I just saw Hard Eight for the first time

Started by Banky, December 01, 2003, 07:43:58 PM

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SoNowThenall of a sudden Scorsese has a copyright on steadicam shots and quick cutting montage sequences??

your being to generic w/that...theres more to it than just steadicam/quick cutting montage or else nobody would see the blatant comparisonns/ripoffffs from marty.....

Alethia

kassius

Quote from: Bankywas there any significance in the bloody sleve thing at the end?

Yes.  

Of course, what we learn is that Sydney had killed John's father in Atlantic City.  He ended up leaving that in his past and until he ran into John outside the diner... the issue never came back into his life.

The blood on his sleeve, of course, was there because he killed the man in the hotel room that owed Clementine money.  By looking down on it, he realized what a terrible thing he had done... but just like John's father... he covered it up, and moved on.

I think it was a nice twist to the end of the film.  The entire point of the movie, was MOVING ON.  A more dubbed-down idea imposed in "Magnolia".

Don't get me wrong... this movie is no Boogie Nights, no Magnolia... and no Punch Drunk Love.  It was a good independent film... and most noteably, a great story backed up by a pretty darn good cast for a low-budget film.

For his first film... you saw a lot of potiental in PTA's future.

Spike

I also saw "Sydney" after I saw "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia", but I wasn't dissapointed. I liked it immediately. And for a directing debut this is amazing.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Bankyits definantly not amazing

I wouldn't brush it off that easily.  This movie has several factors that make it so realistic and mind-blowing...so subtley that we may not notice it at first.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alethia

Quote from: ckad79The blood on his sleeve, of course, was there because he killed the man in the hotel room that owed Clementine money.  

no he didn't....

Finn

The blood on the sleeve was from Jimmy's murder. He never killed that guy in the hotel room. In fact, the original ending was that the guy in the hotel room finds Sydney and kills him.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Alethia

mr_boz

wow - you guys are really beating the shit out of poor SYDNEY.  perhaps he deserves it?  i don't think so - this film holds a pretty special place in my heart; it's one the best christmas movies i've ever seen.
- the commentary track with PBH is over the top.  i love to listen to that while i make eggs.
--> ccb

Alethia

Quote from: mr_bozwow - you guys are really beating the shit out of poor SYDNEY.  perhaps he deserves it?

no shit beating, just pointing out his mistake.  if it was rude i apologize.

mr_boz

Quote from: ewardif it was rude i apologize.

no worries // i'm half-joking here.  i admit that the first time i saw SYDNEY i didn't really 'get it', but it has easily become one of my favourite films over the years and i actually watch it more often than MAGNOLIA and BOOGIE NIGHTS combined (that says more about it's length though).
sydney was a badasssssss back in the day; he can take the abuse ;)
-ccb

ComixFan

I just saw this for the first time, as well, and I thought it was excellent. Another PTA masterpiece. My rankings:

1) Magnolia
2) Punch-Drunk Love
3) Hard Eight
4) Boogie Nights

cowboykurtis

Quote from: ComixFanI just saw this for the first time, as well, and I thought it was excellent. Another PTA masterpiece. My rankings:

1) Magnolia
2) Punch-Drunk Love
3) Hard Eight
4) Boogie Nights

you ranking really doesnt matter in the scheme of things
...your excuses are your own...

kassius

That's right. It still doesn't take away from the fact, that he was covering up something that he did... that was wrong and moved on.

Quote from: eward
Quote from: ckad79The blood on his sleeve, of course, was there because he killed the man in the hotel room that owed Clementine money.  

no he didn't....

tpfkabi

http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2000/scorsese/000301_mfe_scorsese_ptanderson.html

"Due to the way he claims his very promising first picture, Sydney (retitled Hard Eight for release, in 1996), was butchered by its producers (a DVD of his original cut is available for comparison), Anderson has become exceptionally sensitive about maintaining control over his work."

is the DVD a director's cut?
i've been thinking about getting the DVD for Hard Eight lately.
unfortunately it's very hard to find in stores.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.