The Official Writer's Block Thread

Started by Thrindle, January 30, 2005, 11:15:51 PM

kotte

"You do drugs when you watch films, not when you make them"

as my directing teacher told me. It's true.

I think at first drugging to stimulate creativity is fine but I think it can easily lead to a more permanent block.

And have your creative moments depending on drugs...that's unhealthy in a business that depends on just that...your creativity.

I believe in finding healthy more permanent ways to come up with quality material.
But I agree, there's some crazy shit to be found in "the fog".

Thrindle

I see what you're saying Kotte, it's like sitting around stoned and talking about the cracks in the floor.

Having said that, some of my best writing experiences have been with a couple glasses of wine.  Though no one would ever read them...

So yeah, Kotte, I think you're right.
Classic.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

...god damn writer's block...

god damn it to hell.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

kotte

Quote from: Walrus...god damn writer's block...

god damn it to hell.

Amen to that!!!

Pubrick

i hav never had writers block.

i don't write.
under the paving stones.

kotte

kotte

I would sell my fucking soul to the Devil if he could plant just one good idea in my head!!! :evil:

Sigur Rós

Quote from: kotteI would sell my fucking soul to the Devil if he could plant just one good idea in my head!!! :evil:

Like Karen Blixen did...

Thrindle

I know I started this thread... but I figure, just give up writing completely.  You probably already suck.   :twisted:
Classic.

kotte

We've got wind!!!

The way out of writers block is simple, painful and working. The solution is writing, just writing your way through it. Write anything: a poem, a short, a book, whatever. The painful part is, things you write stink like mama's underwear sunday morning. Thing is to never stop moving that pencil. You'll never get to the top and the downhill slope if you don't work your ass off to get there.

I just realized this...

Alethia

pta kinda said that didnt he?  in a way?

atticus jones

me think kotte IS pta...eye m not thee own lee won...am I?
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

Pubrick

Quote from: atticus jonesme think kotte IS pta...?
i sincerely hope not.
under the paving stones.

Rudie Obias

usually what i do is watch movies.  just watch a lot of movies.  movies that your work is inspired upon.  i sometimes watch the "that momnet" documentary on the MAGNOLIA dvd.  and if that doesn't work i smoke many cigarettes and drink many cups of coffee and pace around my apartment for hours talking to myself and figuring out what i am really doing with my writing.  then if that doesn't work, i go out for coffee and have a sit down with my friend larry.  we map out what i'm writing and that usually gives me inspiration to work.  changing location sometimes works for me.  having no internet access is good too.  i love days where i write pages upon pages upon pages upon pages.  i can write 40 pages in an evening if the material is there.  but there are definately looooooooong streches of time that i don't write a single word.  but in that time, i always think about writing and my piece.  after all, i must be doing something right if i'm still writing the same thing after four years.....
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

classical gas