New Fall Shows

Started by Kal, May 16, 2006, 09:54:40 AM

polkablues

Quote from: othersparrow on October 06, 2006, 08:41:48 AM
I didn't want to start another thread for a show most of us are probably not going to watch in a few weeks so I thought I'd just post here instead.

I watched the first episode of The Nine last night and obviously it's no Lost and it might lose steam by mid-season but it's off to a promising start.  It's got the flashback thing but it's not as "Lost-y" as Heroes (despite a former Party of Five cast member playing a doctor AND Hurley's mother playing the mother of 2 hostages) and it's a better written show.  So no, Polka, it's not that we're all spoiled by Lost.  This is definitely worth watching.  Plus, it's got the Velvet Teddy Bear of acting, Chi McBride. 

Five minutes into the show, I remember thinking, "This is one of those shows that I'll watch the first one, I'll never watch again but I'll read up on it to find out what happened."  But I got into it after a while.  Nothing that I can recall made me cringe or roll my eyes so that's a good sign.  Actually, I take that back.  The Alvy Singer-esque rant Scott Wolf has about ATM lines that gets him and his girlfriend to go into the bank was very forced.  But other than that, I never felt like I was one step ahead of it.  I'm interested to find out why a 5 minute robbery turned into a 52 hour standoff, why the hostages changed so drastically afterwards, and why they are all so drawn to each other on the outside. 

I don't want to say I'm hooked yet, but I'm taking the bait.

You see, and I'm all on the fence about this one.  I'm willing to keep watching for a while, but most of the cast left me unimpressed and everything that happened that wasn't directly related to the bank made me very sleepy.  But I'll give it a chance.

The show that's legitimately worth watching that no one's mentioned yet, though, is "Six Degrees".  It's refreshing, in that it's one of the very few non-high-concept shows to come out in a while.  It's about characters, not about some expansive plot.  And Campbell Scott is fantastic in it.  He's like the real-life version of the type of person that "House" is a caricature of.  It's the sort of work that should win all sorts of awards, but won't, because it's not flashy and obvious enough.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

Quote from: polkablues on October 06, 2006, 07:54:40 PM
The show that's legitimately worth watching that no one's mentioned yet, though, is "Six Degrees".

Whenever I heard something about Six Degrees, I thought, "Isn't that called The Nine?" and vice versa.  Damn those number-named shows!

MacGuffin

Knights Of Prosperity:  :yabbse-thumbup:
In Case Of Emergency:  :yabbse-thumbdown:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 04, 2007, 02:25:25 AM
Knights Of Prosperity:  :yabbse-thumbup:
In Case Of Emergency:  :yabbse-thumbdown:

I just switched over to a South Park rerun at 9:30.  I have no regrets.

But yeah, Knights of Prosperity shows some promise.  The last few years, it seems like we've only been granted one good new comedy per season, but this season might actually have TWO! 

xerxes

MacGuffin

Quote from: Lucid on January 05, 2007, 12:05:31 AM
I tuned into the premiere of "Dirt" on Tuesday; what a painful, excruciating experience that was.

Flipping channels, I ended up watching about 20 minutes of it, not because I was interested, but I was trying to figure out why the hell David Fincher was in it.

Quote from: xerxes on January 05, 2007, 09:05:11 PM
yay food network.

Word to your mother.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

NBC Announces Their Fall Schedule

(Someone should re-title this thread for 2007-2008)

NBC's 2007-08 lineup features the new dramas Journeyman (Mondays, 10 pm/ET), a romantic-mystery from the Emmy Award-winning producers of The West Wing, concerning a San Francisco newspaper reporter (Kevin McKidd, Rome) who inexplicably begins to travel through time and alter people's lives; and "Chuck" (Tuesdays, 9 pm/ET), a comedic spy thriller about an unassuming computer geek who is unexpectedly catapulted into a new career as a government agent after spy secrets are mysteriously embedded into his brain.

Also new this fall is the drama Bionic Woman (Wednesdays, 9 pm/ET), a re-imagination of the classic from David Eick (Battlestar Galactica) and Jason Smilovic (Kidnapped). Bionic Woman stars Michelle Ryan (EastEnders) as a young woman whose life is radically altered and empowered after a car crash. Additionally, Life (Wednesdays, 10 pm/ET) features a complex police detective (Damian Lewis, Band of Brothers) who's given a second chance on the force after serving years in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

The new dramedy Lipstick Jungle, from bestselling author Candace Bushnell (Sex and the City), is set to debut in January 2008 on Sundays (10 pm/ET). Created by Eileen Heisler and DeAnn Helene, (How I Met Your Mother), the series involves the lives of three high-powered friends (Brooke Shields, Suddenly Susan, Kim Raver, 24, and Lindsay Price, Beverly Hills, 90210) who are determined to achieve their dreams and to do it on their own terms.

The latest new comedy from NBC is The IT Crowd, based on the acclaimed British series that takes a behind-the-scenes peek at the misunderstood techies (Joel McHale, The Soup, and Richard Ayoade, The IT Crowd (U.K. version) who toil in the Information Technology department of a large, impersonal corporation. The IT Crowd is scheduled to join the NBC schedule during the course of the 2007-08 season.

In addition:

• NBC "bulks up" with 30 combined episodes of Heroes and Heroes: Origins, an innovative new spin-off that each week will introduce a new character — one of whom will be chosen by viewers through the Heroes website on NBC.com to become a cast regular the following season.

• The network has ordered 30 half-hours of the hit series The Office, including five hour-long episodes, and also has increased the season order for "My Name Is Earl" to 25 episodes.

• Jerry Seinfeld, star of the classic NBC mega-hit Seinfeld, returns to the network to create and star in 20 unique live-action comedy "minisodes" inspired by his experiences creating the upcoming DreamWorks animated feature film Bee Movie, in theaters November 2, 2007. NBC Universal will also have the exclusive U.S. broadcast and cable network rights to the film, which features Seinfeld as the voice of Barry B. Benson, a disillusioned bee. Produced by Seinfeld and DreamWorks, the 20 comedy shorts will give viewers a glimpse at Seinfeld's behind-the-scenes antics during production of the movie. The "minisodes" will run on NBC's primetime schedule this Fall, as well as on NBC.com, on designated days before and after the release of the film.

• Series renewals include the Peabody Award-winning drama Friday Night Lights, now shifting to Friday nights (10 pm/ET); Scrubs, also a Peabody winner, for a seventh season; and the venerable, Emmy-winning Law & Order, for its historic 18th season.

• NBC's acclaimed Thursday "Comedy Night Done Right" lineup will next year lead off with My Name is Earl at 8 pm/ET, which will be followed by 30 Rock at 8:30 pm, the Peabody Award-winning The Office at 9 pm and Scrubs at 9:30.

• New NBC series Bionic Woman and Life will be re-purposed on SCI FI Channel and USA Network, respectively, shortly after their original telecasts on NBC.

• NBC will kick-start the weekend on Fridays (8 pm/ET) with "Game Night," a rotation of game shows that features 1 vs 100 (hosted by Bob Saget) for eight weeks, followed by six weeks of the new variety competition series The Singing Bee in the fall. The program is a competition that challenges contestants to accurately sing the lyrics to popular songs — even when the band stops playing.

Later in the fall, NBC plans to introduce the unscripted series, World Moves, a talent competition program from executive producer Randy Jackson (American Idol) that features dance teams from around the world auditioning for their shot to come to Los Angeles and compete for a global championship and an international touring contract.

After Sunday Night Football concludes its season in January 2008, the network will unveil a new regular line-up. After the return of Dateline NBC (7 pm/ET) will be the 18th season premiere of Law & Order (8 pm/ET), followed by the fourth season debut of Medium (9 pm/ET) and the premiere of the sexy new dramedy Lipstick Jungle (10 pm/ET).

NBC PRIMETIME SCHEDULE FOR FALL 2007-08

*New programs in CAPS (with the exception of "ER")

MONDAY
8-9 pm Deal or No Deal
9-10 pm Heroes
10-11 pm JOURNEYMAN

TUESDAY
8-9 pm The Biggest Loser
9-10 pm CHUCK
10-11 pm Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

WEDNESDAY
8-9 pm Deal or No Deal
9-10 pm BIONIC WOMAN
10-11 pm LIFE

THURSDAY
8-8:30 pm My Name Is Earl
8:30-9 pm 30 Rock
9-9:30 pm The Office
9:30-10 pm Scrubs
10-11 pm ER

FRIDAY
8-9 pm 1 vs 100/THE SINGING BEE
9-10 pm Las Vegas
10-11 pm Friday Night Lights

SATURDAY
8-9 pm Dateline NBC
9-11 pm Drama Series Encores

SUNDAY (Fall 2007)
7-8 pm Football Night in America
8-11 pm NBC Sunday Night Football

SUNDAY (January 2008)
7-8 pm Dateline NBC
8-9 pm Law & Order
9-10 pm Medium
10-11 pm LIPSTICK JUNGLE

2007-08 NEW SERIES DESCRIPTIONS

New Dramas

JOURNEYMAN &mdash From Emmy Award-winning writer-producer Kevin Falls (The West Wing) and Emmy Award-winning director-producer Alex Graves (The West Wing"), "Journeyman" is a romantic mystery-drama about Dan Vasser (Kevin McKidd, Rome), a San Francisco newspaper reporter and family man who inexplicably begins to travel through time and change people's lives. Along the way, he also must deal with the difficulties and strife at work and home brought on by his sudden disappearances. However, his freewheeling travels through the decades reunite him with his long-lost fianc´e Livia (Moon Bloodgood, Day Break) — which complicates his present-day life with wife Katie (Gretchen Egolf, Martial Law) and their son. Reed Diamond (Homicide: Life on the Street) and Charles Henry Wyson ("The Curious Case of Benjamin Button") also star.

CHUCK — From executive producer, Josh Schwartz (The O.C.) and executive producer-director McG (Charlie's Angels, We Are Marshall) comes a one-hour, comedic spy thriller about Chuck Bartowski (Zachary Levi, Less Than Perfect) — a computer geek who is catapulted into a new career as the government's most vital secret agent. When Chuck opens an e-mail subliminally encoded with government secrets, he unwittingly downloads an entire server of sensitive data into his brain. Now, the fate of the world lies in the unlikely hands of a guy who works at Buy More. Instead of fighting computer viruses, he must fight assassins and international terrorists. With the government's most precious secrets in Chuck's head, Major John Casey (Adam Baldwin, My Bodyguard) of the NSA assumes the responsibility of protecting him. His partner is the CIA's top agent (and Chuck's first date in years) Sarah Walker (Yvonne Strzechowski, Gone). They'll keep him safe by trading in his pocket protector for a bulletproof vest. Also starring are Joshua Gomez (Without a Trace) as Chuck's best buddy Morgan and Sarah Lancaster (What About Brian?) as Chuck's ever-supportive sister Ellie.

BIONIC WOMAN &mdash Struggling as a bartender and surrogate mom to her teenage sister, Jaime Sommers (Michelle Ryan, EastEnders) didn't think life could get much harder. But when a devastating car accident leaves her at death's door, Jaime's only hope for survival is a cutting-edge, top-secret technology that comes at a hefty price. With a whole new existence and a debt to re-pay, Jaime must figure out how to use her extraordinary abilities for good, while weighing the personal sacrifices she will have to make. Ultimately, it's Jaime's journey of self-discovery and inner strength that will help her embrace her new life as the Bionic Woman. Also starring are: Mae Whitman (State of Grace) as Becca, Jaime's younger sister; Miguel Ferrer (Crossing Jordan) as Jonas, the man who employs Jaime's boyfriend; Chris Bowers (Rescue Me) as Will, Jaime's boyfriend, who performs the operation; Will Yun Lee (Witchblade) as Jae, the specialized operations leader; and Molly Price (Third Watch), as Ruth, Jonas' second-in-command.

LIFE — From Rand Ravich and Far Shariat, the executive producers of the feature film The Astronaut's Wife, and David Semel, who directed the pilot of NBC's Heroes, Life is a new drama about a detective who is given a second chance. Damian Lewis (Band of Brothers) stars as complex, offbeat Detective Charlie Crews, who returns to the force after years in prison, thanks to close friend and attorney Constance Griffiths (Melissa Sagemiller, Sleeper Cell), after serving time for a crime he didn't commit. The cast also includes Sarah Shahi (Rush Hour 3) as Charlie's skeptical, demanding partner, Robin Weigart (HBO's Deadwood) as their hard-hitting lieutenant, and Adam Arkin (Chicago Hope) as former cellmate Ted Early.

LIPSTICK JUNGLE — Based on the best-selling novel by Candace Bushnell (Sex and the City), this fun dramedy follows three high-powered friends as they weather the ups and downs of lives lived at the top of their game. Nico (Kim Raver, 24), editor-in-chief of a hot fashion magazine, wants to replace her boss as CEO. Movie exec Wendy (Brooke Shields, Suddenly Susan) finds even her most earnest efforts may not be enough to balance career and family. And free-spirited designer Victory (Lindsay Price, Beverly Hills, 90210) longs to make her dreams come true, and maybe find Mr. Right along the way. Armed with humor and strength, these three modern New York women support one another through the triumphs and tears that are all part of making it big in the Big Apple. Written by executive producers DeAnn Heline and Eileen Heisler (both for How I Met Your Mother, Three Sisters) and based on the book by Bushnell.

New Comedy Series

THE IT CROWD — Ever wonder what's up with those quirky techies who come to fix the office computer when no one's around? The IT Crowd is an offbeat series, based on the critically acclaimed British comedy, that offers a humorous behind-the-scenes peek at the people who truly keep the office humming. Roy (Joel McHale, The Soup) and Moss (Richard Ayoade, The IT Crowd U.K.) are the misunderstood masters of their high-tech domain, but they lack the people skills to befriend anyone but each other. Their company's head is Denholm (Rocky Carrol, Chicago Hope), who wants the IT department to stay segregated and forever banished to the basement.

New Alternative Series

THE SINGING BEE — The Singing Bee is a variety-competition show that challenges contestants to accurately sing the lyrics to popular songs — even when the band stops playing. In this karaoke showdown, there's no middle ground for partially correct answers -- contestants must be perfect or they're out. Family-friendly, broad in appeal and conducive to playing (and singing) along at home, The Singing Bee features popular, recognizable music that inspires hilarious wrong answers and amazing performances by those rare contestants who somehow manage to get every word right.

WORLD MOVES — From executive producer Randy Jackson (American Idol) and the creators of the World Hip Hop Championship comes one of the most visual and captivating performance competition shows ever to hit TV. Thousands of dance teams from around the world will audition for their shot to come to Los Angeles and compete for a global championship and an international touring contract. The live television event features young teams of five to seven members demonstrating their athleticism, creativity and innovative choreography in a presentation that highlights both the competition and the personal drama unfolding within each team. Viewers from across the globe will vote via the Internet, by text message, or by phone to eliminate one team each week. Ultimately, it's not just about winning a competition; World Moves involves stories that change lives and bring the world together.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: kal on May 14, 2007, 10:27:19 AM
THURSDAY
8-8:30 pm My Name Is Earl
8:30-9 pm 30 Rock
9-9:30 pm The Office
9:30-10 pm Scrubs

Dear Fox:

Take notes.  THIS is how you treat your critically acclaimed sitcoms.

modage

yeah and i just read ABC isnt picking up the new Mitch Hurwitz sitcom, good thing they still have room for the Geico cavemen.  :doh:

oh well, i don't know that i'm ready to move on from Arrested anyhow.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

my friend is working on the caveman show.  i don't know if that means it will be good or not, but y'know...

Kal

Its the first time I see something like this. Its interesting how online communities and fans are starting to make a difference, at least a small one for now.

To the fans of Jericho:

We have read your emails over the past few days and have been touched by the depth and passion with which you have expressed your disappointment. Please know that canceling a television series is a very difficult decision. Hundreds of people at the Network, the production company and the incredibly-talented creative team worked very hard to build and serve the community for this show -- both on-air and online. It is a show we loved too.

Thank you for supporting Jericho with such passion. We truly appreciate the commitment you made to the series and we are humbled by your disappointment. In the coming weeks, we hope to develop a way to provide closure to the compelling drama that was the Jericho story.

Sincerely,

Nina Tassler, President of CBS Entertainment

polkablues

They should be humbled; it was their own scheduling strategy that fucked the show over in the first place.

MacGuffin

Quote from: kal on May 20, 2007, 08:28:35 PM
Its the first time I see something like this. Its interesting how online communities and fans are starting to make a difference, at least a small one for now.

It must have worked:

CBS eyes 'Jericho' resurrection

CBS is in talks to bring back the post-apocalyptic drama "Jericho" with a seven-episode midseason order.

There are no deals in place, and there are several hurdles to overcome, but the fact that the network is moving to resurrect the canceled freshman series is a testament to the legions of loyal fans who have been relentless in their campaign for saving the show, including sending tens of thousands of pounds of nuts to top CBS executives.

Talks are under way with cast members of the CBS Paramount Network TV series, including star Skeet Ulrich, to return. The network is said to have options on all actors, but deals need to be modified to reflect the unusual timing and size of the order. Proposed budget reductions would lead to some of "Jericho's" characters not returning for the abbreviated second season.

Serialized drama "Jericho," co-created and executive produced by Stephen Chbosky and executive produced by Jon Turteltaub, chronicles the lives of the residents of the town of Jericho who survived a series of nuclear explosions throughout the U.S.

Efforts are under way to assemble a writing staff for the proposed seven-episode order, with several original staff writers expected to return.

Carol Barbee, who served as executive producer/showrunner on the show last season, has been tapped as executive producer/showrunner on another CBS series under her overall deal at CBS Par TV, the midseason drama "Swingtown."

It is understood that she would be able to do "Swingtown" and "Jericho," probably serving as consultant on "Jericho."

"Jericho" had a promising launch in the fall but struggled in its return to the schedule after a three-month hiatus, when it had to face the biggest show on television, Fox's "American Idol."

Still, the show was popular on the Web and on other digital platforms and developed a strong fan base that refused to accept CBS' decision last month to cancel the show after one season. "Jericho" supporters launched the nuts campaign, which was inspired by a line in the first-episode finale uttered by Ulrich's Jake Green in response to the neighboring town's request to surrender. "Nuts," he said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

So apparently, Time Warner digital cable is offering free previews of the new NBC shows.  Over the weekend, I watched two of them: Chuck and The Bionic Woman. 

Both are suprisingly very good, Chuck in particular being pretty great.  As long as they can keep the humor and action fresh from week to week, this is going to be the breakout hit of the fall.  Don't let McG's association with this fool you; it's by far the most promising pilot I've seen since Lost.

Bionic Woman is pretty good as well.  The first episode isn't spectacular and there was one cringe-worthy expression of "girl power" by way of an out-of-place reference to the first Superman movie but other than that, it's got tremendous potential.  And the fact that the producers of Battlestar Galactica are doing this show (as well as 2 cast members) gives me hope that it will get better as it goes on; at the very least it won't get worse.

Raikus

I Amazon Unboxed the 4 new shows.

I agree with Chuck being the best of the bunch. The jokes were actually jokes that "geeks" would make. And they were funny. Normally when someone tries to make a show like this (I'm looking at your grave "Jake 2.0") the dialogue sounds like a writer trying to write geek. This actually came off genuine. Plus it has Adam Baldwin in it looking frumpy. I just wish he'd brought Vera along too. Giving it a solid A.

Bionic Woman was "ok" and it will be interesting to see if the plot was just the exposition they needed to lay down for the series to take off. It was pretty straight forward. I'm happy about the cast -- 3 BSG members by the way - Starbuck, Chief and Lampkin -- especially having Miguel Ferrer (Crossing Jordan) and Molly Price (Third Watch) as the handlers. And in case anyone was wondering - $50 Million is the new $6 Million. B- for now, but it shows the potential of becoming an A show rather quickly.

Life I really liked even though it has the conventional detective show framework. Damian Lewis (Cpt. Winters) is just a great actor and I've liked him in everything I've seen him in (save for the Shit Weasel movie). He's really good in the role and is pretty much the only thing that helps free this show from the conventional mold. However they just tried this same show with Raines -- Jeff Goldblum as a detective that sees dead people -- and NBC ditched it pretty fast. I just don't think NBC is the right network to let a show like this succeed. And Goldblum was definitely more of a "name" than Lewis. I liked the attitude of the show though, B.

Journeyman was the one I was looking least forward too and it pretty much was what I expected. It was smarter than I counted on and the way the lead convinces his wife he's telling her the truth was very well done. However the show is just kind of aimless right now. It's biggest influence is Quantum Leap. It even has the same device (jump back into someone's life and fix it for the best). He remains himself though, so no drag dress in this show. They did give it a more interesting direction with making his long lost, dead lover a fellow Journey(wo)man as well. It could find its audience though. C+
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.