Michael Mann

Started by MacGuffin, June 03, 2003, 09:37:53 AM

MacGuffin

Universal Holds on to Its VICE
Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx in negotiations to take the lead roles in a feature version of Miami Vice.

Still more news about TV shows getting the big screen treatment: Universal is in final negotiations with Colin Farrell to play Detective James "Sonny" Crockett and Jamie Foxx to star as Detective Ricardo Tubbs in the film version of Miami Vice.

Michael Mann executive produced the original series, which ran on NBC from 1984-89. Mann is also in negotiations to write, produce and direct the film version. Anthony Yarkovich, who created the TV series, will executive produce.

The project has been facilitated by the merger of Universal and NBC. Reviving Miami Vice on television is also under consideration. The newly merged company has also announced it will release the Universal-owned Miami Vice series on DVD.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Oh, come on.  This sounds fake.

MacGuffin

Mann, Berg given keys to Uni 'Kingdom'

Michael Mann and helmer Peter Berg are teaming up on the thriller "The Kingdom" for Universal Pictures. Mann will produce the feature through his Forward Pass shingle, with Berg directing. Berg most recently directed the football drama "Friday Night Lights." Matthew Michael Carnahan has been brought on to write the screenplay for "The Kingdom" based on an idea brought to the studio by Berg and Mann. "The Kingdom" follows the story of a team of U.S. government officials who work with a Middle Eastern government to investigate a bombing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

imay get shunned for this -- many say mann to be such a creative visionary -- i recently rewatched heat and mohicans -- i found them both tedious and sloppy -- i dont htink i can say there is one mann film i really like
...your excuses are your own...

jasper_window

MacGuffin

Colin Farrell May Star in 'Miami Vice'

Colin Farrell says he's not bonded to Bond, but thinks it would be nice to star in "Miami Vice." The star of the upcoming historical epic "Alexander" said he's had no talks with producers to replace Pierce Brosnan as the superspy James Bond in a new 007 movie, and laughed at the idea of sporting the legendary tuxedo.

Brosnan, 51, who has played Bond in the last four 007 films, says Farrell would be his ideal successor.

"I'll give it to Colin Farrell. He'll eat the head off them all," Brosnan said following a recent entertainment awards ceremony in Dublin, Ireland.

But Farrell, saying that everyone keeps asking him about Brosnan's endorsement, says, "I never heard a thing. He probably wants 10 percent!"

While he nixed Bond, the 28-year-old actor confirmed that he's considering stepping into the role of police Detective Sonny Crockett for a movie version of the '80s TV drama "Miami Vice."

Farrell would play the part originated by Don Johnson. Jamie Foxx is negotiating to co-star as his Crockett's partner, Ricardo Tubbs, played by Philip Michael Thomas in the TV series.

Michael Mann, the director of "Collateral," "Heat" and "The Insider" and the executive producer of the "Miami Vice" TV series, is developing the story, which Farrell said wouldn't go the comedy route, like the films inspired by "Dragnet" and "Starsky & Hutch."

It's not a comedy at all. It's cool," said Farrell in an interview. "Michael Mann wrote it and when he writes it's good and it goes pretty deep."

Farrell said he wasn't sure whether his Crockett would have the three-day growth of beard that Johnson turned into an '80s fashion statement, but he would definitely have an updated wardrobe.

"I don't think I'll be wearing a silver shiny suit," he said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

Oh, come on. This sounds fake.

mutinyco

I just saw Collateral. This has to be one of the STUPIDEST movies I've ever seen! This shouldn't have been a super-cool neon-blooded Michael Mann thriller. It's a dark comedy! It should've been done in the dead pan manner of Kubrick or like the Coens' Fargo. What type of broke-ass hitman hires a cab to drive him around? What type of incompetent hitman shoots somebody out the window? What type of stupid hitman then gets into a damaged cab and hides the body in the trunk? What type of shithead hitman then STAYS in the cab with the dead guy in the trunk even AFTER it's already been pulled over by the cops? Then talks to the dispatcher, letting himself be known even after the dispatcher learned about the cab from the police report? And on and on...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Stefen

Um, the kind of hitman in a movie?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

Quote from: mutinycoI just saw Collateral. This has to be one of the STUPIDEST movies I've ever seen! This shouldn't have been a super-cool neon-blooded Michael Mann thriller. It's a dark comedy! It should've been done in the dead pan manner of Kubrick or like the Coens' Fargo. What type of broke-ass hitman hires a cab to drive him around? What type of incompetent hitman shoots somebody out the window? What type of stupid hitman then gets into a damaged cab and hides the body in the trunk? What type of shithead hitman then STAYS in the cab with the dead guy in the trunk even AFTER it's already been pulled over by the cops? Then talks to the dispatcher, letting himself be known even after the dispatcher learned about the cab from the police report? And on and on...

i agree, and the HD looks like shit.  I don't know why everyone said Jamie fox was really good in it, i thought he was horrible.  The riding away in the subway at the end was the worst of it.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

pete

Quote from: mutinycoI just saw Collateral. This has to be one of the STUPIDEST movies I've ever seen! This shouldn't have been a super-cool neon-blooded Michael Mann thriller. It's a dark comedy! It should've been done in the dead pan manner of Kubrick or like the Coens' Fargo. What type of broke-ass hitman hires a cab to drive him around? What type of incompetent hitman shoots somebody out the window? What type of stupid hitman then gets into a damaged cab and hides the body in the trunk? What type of shithead hitman then STAYS in the cab with the dead guy in the trunk even AFTER it's already been pulled over by the cops? Then talks to the dispatcher, letting himself be known even after the dispatcher learned about the cab from the police report? And on and on...

I know, 'cause the hitmen in real life--they've NEVER been caught all the time and aren't in the news everytday, they never leave DNAs and fingerprints and messy corpses that lead them to testifying against the other dudes who've hire them.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mutinyco

Quote from: peteI know, 'cause the hitmen in real life--they've NEVER been caught all the time and aren't in the news everytday, they never leave DNAs and fingerprints and messy corpses that lead them to testifying against the other dudes who've hire them.

Exactly why it should've been a comedy. Like I said. Though it certainly held my interest longer that The Life Aquatic.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Stefen

Are you just trying to be different?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ono

He liked Gigli and hated Finding Nemo...

Weak2ndAct

Surprise abound on the Collateral dvd:

- A Mann commentary track that is not advertised anywhere (found under 'Audio Options')
- 5 Easter eggs on disc 2 (just hit left or right on each of the pages) with brief behind-the-scenes stuff, the most interesting detailing Cruise's staging in the cab, and why he changes it up during a crucial scene.