 PM

Having seen the movie, what was the twist?

Pubrick

haha, either stefen saw the sundance cut somehow, or he just invented a twist ending in his mind.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

The version I saw had a timestamp on the bottom.

children with angels

Whoa, that IS quite a twist.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

modage

Quote from: edison on March 15, 2010, 10:13:39 PM
Quote from: modage on March 15, 2010, 10:05:23 PM

Having seen the movie, what was the twist?

MEGA SIDEWAYS UNIVERSE SPOILERS Gere blows his brains out.END SIDEWAYS UNIVERSE SPOILERS
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Spoiler.

Nope. Didn't get that twist. Everyone pretty much dies Departed style EXCEPT Gere. Gere was the only character who had any sort of redemption.

edison

Wow, that twist is seriously fucked up.

MacGuffin

Underrated. Great performances all around, but Gere owns this film. He will get a Best Actor nod from me at the Xixaxies. The beginning pulls you in and does right in caring about these characters, even those who are doing wrong are given an understanding. Tension builds and builds until the hour mark where it is so thick you can feel your body wound up. The film's downfall, though slight, is having a somewhat clear idea of how things will end for the characters, given how each of their respective dilemmas are presented.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks