brockly

top 5...

1. quantum of solice
2. let the right one in
3. the dark knight
4. the wrestler
5. wall-e

worst: tropic thunder

that's a fantastic top 5, but all in all im in agreeance that 2008 was weak. even though i haven't seen synecdoche, milk or most other movies mentioned in this thread...

MacGuffin

1.)

2.)

3.)

4.)

5.)

6.)

7.)

8.)

9.)

10.)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Neil

Excuse me sir but, 6-10?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

RegularKarate

I didn't know that anyone liked Blindness... I had heard only bad things... good to see it on your list, I added it to my netflix queue:

Stefen

^lol.

Personally, I thought Blindness was one of the WORST movies I've seen all year. Oh, god, it was bad. It's worth a watch just for the lulz.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 03, 2009, 02:19:01 AM
top ten 2008

I like your list, specially 1-4 BUT the exclusion of Let the Right One In worries me, don't know if you saw it, if so, why didn't make the final cut? if you haven't seen it you need to stop doing whatever you're doing and run to watch it NOW..

So about the list, I also like that you included Blindness which I thought was great, at moments it was really irritating to watch, but the end result was great; the inclusion of Benjamin makes me happy as I loved that too, i can see its flaws in the script or whatever many ppl didn't like but I was really into it the whole time, and on a technical level it was astonishing.

Pozer

Quote from: Stefen on June 03, 2009, 12:01:17 PM
Personally, I thought Blindness was one of the WORST movies I've seen all year. Oh, god, it was bad. It's worth a watch just for the lulz.

yeah, Regular, you should definitely watch that one with your bad movie club.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Fernando on June 03, 2009, 12:48:53 PM
I like your list, specially 1-4 BUT the exclusion of Let the Right One In worries me, don't know if you saw it, if so, why didn't make the final cut? if you haven't seen it you need to stop doing whatever you're doing and run to watch it NOW..

Didn't resonate with me as much as these did. It would probably make my Top Fifteen, though.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Neil

No, seriously mac, i think 8 is in Bruges  (sp?) what are the other ones?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Fernando

seriously? ok

6.  blindness
7.  the visitor
8.  Synecdoche, New York
9.  in bruges
10. elegy

Pas

Quote from: Pozer on June 03, 2009, 01:21:33 PM
Quote from: Stefen on June 03, 2009, 12:01:17 PM

yeah, Regular, you should definitely watch that one with your bad movie club.

OH yes definitely perfect type of movie for that

abuck1220

1) wendy and lucy (reichardt)
2) synecdoche, ny (kaufman)
3) wall-e (stanton)
4) the visitor (mccartney)
5) the wrestler (aronofsky)
6) burn after reading (coen)
7) milk/paranoid park (van sant)
8) standard operating procedure (morris)
9) stepbrothers (mckay)
10) frozen river (hunt)

also good: vicky christina barcelona (allen), bigger, faster, stronger (bell), the promotion (conrad), slumdog millionaire (boyle), tell no one (canet), let the right one in (alfredson), the strangers (bertino)

Pozer

you so 2000 and late.

also, no wonder you thought Dark Knight sucked. Wendy and Lucy? c'mon. who you kiddin besides yourself if you say you liked that movie? c'mon.

abuck1220

maybe you would have liked wendy and lucy better if it posed such deep philosophical questions about human nature as what would you do if you were on a ferry and you had like this bomb detonator that would totally blow up this other ferry, but the thing is, that other ferry (carrying a bunch of convicts, by the way) ALSO had a detonator for YOUR boat and you're like man, they're convicts they deserve to die, why should all these good people have to die when a boat of convicts (ps, zeus from no holds barred is on that shit) is right over there and then you're like man, that's the fucked up part about the joker, some men just like to watch the world burn. DEEP.