Bulletproof Monk

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 07, 2003, 11:12:47 AM

CollinBullock

I thought it had a really good premise, and I went into it expecting some goofy fun.  And the movie was allright, I enjoyed myself most of the time, but I felt that the the film makers were holding back.  They weren't allowing themsleves to just goes as fucking ridiculous and crazy as the movie REALLY needed to be.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

Recce

I'm almost embarassed to say this, but I honestly didn't hate it. I went in with very low expectations, but it wasn't too bad. Sean Williams just might be able to break the Stifler type cast. I was mostly impressed that the movie development wasn't based around the whole 'Monk meets Punk' aspect(at least not in a 'Bringing down the house' way where that's the movie, the culture clash). It had a story(far fetched and weak as it may have been) and it played it out with the characters it had. I also noticed a sort of weird use of CU's during the action scenes. You don't see that much. It was kinda cool. All in all, for a stupid movie, it was pretty good.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

RegularKarate

Ummmm yeeeeeaah... I went to see this when it came out with my dad... there wasn't really anything else showing back home.

I went in expecting to be able to let my gaurd down and enjoy a stupid action movie... but I was still disapointed... Bad wire-work, bad special effects, poor use of Stiffler (or whatever his name is, he can be funny, just not in this) and poor poor Chow Yun Fat, who really doesn't like this type of wire-worky, outlandish kung-fu movie, but did it for Crouching Tiger because the script was so good and now he's gonna get stuck with these bad roles.

It could have been good, but it just didn't work.  I did like the fact that he learned all his kung fu working at the theater.  (but I think even that's been done)

Recce

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. It was bad, but my expectations were so low(i.e. a title like bulletproof monk) that it impressed me, but still bad.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ShanghaiOrange

I liked the part where the evil Wizard killed Marlon Wayons.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

cowboykurtis

why pay to willingly waste 2 hours of your precious life?
...your excuses are your own...