another list-500 greatest albums

Started by classical gas, November 24, 2003, 12:24:58 AM

classical gas

my apologies to all the list-haters, but this seemed like one to spark some debate, or just for people unite over their hate for lists.
they're a bit of a guilty pleasure for me....here's the link...

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=2164

SHAFTR

Two interesting things I found...
1.)  Al Green's Greatest Hits, I find it weird that they'd let a greatest hits on that list.
2.)  The Bends over OK Computer
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

classical gas

Quote from: SHAFTR
2.)  The Bends over OK Computer

that is odd.  ok computer is, imo, far better, but they're different...

i think 500 may be a little too much, plus, it is pretty typical.  you have to go through a lot of dylan and stones and beatles to get to the interesting ones...i saw three, i think from roxy music...i haven't even heard of them until i came to this website...

Jeremy Blackman

Sgt Pepper and the White Album are appropriate, but Rubber Soul and Revolver don't need to be that high on the list.

Radiohead made it...

The Bends #110
OK Computer #162
Kid A #428

...but why would they put the Bends ahead of OK Computer, put Kid A so far behind, and leave out Amnesiac?

No Sigur Rós?  :roll:

I like the inclusion of Weezer.

Ghostboy

Isn't 500 places too inclusive for any list, though?

classical gas

i agree about the beatles albums, although revolver is great.
this is a pretty mixed up list...
they have "forgot the name of the album" vol.1 by robert johnson in the top 100, but the vol. 2 in the 400's...

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanSgt Pepper and the White Album are appropriate, but Rubber Soul and Revolver don't need to be that high on the list.

Radiohead made it...

The Bends #110
OK Computer #162
Kid A #428

...but why would they put the Bends ahead of OK Computer, put Kid A so far behind, and leave out Amnesiac?

I agree with Amnesiac not being on there, I really feel that Kid A is much better.  I think Revolver might be the Beatles best.  Rubber Soul is when they started making that turn, and begin experimenting.

Surprised Velvet Underground was as low as they were.

classical gas

Quote from: GhostboyIsn't 500 places too inclusive for any list, though?

i agree completely...soon enough, if you can make a record, you'll be on a list of greatest albums...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SHAFTRI agree with Amnesiac not being on there, I really feel that Kid A is much better.

Amnesiac is [probably] my favorite Radiohead album.  :yabbse-sad:

Quote from: SHAFTRI think Revolver might be the Beatles best.  Rubber Soul is when they started making that turn, and begin experimenting.

What, Norweigan Wood? It seems so typical to cluster so many Beatles albums at the top of a list. And I would put Abbey Road above both of those.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: SHAFTRI agree with Amnesiac not being on there, I really feel that Kid A is much better.

Amnesiac is [probably] my favorite Radiohead album.  :yabbse-sad:

Quote from: SHAFTRI think Revolver might be the Beatles best.  Rubber Soul is when they started making that turn, and begin experimenting.

What, Norweigan Wood? It seems so typical to cluster so many Beatles albums at the top of a list. And I would put Abbey Road above both of those.

They are just that good.

godardian

The Smiths released five albums in their all-too-short career.

Four of those five albums are on the list.

#216 - The Queen is Dead

#295 - Meat is Murder

#365 - Louder Than Bombs

#481 - The Smiths

Even though it doesn't mean anything, and I'd rather eat sandwiches off of many of the other LPs mentioned than actually listen to them, it still makes me happy.

Nice to see PJ Harvey's Rid of Me and To Bring You My Love- her two greatest contributions- in there, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

freakerdude

I don't think I care what the editors think are the top 500....way too long to analyze for me.

I better get this damn thing in the mail since I have a script, though!
MC Pee Pants

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

classical gas

phil marlowe

things like that is so stupid. i really hate it. it makes some people(stupid ones) actually believe in those lists, like they ever meant anything, and they will go out spend all their hard earned cash buying all those dylan and beatles records, go home and pretend to actually like them.

in the top hundred, i didn't even like the majority.